Paid McAfee Vs Free AVAST!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by spider_darth, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spider_darth

spider_darth Registered Member

can anyone tell me which is better? Is it true that paid AVs fare better than free ones?

I've all along been using avast! but, recently bought a dell system preinstalled with McAfee.

should i uninstall McAfee and switch to avast! instead?

somehow i prefer the experience of using avast! avast also seems to updates itself more frequently. but, i'm afraid that is only my perception. and that mcafee is actually doing a better job.

can someone advise?

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

both will protect you well, but only you know which one you prefer.

from your comments, it sounds like you prefer Avast.

what i would recommend though is, do a fresh format with your Dell machine, to get rid of the crapware and then re-install a base installation of Mcafee/Avast downloaded from their own website.

3. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=180128

Not necessarily.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download

Only you can answer that.

I would not assume. Instead check the credible AV review sites.

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

There is a deal at Nat West to get McAfee for free, and I see it at Fry's free after rebate, but you do have to pay the sales tax.

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

One of the first things I do when I get a computer is reformat and reinstall fresh. Dell does put a lot of junk (particularly that Dell Solution or whatever it is called now) on their computers. Fortunately Dell provides reinstallation CDs instead of that dreaded hidden restore partition other computer manufacturers have gone to. The day they do go that route is the day I look for another brand.

You did not mention which McAfee product it came with--VirusScan Plus, Internet Suite, or Total Protection. I am using VSP with my 4 1/2 year old Dell and it runs great. I do have the Internet Suite ordered and coming next week (got a deal at $12.95). Someone mentioned here that Total Protection was too heavy on the computer though I find it hard to believe.

But it really boils down to what you are more comfortable using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.