Panda Platinum Or NOD32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Shaker, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Hello. I'm using Panda Platinum 7 on my XP Home. It's the free version Panda has been offering. Before that it was NAV. I don't use Panda's firewall, I use ZAP. Although Panda has not given me any problems since installing, I am thinking about purchasing NOD32. I've tried the trial version of NOD32 and it seemed like a very good product.

I am not an expert when it comes to antivirus', so I thought I could get some views from the experts here. I am what you would call a average computer user. I practice safe computing 99% of the time. Very rarely do I go to questionable sites. I don't participate in P2P. With that said, will NOD32 have a big advantage over Panda?

Thanks in advance.

2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Panda Plantinum is the free offer one, and it's not bad, I am using it on three computers here in the house, and NOD32 on this one. IMO Panda doesn't even come close to comparing to NOD32. Welcome to Wilders.

3. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Shaker, as far as virus detection goes you are better off with Panda. the defination update is also excellent. NOD32 will use less memory and the scanning speed is way way faster than Panda's. if you're not having any system instability or slowdowns i don't see any reason why you should pay up for NOD32. but if you like you can try the trial version and see what suits you.

4. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

And just on what info do you base your bout statement?
    Try to tell me why Panda is no good......or are you also a man who just goes for scanning speed?

When I try to download the eicar.com2.zip with Panda Active.......it won't come down!!!!!!!!
    You do that with Nod32.....just guess.......it is not seen by Nod, so what's so great about Nod?

Another thing: Panda is also very light on resources and has great updates.
    But......if you can only piss off products you've never even tried, it's a bit weak to me.

I'm amazed all the time when the 'experts' can only state that Nod is the best. Where the hell is this based on? I've caught far more with Panda than many 'great' scanners. And also......without a difficult configuration!!!!
    Panda is set just great standard......you should give it a try before always stating that Nod32 is the 'one and only' good av scanner.

:D Putin

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You can't compare this 2 AV.

NOD32 is a lot of better that Panda... Panda is a second line AV...

6. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

That's a bad example btw, the eicar detections are all a matter of configurations.

7. Benvan45

That may be so, but why is it so hard to get it configured properly with Nod?
    To me, that's a bad thing.......AV progs should have a standard configuration to detect such things, as Panda!
    I don't think it's right if you have to figure out a complex configuration for the day to day virus attacks now!
    For IT use it's important to make all sorts of configurations, but not for the average AV scanner customer. You tell me how many people really understand this whole topic, coming straight out of the shop?
    Most people want a cleancut straightforward AV program. Panda certainly is one of them and Kav 5.0 also.

And finally, how do you configure Nod, so it detects the eicar.com2.zip when trying to download? I wonder.........

;) Putin

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  8. Benvan45

On what info do you base this conclusion? Please let me know, as it will be interesting for a lot of people.

9. rayik

rayik Registered Member

I've used Panda Titanium for the last 2 years (Titanium has the same AV engine found in Platinum). I have no complaints about Panda and think it's good.

Just built a new computer 3 weeks ago and put trial version of NOD32 in it. Liked it a lot and bought it this week.

Which is better? I don't know. I liked Panda. I like NOD32.

Differences I've noticed. For me, NOD32 with full protection settings (advanced heuristics and check all files) will do a full system scan a lot faster than Panda (I have 3 hdd with about 130GB of data). NOD32 has less processes running (2 versus 3) but I'm not sure it matters.

To me (and I'm no expert) they appear to take different approaches to the same task. Panda has a giant av database that is added to often. NOD32 has a small av database and relies upon heuristics to a large extent to block viri.

Personally, I went with NOD32 because it uses little system resources and it can potentially block new stuff when it first comes out, before definitions can become available.

However for computer illiterates (no insult intended), I'd recommend Panda Titanium. Low system usuage, no configurations, just works automatically. That's why I convinced my parents and sister to buy it and put it on their family computers.

10. Benvan45

I second that all the way......and I appreciate your findings!!!! Thank you!

11. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I'm no expert either, but I've paid some casual attention to NOD32 updates recently (perhaps the past year) and they are adding definitions at an impressive rate (impressive to me, at least). Admittedly I only also keep a casual watch on Bitdefender's database (not Panda or KAV, etc).

I don't think anyone outside of ESET knows the size of NOD32's database, but the added def's are posted and archived for anyone to quantify the rate of additions. I wish someone with a better point of reference would comment further on this.

