Paid firewall worth it?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Matt_Smi, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I still cannot decide on which firewall to choose (primarily looking at Kerio 2.1.5, Sygate free and Outpost free). I need something that is light and works effectively, I have Kerio 2.1.5 installed on my parents computer right now, it is an older system and I noticed no slowdown with it (which means I wont on my much faster machine) so that is good, but it seems hard to configure properly. I am wondering if it would be worth it to pay for something like Outpost 2.5, which I have heard many good things about and heard that it is much better than the free 1.0 version. I don’t need my firewall to do anything extra like block ads or popups, I just need it to work and not mess up my system.

2. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Definately ! And Outpost Pro is a very good one . Top of the line . Easy on the CPU and protection is outstanding . Easily configured as you can put it in Rules Wizard mode to start . Meaning it will ask you about differing apps wanting to access the net . Once you have done that for a day or two , you can put it in block most to " feel " safer . No more pop ups asking for permission . To answer your question , YES , i is better to pay as you will have more options . especially , once you get used to it , you can make certain rules for certain ports . very easy to do once you use it awhile . Hope that helps and good luck in your quest

4. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5 is definately one of the best IMO

5. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

If you dun mind forking out cash, I wud say that Outpost Pro is a good firewall without the need for much tweaking if you are not interested in doing so. However, a lot of times, there is no need to tweak, because Kerio 2.1.5 is actually a good firewall already with the ruleset given by BZ, irregardless of the fact that there are some minor vulnerabilities in it. Other free firewalls are from Jetico which ppl here are impressed with. However, as I understand it, Jetico needs a bit of tweaking, so if you are not in the experimental mode, just use Kerio and save the money.

As for me, I am trialing Tiny which will most likely be my next purchase coz' it has the things I like like the tracklog analyzer and activity monitor.

6. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

In the other thread i guess u mention u are trying Look'nStop...how did u find it so far? :)

7. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I do not think the paid firewall is really that worthwhile for you. Most of the free firewalls can do the fundamental work of a firewall quite well. If you think that Kerio 2.15 is hard to configure, it's most likely that you will not utilize the advanced features of a paid firewall (for example, the detailed rule configuration of Outpost Pro, ZoneAlarm Pro, Sygate Pro, or whatever). If you won't use these advanced features, it's meaningless to pay for it. If you use those paid firewalls out of box (without much tweaking), they are not much different from a free one.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If that's the case, then you probably don't need Outpost Pro. I'd stick with Kerio 2 and just work at becoming more familiar with the rules.

9. hollywoodpc

I must agree with Kerodo .

10. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Thanks for the opinions thus far, I have checked out that post with Blitzen’s settings. Do I simply download the file and replace the current rule set with his? Or do I need to do additional configuring? Also if I do buy something like Outpost do I need to renew my license yearly?

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You should replace your rule set with BZ's. First read the entire post and try to follow the instructions therein.

As far as Outpost Pro goes, I believe you have to renew annually, unless you buy a lifetime license. I purchased it myself and got the one you have to renew each year, but you may be able to get a lifetime license at a slightly higher price. Not sure...

12. hollywoodpc

Matt .
    Outpost is a yearly deal but the renewal is half the original paid price . They had a special at CHRISTmas where you pay the regular price and get upgrades for life . They may run it again at some point . Hope that helps

13. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

You do not have to renew the license for Outpost Pro yearly. During the first one year of your purchase, you can update/upgrade free. After that, you will need to renew the license if you want to update/upgrade. But if you do not want to update/upgrade the software anymore, you can still use it as long as you want without renew the license.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks hollywood.. I wasn't sure if you could just purchase a lifetime license at any time or not...

15. hollywoodpc

gee
    Let me be more specific for people that do not understand that firewalls do not work like AV programs . No . You need not pay EVER again . You usually get updates and MAJOR upgrades for free in the first year . If you do not renew , no morer upgrades . Certain updates will still be allowed . Now . Should you updgrade each year . I would STRONGLY suggest it . the only firewall that was actually better than the newer versions was Kerio . ZA was kind of the same way . The newer 5.5 was buggy so alot of people went back a few upgrades to get better protection . It is like insurance . You pay it but , you may not need to cash in . Unlike insurance , you will more than likely need to cash in to keep up with the latest trends . Even AV programs are changing to detect other malware other than viruses . Hope that helps .

16. hollywoodpc

And that is why I gave you the answer I did . Hope he did not confuse you . Good luck in your quest my friend

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It wasn't me that was questing, but thanks for the info anyway.. ;)

18. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Just make sure you download the final version of the ruleset towards the bottom of the page, and unzip it to your Kerio\Personal Firewall folder, then in the firewall under Adfministration\Misc. choose load, and then pick the ruleset you want. Word of caution though, don't expect too much help from BZ on his ruleset, as he expects you to read the entire post over at broadbandreports.com and also expects you to understand everything he says too. Don't worry though as there are plenty of folke over here and over there that will help you out if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.