Overkill?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by main, Aug 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. main

main Guest

I seem to have a bit to much programs installed on my PC, here's the list

Bitdefender Pro
    Outpost 2.1 Pro
    BOCLEAN
    XPSOFT - spyware
    Scanspyware - program
    Spybot seek and destroy
    Opera
    Pestpatrol

Kaspersky
    and Ewido

Most these are trial versions, the Kas is my second, bit is the first.

I'm running a p4, with 256mb and I would like to run Kaspersky as my resident but it's way to slow and my PC goes to a crawl.

I need to elimate some programs, what would you suggest?

Scanspyware seems to be based off another companies engine becuase it found alot of crap in my PC that even Spybot didn't find.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

You seem to have a number of overlapping programs which carry out the same functions. The slow speed of your computer may be due either to;

*.Too many running processes/programs in the system tray.

*. If you have been trialing a number of firewalls and AV programs, there is probably registry debris from the ‘uninstalled software’ all over your hard drive.

Suggestions include;

1. If you are using XP, upgrade your memory to at least 512mB Memory, then everything will speed up.

2. PestPatrol, in my experience, gives too many false positives and puts too many running processes in memory.

3. If any AV is slowing you down it does not matter how good its detection rate, choose one which suits YOUR system. Therefore use Bit Defender ( Standard version is sufficient), or any other good AV. Hopefully you are not running the firewall in the Pro version at the same time as Outpost. Now this will slow you down!!!

4. For spyware, S&D is a good choice. I am not familiar with Scanspyware and would therefore recommend running Lavasoft’s Ad-aware to run alongside S&D for spyware detection. http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

5. Depending upon your surfing habits, you may need an Antitrojan program. If you use P2P, visit warez sites etc, an AT running guard together with your AV would be a good idea. BOClean is ideal. If your surfing habits are fairly conservative, use the free Ewido instead as a backup scanner.

Overall- Opera, OutPost, BitDefender, an AntiTrojan program, and 2 spyware programs should be sufficient. If you are on a cable connection think about a hardware firewall, a router! And as already mentioned, think about increasing your memory to at least 512mB.

Once you have decided on your choices, use a good registry cleaner to clear out any remaining debris and run these programs for awhile to test their compatibility on your system. I would also recommend practicing safe-hex and running as few programs as possible in your system tray. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/security

4. Main

Main Guest

Yep, I am running the PRO edition of bitdefender, I will see if I can install the standard edition pronto. I'll say goodbye to PP and get some more memory.

? How do I find out my memory type and where can I get some for cheap?

Thanks

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

As ronjor has posted, Crucial is your best bet for cheap memory.

If you do install extra memory, you should notice a big increase in both bootup times and in the general speed of your computer.

Once XP is up to speed, maybe you can give KAV another shot and see if it still slows down your system. If you can use KAV, this may be a better choice than BD, for overall virus and trojan detection. But remember to have only one AV installed when trialing different AV's, in particular do not try and run more than ONE AV Monitor at any one time!

In fact with KAV and safe surfing, you should be able to get away without running an Antitrojan program. One less program to run in the background ;)

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I would follow Blackcat's advice.Particularly the memory upgrade. ;)

It's a great idea to find a good registry cleaner that is safe to use.
    Make sure that there is a backup feature with any registry cleaner that you use.
    I like Ace Utilities.
    It is a shareware program with a time limited trial.

http://www.acelogix.com

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.