overkill

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Robert Hardesty, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have the following on my system:
    Webroot; spysweeper,window washer
    Lavasoft; ad-aware
    spyblocker and spyware stopper
    spybot s/d
    V-com systemsuite 5 with netdefense firewall and email scanner plus other assorted bells and whistles.
    (unregistered)
    TDS-3
    My question is this overkill?
    Is there an area I'm missing?
    I tried system mechanic but it seemed to just overlap
    Systemsuite which does a good job.
    Just don't want conflicts.
    Haven't seen a pop-up lately so I think I have that covered.
    My main, if a small problem is, use of resources when some of these are running in background simoultainiosly, especially using
    spyware stopper.
    Should I downgrade are replace? Your the experts.
    Thanks Bob

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

To me this looks like overkill, others will call it a good start :)

This part needs fixing:
    Running unregistered software is only good while testing different solutions.

It all depends on what you use the system for, what software you use and how you are connected to the internet. I'm using lots of resident software, but that's the way linux runs :D

You can diminish most risks by moving to less vulnerable software. Staying away form IE and OE will dramatically improve security. Most worms and virusses, hijacks, ... no chance if you stay away from those security holes: ActiveX, active scripting, all part of the windows operating system. One vulnerability in one of those features is one more leak in the OS, no matter how much you patch... :eek:
    IN my opinion all these tools are needed only for compensating the holes. Better do away with the holes. ;)

3. olopbob

olopbob Registered Member

Sorry, my SS5 is registered. I just downloaded the TDS-3 which is unregistered, for a try. I use Outlook 2000 for mail but have never gotten the hang of any other browser, guess MS has me brainwashed. Thanks for advice André

4. discogail

discogail Security Expert

Javacool's SpywareBlaster
    Doesn't scan and clean for spyware, it PREVENTS it from ever being installed.
    By setting a "kill bit" for spyware ActiveX controls, SpywareBlaster can prevent the installation of any spyware ActiveX controls from a webpage.

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

.........and in addition to Discogail's :D advice re spywareBlaster, also from same Author, javacool, get SpywareGuard.
    This runs in systray and guards home page, browser hijacking, Real Time Protection via .exe's .cab file checking before exection, which is instant, no delay.

*that's if you really want to be extra cautious* LOL.... like most of us here.

Cheers, TAS

6. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

If you are going to get and use SpywareGuard, then I would suggest to not use SpySweepers Active Guard (in case of clashes) and just use SpywareGuard for the real-time protection ;).

I use both (and many other programs), and prefer to use SpySweeper as an on-demand scanner :).

Regards,
    Jade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.