Paid Sandboxie user for years but am curious about BufferZone!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ratchet, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Is it easily configurable, as in selecting what programs you want to auto protect, e.g. pdf reader, saving bookmarks, allowing downloaded files out of it's sandbox, etc.? Also, what exactly is it's e-Bank and e-Shop in a trusted environment (Privacy Zone) feature? Thank you!

2. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Hi,

I've tried both. About bookmarks sandboxie is more easy, in bufferzone you need to surf out if you want to make some changes in your profile.
    About downloaded files, by default they are executed in the bufferzone, but with a right click you can extract it.
    Bufferzone have a "blacklist" of programs who will be executed in. You can manage it, but except if you're using some exotic software it would be enough. About email client, just the attachements are executed in, the software is not protected.
    e-Bank and e-shop i've never tried sorry, i will try today if i can.
    The default configuration need to be changed : by default signed programs are automatically executed out of the sandbox, you need to increase this protection.
    I hope it will help you.

Regards.

3. ratchet

Nice job and thank you!

4. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

A long time Sandboxie user, I couldn't pass up Bufferzone Pro when it was free so I tried it. I ended up not learning much because it put me on a new learning curve and I couldn't find anything it did better or easier than Sandboxie. I put Sandboxie on every computer I own, and I use it 100% for browsing and a couple of other things.

5. ratchet

Thanks!

6. EboO

EboO Registered Member

I think that you must try it. In my case i've just tested sandboxie for a month so it wasn't difficult to use bufferzone. Perhaps if you're an old sandboxie's user it will be harder.

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Are you having an issue with Sandboxie?
    Are you unconvinced of Sandboxie reliability after all this years?
    Have you been infected since you started using SBIE?
    In my opinion, if the answer to those questions is NO, forget about
    it. Why mess with something that has worked well for you. Now,
    I see the word "curious" in the title of this post and I know how I
    feel when I am curious. The only way to kill curiosity is to try it
    out. So, maybe that's what you should do in order to know which
    program works better for you.

Bo

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I concur, you should give it a trial run. Everyone is wired differently, and you may find you like more granular control over things with tools other than SBIE. I like SBIE because it is "set and forget", but it does not offer what other tools do.

It will be interesting to see what you think, providing you give it a fair shake. Those are the best comments, when someone tests without bias and then shares thier conclusions, at least IMO they are.

Sul.

9. ratchet

After further consideration, and with all due respect to my curious side, as a result of your replies, I've decided to not even try BZ (at this time), and I thank you for that. Not to say my curious side won't rear it's head again.

10. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Ratchet I would at least give it a try. Take a snapshot and install it. If you don't like it then restore your current system. I have used just about every policy/light virtualization/roll back software. I prefer sandboxie because of how you can configure it. I gave bufferzone a chance and I actually like it alot. It had some minor GUI issues for me but it worked well otherwise. If your happy with what you have then don't bother. It doesn't hurt to try something new, just ask jmonge or Trjam. Who knows you might find one of your favorite combo's.

11. ratchet

Duly noted! Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.