Panda Platinum 7 vs Norton AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mannaggia, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

There is a thread here comparing Panda Platinum 7 to Avast. I am using Panda Platinum 7 and like it. But I'm curious as to how it compares to Norton Antivirus.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Honestly i think you should keep Panda if you're happy with it. I doubt you'll be with NAV...

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Norton used to be a good antivirus, and it still is. The only problem is that it totally redefines the term "bloatware". NAV is such a resource hog that it can bring even some of the newer computers to their knees.

4. Arin

Arin Registered Member

i agree with RejZor and Pigman, NAV is good only when you're using a blazing fast machine and as far as the surfing habit goes you should be a goodboy/girl. i wonder where is the spyware detector as its as worthless as Winamp detecting spywares.

5. f123

f123 Guest

NAV also contains that blasted product activation...a real pain if you want to reload the system. Plus, it is very difficult to completely remove NAV from the computer. I would suggest NAV 2002 if you MUST have a Norton product. Panda is a better choice.

The snipped at Norton created a "sweetheart" deal with the big PC mfrs (DELL, HP, etc) to include a trial version of Norton with each new PC. Norton's customer support is non-existent unless you have $30 to pay for each incident.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2004
  6. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

I was thinking of giving NAV's trial version a try. Why, I don't know. :doubt: I am very happy with Panda Platinum 7. Just thought I would like to see how NAV is. After reading your responses though, I think I will stay with what I've got. No need to screw things up. :)

Thanks everyone.

7. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

Norton Antivirus 2005 is better then Panda Platinium 7.the 2005 version of Norton is in beta but it is faser scanning and much more

8. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

We know. Just look at Norton's VB results - almost as good as NOD32's. It's a high-quality AV.

The problem is that it hogs up an incredible amount of RAM. It can slow down newer machines pretty badly, and I'll bet that the newer versions would freaking *CRASH* older machines like my Pentium II box. It's bloatware, plain and simple. I'm willing to sacrifice a little extra RAM for slightly better protection (F-Prot vs. NOD32, which uses more RAM but performs a bit better on tests), but NAV's resource usage is completely out of hand.

9. Arin

Arin Registered Member

i don't know why people have uninstallation problem. in my Millenium system i did it two days ago and everything went fine. anyway its right about NAV that its bloatware. the 2001 version was quite good and things went down the hill from 2002. dear Stephan123 if you tried the latest BETA then please enlighten us with some mora data please.

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

My opinion is that nav actually is not a bad av even though it is bloatware, but the product activation absolutley turned me against norton. The Idea of trying toprotect your copyright is not a bad thing in itself but the way norton tried it just made a (big) program really buggy to get to work for some people. So I would take panda over norton most any day.

11. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

I have do a fulls systemscan yesterday under dinner.and here are the scan results

Scan results:MBRs scannned : 2
    Master boot records infected : 0
    Master boot records repaired : 0
    Boot Records scanned : 2
    Boot records infected : 0
    Boot records repaired : 0
    Files scanned : 68518
    Threats detected : 609
    Files repaired : 295
    Files quarantined : 297
    Files deleted : 17
    Files excluded : 0

Norton 2005 have found what virusses on my drive :) that other not can't find.The scan was 30minutes And you have a new module.Internet worm protection.I make now a screenshot.Just wait a moment ;)

If you want more screenshots.Tell it and i make the screenshot of the part you want from Norton 2005 beta.And you have another icon in your systray

Screenshot
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/virusscan/Nortonantivirus%202005%20screenshot1.GIF
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/virusscan/Nortonantivirus%202005%20screenshot2.GIF

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.