Panda won't uninstall

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by main, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. main

main Guest

I'm having major problems with Panda, first it hogs up memory (256mb), secondly I bought Adobe Ps and I get an error message about Memory allocated, trying freeing up some memory or something like that.

So I am trying to remove panda, it has about 5 running process using 8,000 and up.

The problem is that there is no uninstall feature for Panda anywere in my PC.

In the add/remove programs when I hit uninstall it just does nothing, and in the program itself there is no uninstall option.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Reinstall and immediately uninstall. See if that will work.

3. main

main Guest

will do

4. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi Main
    IF you still have problems, try this method.

In order to uninstall the Panda Antivirus Titanium program manually proceed as follows, deleting the entries in the Registry and files detailed below. However, if at any time the entries or files cannot be found, continue with the uninstallation process, as depending on the version installed the files or entries may or may not exist.

Follow the steps below:

First attempt to remove Panda from Control Panel, Add remove programs. Once this is done, make sure that there are no Panda Services running in the Services section in Control panel. Ensure they are stopped and set to disabled.

Open the Registry from Start, Run, write REGEDIT, and click on OK. Highlight 'My Computer' at the top of the list, then go to 'Edit' and 'Find'. Type 'panda' into the box and then click on 'Find Next'. This will search the Registry for panda files. When it brings up a folder or file, press 'delete' or right-click on the highlighted file/folder and select 'delete' from the menu to remove it. Then press 'F3' to search again and find the next Panda entry.

Continue to search and delete Panda entries in the Registry until no more entries are found. Then repeat this process, this time searching for 'pav'. When both searches are complete, close the Registry and restart the computer.

Once this operation has been carried out, using Windows Explorer delete the Panda Software folder that is below C:\Program files. You should also delete the following files Windows \system: PAV.SIG, APVXD.VXD, APVXDUT.VXD, PANDA.CHP.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI main.....

Did you want to uninstall Panda because you think it's tying up memory and therefore Photoshop won't run properly?

I cannot vouch for Panda's usage on memory but I can tell you why you are getting the Photoshop error, and maybe thinking it's Panda related.

First, your quote "first it hogs up memory (256mb)," is that the amount of RAM your system is running? As 256Mb seems to be a coincidence in number?

OK, to Photoshop.

Photoshop requires a lot of room to "move" and it's need to have space is a deciding factor in running it on a slower system. 256Mb would be the absolute *minimum* I would consider running PS on, particularly v5.0 and up.

You have to 'allocate' P/Shop's memory usage to get full benefits out of it.

Along the top of PS's Menu Bar: Edit/Preferences/Memory and Image Cache.

Allocate it at least 50% ~ although I think by default it might be 50%, so long cannot remember ~ if so, make it 60-70% of the available RAM so it has plenty of room to operate in. PS requires this as it's a huge program using vectoring/redraw/etc. and won't operate without that occasional error message if you don't give it a decent slice of the RAM. Especially when working on a very large file, say in the 30Mb and up range. It needs room. :)

I have 1Ghz of RAM, but I still give it 70% of that to work with when in PS.

Hope this helps with the P/Shop memory error problems. Will leave Panda to the other guys here. ;)

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

6. Main

Main Guest

Thanks for the info, I'm on dial up so I am DL'ing a free version of Avast right now then I'm going to tackle removing Panda.

I fixed the Photoshop problem, some dude told me to install PS in safe mode and I did and everything went perfect.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, since I'm on 256mb do you guys think I should maybe get Command Av since it's pretty light? I admit I do use FTP and Limewire so I wanted something a little stronger than F-prot or Nod.

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

command does run light and it is very effective.

8. main

main Guest

BigC, so outt Command, EZ TRUST AV, F-prot which one would you get?

Thanks for the feedback

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I like f-prot and command equally they are a little different programs but both great. They would be my choice, command probably just a little more. eTrust is good also but I prefer command and f-prot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.