panda question.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Nike_P, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nike_P

Nike_P Registered Member

Hi everyone.
    I got an e-mail that i should test new Panda 2008, and that they got some new help-technology Unice- Collective Intelligencetecnologi and that they are now available to detect MORE "3-Milion" threat's.

I remember someone said there is more then 4 milion of malware's out there, and is it true that Panda can detect more then 3 milion, since i got an e-mail from them, i'm lost....o_O

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Theres a great deal of Yes an No's about Panda, and I look at it this way, Quite a few years ago Panda seemed to be all the rage, and Now because Panda doesnt get mentioned on av-comparatives eveyone seems to have given it a bad review. Facts are these, Panda Can and does work very well,and is still doing very well in the general marketing of AV's. Maybe its not everyones personal choice, but it is the choice of several million,who fiund it working to their satisfaction. I personally used Panda about 5 years ago when I got my first PC,and It worked really well for me also. Today I use something else, not that I dont trust Panda, its because my subscription ran out,and I was given subscriptions to other AV's by the Company I work for.

The Bottom Line: Panda is a reliable product, otherwise they wouldnt sell so many. If Panda detects 3 Million then fine, if it detects 4 million, then even better, but next year there will be 7 million threats, and who are you going to look to then? If you want to test it, then do so, you can always change if your not happy ;)

3. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Panda has som funny ways of naming their products and describing their qualities, but besides that I agree with you DVD+R. I always felt safe using panda regardless tests :thumb:

4. Waterfox

Waterfox Registered Member

Well I also used to use Panda in the past, but the program was prone to crashing from time to time on my system and the boot up sequence took ages so I looked elsewhere for an AV.
    Maybe now those issues are fixed but with so many good antivirus alternatives out there, no need to settle for something that may cause you problems while using it.

5. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Panda is a good AV product. I just think that both the Panda AV+Firewall and Panda Internet Security, is using a little too much resources. I doesen't feel heavy, it just uses a hell of a lot of RAM.
    Also be aware that you wont be able to use VPN with Panda products.

Cheers

6. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

It was heavy for me,
    Have they just put the name to sound new? Are they just updating megadetection? I would think so, by just upgrading the engine.

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm not aware of their latest version.

I remember that in the past I had extreme difficulty uninstalling Panda.
    Something about manually disabling a service, perhaps changing the registry.

Last time I checked, when performing an online scan, Panda started copying (without permission!) files to a windows system directory. Not what I would call acceptable behaviour !

And isn't the company somehow related to Scientology ?

8. notsupplied_31

notsupplied_31 Registered Member

Someone posted in a Firefox Usenet newsgroup that Pandasoftware's Online Scanner 2.0 did not work with Firefox 3 beta at all, so I decided to try it in Internet Explorer 7 . It worked fine after installing two ActiveX controls, one of which can be disabled in Internet Explorer|Tools "manage Add-ons" if desired. Even though I have Earthlink dial-up which makes it a little slow to load I have run Panda Activescan for a few years now occasionally. I think it now includes anti-rootkit scanning as well as anti-spyware.:)

9. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

I have to say I sort of respect Panda for the stance they took with AV-Comparatives. I didn't know some AV vendors pay different amounts and some get tested for free. That was at the Panda blog..

The only things I have a problem with in terms of Panda is they do not encrypt their signatures. Detection in MY opinion was very good...

10. Ximi

Ximi Infrequent Poster

i used panda long time ago but it was to heavy for my pc.
    but the detection was great.

11. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

You accepted the activeX component, so in a way you gave it permission to install itself in the directory of it's choice.

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Accepting ActiveX DOES NOT mean I gave permission to copy files to the windows directories. How would I know that my Windows XP system would be altered ?

There is no uninstall option.

And in my view, accepting the installation of an ActiveX does not equal unconditional surrender.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  13. Ximi

Ximi Infrequent Poster

Yes there IS a Uninstall Option!
    Go to: Start - Control Panel - Remove Software: and there you will find Panda OnlineScan.

14. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

There is a link on their page stating "Give us you opinion". Do that if it disturb you that much. Shouting here won't have much effect.

Btw, you know that many activeX or other program install themself in the windows directory, mostly under SoftwareDistribution(in Vista).

15. Fly

Fly Registered Member

When I noticed it was copying files to a Windows system directory, I immediately aborted the scan. I've never seen an uninstall option.
    I've tried a number of online antimalware scans, and Panda was the only one behaving like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.