Packet flow is not showing for applications...

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by `mishimasan`, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. `mishimasan`

`mishimasan` Registered Member

When I run PE 2.0, I can see all of the programs that are transmitting, receiving and idle at that particular moment in time - basically all of my processes that require ports.

However, I can't see any activity on the right hand side under "sent/received". This is really strange, as I know that some of the applications are using bandwidth. I even ran some quick tests; sending data through MSN - launching Ventrilo (voice communications program) and even downloading something from CNET.

Still, no packets recorded sent or received from any of the above applications. There are values on listed next to the service list blacked out, that is found below the 'recognised' list of services, but their values are all "0.00kb/s" - and the list above that is in red and blue all have null values "---".

What is the problem here - if any?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there!
    suppose you made the columns wider to see all between the (..) as well behind that?
    Did you open the socketspy on those processes/sockets and see the data?

3. `mishimasan`

Please explain to me what the program Socketspy does... I get the general jist of it however, from the title.

I did try to open the columns wider but they are pretty wide as it is.

Please note, I am using the Netgear DG834 router as stated in my signature. I don't know if this is going to affect how people respond to the problem I initially stated.

p.s. I feel unintelligent in forums with such a wealth of knowledge. And to think that I have been studying a Bachelor of Sciences Computer Networks degree for the past 3 years.... They don't really show me anything hands-on, that's why I am lacking in experience with these kinds of small and easily-resolved, common problems.

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Can you give us a screenshot of some part?
    One of these columns could read for instance
    0.00KB/s (13.82 KB Total) just to give some example so look if you have it complete there when you look.
    If you rightclick on a socket or process and "enable spying" you would see it in the SocketSpy in Utilities and as long as there is data going you should see some of those packets appear.

You know a bachelor in computer science is most definitely dependent on practical every day computer use as well :) Good that you come to the forum, we all learn from each other here rather fast and very practical each day!

BTW: The router should not effect the packets not to appear as they are in and out of the pc. You have all sockets and netstat sockets showing?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  5. `mishimasan`

Unfortunately, I have no webspace - and since there is no upload option for me the only way I could show you would be to email you. So if you PM your email address to me I can attach a SS to the reply.

Thanks.

p.s. in reply to your comment to the dominant practical part of the networker's job, I totally agree. This is why I am applying for the CCNA qualification this coming summer. I feel that the practical lab sessions could have been more frequent, as we tended to concentrate more on theory and reading.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Studying the screenshot and asking expert confirmation before posting about it.
    Did you notice all those blue UDP connections with ------
    most probably caused by the router. Is this one standalone pc or in a network, did you for instance install as an admin and run as a user, that kind of things i'm thinking of.

Seems like the router plays a role here, but as the sent/receive should show the packets on the pc there should be data.
    But i don't for instance see an email client, a webbrowser like IE, do they show up all the same?
    Not sure if the router could use some extra settings refining?

BTW: in the last line in your screenshot is a process without a name on another protocol then TCP or UDP and there you see the first start of send/receive showing; if you widen that column a moment you see if there is a dataflow on that. Is there?

7. `mishimasan`

Ok, thanks. Yes I thought that it might be the damn router. Ok, it's a Netgear DG834, and it seems to block applications even if I enable the ports for them. Now, with Port Explorer that's an entirely different story, because it's a program that looks at ALL the ports. So I don't think it's a question of simply enabling a service. I think perhaps it's more complex like enabling a certain feature on the router.

Let's play a game called "Pick the page":

Basic Settings
    ADSL Settings
    Logs
    Block Sites
    Firewall Rules
    Services
    Schedule
    Email
    Router Status
    Attached Devices
    Diagnostics
    Router Upgrade
    WAN Setup
    Dynamic DNS
    LAN IP Setup
    Remote Management
    Static Routes
    UPnP

Basic things like, "UPnP Enable" are enabled. The network is properly configured for LAN, and so sending and receiving files between my station and my girlfriend's station is working fine. There are only 2 terminals on the network and obviously, 1 default gateway. The Firmware for the router is correct and up-to-date and I have installed MS Net framework V1.1 SP1. The Win XP SP2 OS is currently up-to-date as of yesterday, 20/02/05.

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You have Port Explorer installed on both systems?
    both are XP?
    both installed as an admin
    and both running as an admin too to get this result on both?
    or running as a user and getting this result?
    did you install as an admin and use a "run as" from a user account in both cases? (could make a difference)
    And i suppose yours is the gateway to internet?
    so a) modem > router > pc1 and pc2 both equally connected to the router?
    or b) modem > router > pc1 gateway > pc2?
    Pc1 is yours and pc2 your girlfriends.
    Before we go into the next options you mention good to start at the base of everything.

BTW: you did have the most recent Port Explorer version for all this?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  9. `mishimasan`

Telephone line > ADSL Router > PC1 + PC2 connected to router (default gateway)

When I installed Port Explorer I do not remember the option for Administrator etc. Should I reinstall? The Port Explorer is not installed on my girlfriend's computer. Do I have to install the program on every terminal in the network?

Both terminals are running the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2.

There is no modem in the configuration, only a router. The internet connection comes directly from the wall to the router, to the computer terminals.

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

OK, so you have a combined modem/router of some kind i guess.
    Anyway, if you like to reinstall, the current version should be uninstalled first.
    But i would first try with some settings.
    If you installed and were in Administrator account, with all scanners disabled etc and rebooted after the install all was ok.
    Now if you go into a user account and open Port Explorer, it needs some administrator privileges which is where it should "run as" in the properties.
    If you're still in the Admin account, you are on the highest level already and all should show up ok.
    You can install it on the pc2 as well of course and see how both are connected to each other.

When i look in my firewall alerts i see no traffic from portscans etc to the router as it's blocked there, but i do see the port 137 replies for resolving the IPs, but blocked so not sent to the portscanners at all.
    But as part is findign place on the pc itself, i do see the kb's growing little bits.

The *items should be netstatsockets for instance and those don't show data, only real processes.
    If you would press the "don't show netstat sockets" you wouldn't have much left in your screen :)

I see in your screenshot for instance the MSN messenger > router > internet
    as a *msnmessenger.exe to various IP addresses on TCP protocol so normally i would suppose these to be without the * as normal processes.
    Needing DCS or other techs to explain this part and more how to solve it in relation to all the list you mentioned above.

11. `mishimasan`

Ok Jooske, thanks for the input, I'll be messaging back here if I have more questions so please - take a look in now and again - if I do get it all figured out from what you have told me, then I'll post that it's all good and we can slowly forget about this topic ;)

12. `mishimasan`

It's working now Jooske. I reinstalled it and I can see that when I access some applications, there is a logging of bits coming in/out.

Thanks for help on the whole situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.