12. sard

sard Registered Member

Maybe someone can decipher the results at http://www.av-comparatives.org/ as NOD32 and Panda are 2 of the AVs being tested.

As the tester states his final rankings are very subjective because he has weighted the various sections differently, and I don't really understand the difference between the sections so can't work out which is best :oops:

13. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Since it looks like it's 50/50 between NOD32 and Panda Platinum, I decided to give NOD32beta a trial run.

With NOD32beta running, I ran the eicar tests. It did warn of all three before loading. The warnings for the zip and zip2 were a little strange. There was no option to delete or clean, etc. Couldn't figure that one out. Other than that, NOD32beta seems to run fine on my computer (Almost five year old Gateway 700 Select, 20 Gig HD, 443Ram). I think I like the feel of Panda Platinum better though.

said by AMRX
    AMRX, could you please explain why I am better off when it comes to Panda's virus detection?

14. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

As a user of both Panda and NOD I consider both of them as the best two AV's out there as I don't like McAfee or KAV. I currently have Panda configured as on access and Nod as on demand. I have had Panda for 3 years now and NOD for only about 6 months. As far as speed goes there are two types of scan speed and actually user felt system slowdown. In terms of scan speed Panda is not that far behind at least on my two systems( a PII desktop and a P4 Laptop). Nod only finishes scans about 4-6 mins faster on both systems, however especially on the laptop having Panda as the on access scanner saves about 45 mins or so of battery power as Panda only scans each file once until the contents change, thus saving battery power and allowing for negiligible hit on perfomance, with NOD as on access I will only get about an hour and a half to 2 hours of life out of the battery, with Panda I get 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Service from Panda has been stellar as each time I have needed Panda support they have replied in less than 2 hours on each occasion. Never had a false positive with Panda although I have had 2 with NOD. My experience with NOD support was rather poor and I am still awaiting an answer on a false positive from back in the end of May. Additionally Panda passes all tests at testvirus.org where as Nod fails tests 5,23,24 and 25(24 and 25 are actually tests for you r email servers but Panda passes so why can't Nod? I really like the configuration as I can switch between them as needed. Why keep them both? I think that heuristics is the way of AV in the future and these have the best heuristcs availalbe IMO. Personally I would say they are both about equal, with Panda being far better for newbies that aren't familiar with AV products and how to handle false positives and NOD having the very poor default settings that it has. Just my two cents. They are both great so take your pick or use both as I do.

15. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough response. I think I will be staying with Panda. It has run very smoothly on my computer. I have had no problems with it. I like the way it updates everyday including weekends. I guess you always want to know what else is out there and if it works better than what you have. :) The grass is not alway greener. ;) :)

16. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Registered Member

I'm confused. After reading this thread, I went to the Panda site to get some info. I'm a little confused on the product choices. There's Panda Platinum that comes with a firewall, then theres Panda TruPrevent Personal which sounds like a heuristic package addon for your av, and then theres Titanium w/TruPrevent but no firewall. What are the major differences other than interface?

17. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Creatures of the Wild,

Panda. FREE. Whereo_O? Did I miss something? :eek:

18. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

19. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

For a noob around here you sure are a cocky one. You ought to reread my post because I am using Panda on 3 computers here in the house. It is not as light on resources as NOD32 is on my computers, and it tends to slow a few applications down whereas NOD does not.

20. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Do a search for Panda in these forums and you will find a thread with a link to Panda free that was working still about a month ago.

21. Benvan45

Don't really think being a noob around here has anything to do with this!!!!
    Maybe there are noobs around knowing more than a lot of the 'experts'.

Also, you don't go into my remark about the eicar.com2.zip.

I really don't understand why Panda is slowing down certain applications compared to Nod. At my place, it is the other way around!

Why doesn't Panda come close to Nod? Try to explain to me!

Greetings,

Putin ;)

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

NOD beta view of eicar.com2.zip.

Attached Files:

23. Arin

Arin Registered Member

guys calm down. they are just software products. just state your reasons for your remark and make your point. this way the thread will be more readable.

dear FlashGordon, take a look here http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/

dear Shaker, i replied to your private message.

24. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Registered Member

Thanks for link. :)

25. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

If the detecting rates and update frequency matters and you have quite new PC, Panda Platinum 7.07.01 may have more add value than NOD according to my own tests with over 2000 all kind of quite new nasties in WinXP Home environment. Besides Panda Platinum's free one year offer has also some add value.

When you have a quite old PC and you like to play games, NOD is the better av in that case.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.