Panda Titainium....any views?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kentish, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kentish

Kentish Registered Member

As the title says, does anyone have any views on Panda Titainium anti virus?

I have it, but never see a mention on here, which makes me wonder if my happiness with it is a little misplaced.

So does anyone?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used it in the past, pretty fair detection rates, I just didn't like it because of the lack of options on how to handle a virus or trojan. If someone wants an av that they can set and forget and they don't want to much control over settings it is not to bad.

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I trialed Panda Titanium last Fall and I didn't keep it long.
    I liked Titanium, but it ran "heavy" on my computer(Windows XP SP1).

4. bknows

bknows Registered Member

I have it, but don't like it. Too cumbersome to use and the firewall died on me for no reason. Had to reinstall.

Poor GUI and not intuitive. Just lately detected the SC-keylogger, which is a basic, non-stealthy logger (when compared to most).

I'd rather use Trend PC-cillin, but too cheap to buy it. I got Panda free for life during a promotion. About ready to move to avast.

What the heck do you like about it?

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Panda titanium doesn't have a firewall that is platinum 7.0 That has the firewall.

6. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I can't evalute Panda Titanium from a technical standpoint, and the product i have used is the online version. I like to run several online scanners once in a while because i feel if my resident program allowed the infection, then what are the chances that it will detect it later during a scan? Still, my unscientific view is that it is pretty good at detection.

Just for fun, here are my data:

Resident Scanner: Norton Anti-Virus

Online Scanners and the number of different viruses (note, i emphasize different type of viruses, not total number of viruses because to me, picking up 2 different is probly better than picking up 50 of the same virus)

RAV (the winner!): 12
    Panda Platinum: 6
    PC-Cillon (trend): 2
    AVG: 1
    McAfee: 0

Also, this could be construed as a slam of Norton, but consider, these AV's never had to face all the viruses that Norton AV did stop (hundreds!)

My opinion is Panda has better detection than most.
    Also, I personnally like that it gives specific information, i.e. the directory (excuse me! folder!) and the file name the infected file.

7. Kentish

Kentish Registered Member

Here is the reason for my thread..

I have been running Panda Titainium for a couple of years now, and it has performed very well, and always had good written reviews.
    However the lastest reviews of anti virus software I have read, gave it a less than good report, and said F-Secure was the AV of choice. Now seeing as my license is up for renewel very soon, I thought I would do some digging, taking advice from the written article and these forums.

Firstly, having downloaded F-Secure trial version, and installed it the required reboot would only allow me into safe mode, so safe mode I went and unistalled F-Secure.

I then installed AVG, and updated Digital Patrol which I have used for back up for a little while, ran them and no virus found.

I then also downloaded and installed Avast, ran it and it showed I have virus infections, mainly in the Digital Patrol files and Panda files.

My point is do I trust Avast, or the other 3 which all say no infection present. Also, why does F-Secure not allow correct booting of my pc (xp home) which I would love to run to confirm or deny Avast in its claim (this is because F-Secure got the top marks in this review I have)

Just to also add, my pc also has protection in TDS3, Wormguard, Regprot, Process guard has been paid for and am just waiting for license code all of which are running in the background so to speak. As for my anti virus protection, I only ever run them on demand.

Cheers

NB Just to add that I have downloaded and installed the trial version of Nod32, and that also reports no virus. So if Panda isnt that bad Avast is?

8. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

9. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

I installed Panda Titanium 2004 on my Windows XP Home SP1. I was disabled any other AV services including Kaspersky and NOD. After restart the computer, Windows don't start any more, it crashed when I logged, I was swith on my pc using safe mode and then deinstall Panda completely, beware. I believe that this AV is incompatible with NOD. (I disabled any of the AV, including services, task, etc)

10. Trevor Marsh

Trevor Marsh Guest

I don't know about 2004 but Panda Titanium is the perfect "run and forget" AV. I have been running it on my second machine for the last year (I run it as an FTP server) and it has caught everything. 2004 is somewhat more customizable in it's scan option, but I have found it to be light on system recourses and reliable as an AV, while being completely transparent. What more do you need? Sorry, while VB results give an indication I do not take them as gospel, I find them slightly suspect to be honest.

11. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

I reviewed the proggy (panda titanium 2004) for a harcover mag. has its pros and cons. Target market for the soft is Joe Average et al., with no knowledge of viruses.
    The proggy minimizes user interaction, viruses are cleaned without notice. Quit good detection....
    But take in account that sometimes the GUI eats huuuuuuuuuuuge amount of memory (like 30MB), heuristic is not default option etc. Plus if you start full scan, go for lunch.
    I personnaly did not like the instalation - it is in flash, and you have at the end close one window manually.
    Anyway, good option for the money. But if you want more control, go for Panda Platinum or other antivirus.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.