Overkill???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Sandcrab, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

No worries, mate! I didn't take your statement that way. As I said earlier, I just like to be very, very, very well-protected and that's why I have the progs I do! I'm kinda anal that way! :D

In addition (and I'm not speaking for anyone else but I suspect many others fall into this group) I kinda enjoy playing the security game. It's the whitehats vs. the blackhats and it's fun knowing those outlaws can't just ride into my town, shoot up the scenery, knock over the bank, force the saloon keeper to pour free drinks, steal kisses from all the pretty girls and then just ride into the sunset! I'm gunnin' for 'em!!!! :D

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Ha! You've obviously seen too many Clint Eastwood movies :D And if there are any "Black Hats" out there listening in, ,my TDS-3 appy says "Make My Day"!

3. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

LOL!

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi all,

In order to prevent my machine i am using progs like Spyware Guard, Spywareblaster, AV, Regprot, use of hosts file and ie-spyad, SafeXP, and a few other little progs. Also my ethernet stealthing all ports.
    But as i am not the only user here, kids are also messing around some time, i have also progs like adaware, S-S&D, AT. So far these progs never find anything malicious. And I hope to keep it that way.
    Adaware and S-S&D dont bite each other at all where S-S&D has more additional features.

Have a nice weekend, :)

Gerard

5. meneer

meneer Registered Member

:D it's a habit I guess :D
    Don't just believe that I only visit safe sites, I'm in the security business. I try to practice safe hex, but that's not enough. Since I don't trust a lot of major corporation software, I just use other tools instead. No vulnerability = no risk = no threat = no tooling needed. I like simplicity :cool:

I'm so glad that my online bank moved away form ActiveX, I changed browser a time ago, but had to use IE for online banking. Silly, using a not very secure solution for secure transaction... If only my bank wouldn't mind my using a linux system, my digital life would be even more relaxed... (yes, I believe that by integrating all kinds of software into the OS, security is at risk. One bug in one tool compromises the whole OS...)

6. Sandcrab

Sandcrab Registered Member

G'day All,

This topic seems to have attracted a bit of attention I must say & I have followed the thread with great interest. Seems to me that NanDog, Dazed_and_Confused & Co are quite correct in their remarks with being well armed & prepared for anything the nasty old Web can throw at you. Meneer also makes his point very well & I have taken it all on board. Both Ad-Aware & Spybot S&D do complement each other. Having said that, I can go to sleep at night Knowing that it's ok to be paranoid. (on the Web, anyway) :D :D
    I tend to stay away from the dark areas of the Web & stick to the information gathering side of things. All your comments are much appreciated. This is a great forum & I would like to do my little bit by letting you all know that SpywareBlaster 3.0 is out & available for download from Javacool. Have a good one. ;) ;) ;)

7. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Thanks for the compliment on the forum, but I am afraid you got the second part mixed up somehow. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

8. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Ummm.....yes, Sandcrab, that's a good tip about SpywareBlaster but Javacool should get the credit and not Lavasoft! No worries though, mate. You're prolly still cleaning up after the Gracie storm and not concentrating on other things, right? ;)

9. Sandcrab

Sandcrab Registered Member

Oh dear, Oh Dear,
    I really must stay off the homebrew. My brain cells are just about stewed. Maybe I should go into that Home after all. how embarrassing!
    :oops: :oops: :oops:

10. K

K Guest

I don't think it's overkill at all...I'm glad there are others like me...I've got quite a few security apps myself. I try to spread the word about security also but not too many people listen :( Like my girlfriend...I ran ad-aware on her comp. and found over 300!!! bits of spyware. I installed ZA on her comp., as she has an always on connection. Just thought I'd share my thoughts since I was looking through the forum : )

11. Samjax

Samjax Registered Member

Being relatively "new" to the Wilders Forum, I have tried to put together my own personal protection package.

I currently have the following programs (a number of which are free...a few I have paid for).

R=Running resident
    D=On demand only

Spyware Guard R
    Spyware Blaster R
    Ad Aware D
    BOClean R
    PestPatrol R
    Ewido Security Suite D
    Extendia AVK Pro (uses KAV and RAV engines) R
    Extendia Security Suite D and R on a few items.
    Kaspersky Anti-Hacker Firewall R
    MailWasher D
    CWS Shredder D
    Hijack This D

2 weeks ago I only had Sygate personal firewall and Norton Anti-Virus. I feel that I now have a considerably "safer" system. Many thanks to all of the "pros" who post here regularly, without you guys and gals...I would have still been where I was a few weeks ago (hijacked, trojaned and infected with no clue what to do). Many thanks.

By the way...any suggestions regarding anything else I should obtain are greatly appreciated. I still have a few more dollars I can play with :)

12. meneer

meneer Registered Member

If you still use IE and OE, you might consider changing that too ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.