Overkill???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Sandcrab, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandcrab

Sandcrab Registered Member

Am I being paranoid?

I am on dial-up, & to protect myself out there, started out with Ad-Aware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster & SpywareGuard. Progressed to Webroot's Window Washer (which is excellent) & then to the free version of ZoneAlarm (excellent also). Also have HijackThis & various utilities from GRC.com.

Question: Do I really need both both Ad-Aware & Spybot (because of the discrepencies) now that I have Window Washero_O?? Also, Ad-Aware always but always picks up low-level adaware that Spybot does not. Why is thiso_O have always been told that Spybot is the best.
    PS. forgot to add that I also have Norton Anti-virus 2003.

Cheers,
    Pete.
    :) :) :doubt: :doubt:

PS. --- G'day DaCat, hope all is well? :) :) :)

2. shunned

shunned Guest

Somewhere around the forum is a much like topic where posters replied.....so the topic was well hashed..

Overkill..in general, hardly...under-protected most likely. Do you have ANY anti virus programo_O
    Spyblaster and spywareguard do as their names imply...help prevent spyware. But notice that they prevent BEFORE THE FACT, NOT AFTER THE FACT.
    That simple tactic applied to the over-all operating system would save countless users alot of agony. IMO so much focus is being placed on REMOVAL...instead of PREVENTION...that alot of people have near no prevention programs because of being obsessed with removal programs. kind of like putting the plow ahead of the mule...
    File protection.., system monitoring...script detectors...cookie management....proper setting of Zones in internet explorer....controling windows scripting...an much more.......thats REAL TIME PROTECTION........an your use of the word OVERKILL causes me to mention this.
    The real world is not about Removal its about Protection.
    Sandcrab,,,what DO you feel comfotable with....both programs or just one.....you answered that question within your post.

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Call me paranoid, but I don't think it's overkill - especially when most of these apps are free. I use most everything you mentioned and have had apps detect items the others didn't.

I just upgraded to ZA Pro, but then I'm using broadband. It's a welcomed step-up in security if your paranoid like me.

I would also recommend TDS-3 for AT protection - you can't get any better, and the price isn't too bad.

And finally, I'm using AVG-FREE as my AV scanner. It's worked well for me, but I'm getting ready to trade up to either NOD32 or KAV, both much better at detecting the bad guys, from what I've read from those in the know posting at Wilders.org. :D

4. notageek

notageek Registered Member

It' s not overkill. I know people with more security apps than you have. ;) I have 2 AV ( 1 resident and 1 back up) 1 Set AT but trialing a few other ondemands, Spybot s&d, AAW, Spyware blaster, Spyware guard, SSM, proxomitron and a firewall. Plus I have a few junk cleaners :)

5. shunned

shunned Guest

D&C

WAY TO GO!!!! My compliments....your very good insight is much greater than quite a few others hindsight

6. shunned

shunned Guest

Notageek

WAY TO GO>>>A PROXO user...now thats on top of the game.....if some of the newbees are reading this thread hopefully they will be encouraged by you and D&C

7. notageek

Thanks Shunned. I like to get the word out on internet security as much as I can. I hope people read all the posts and websites they can and learn about the importants of internet privacy and internet security. I hope someday I'll be teaching internet security to people that would a great job. :)

Had to edit shunned name. I hit the T instead of the H. Sorry.

8. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Notageek

Its PRIME TIME....an its your time...you have the knowledge....just be yourself...cause you got everything it takes and everything thats needed.......DO YOUR THING AND DO IT NOW!!!
    This is your world....
    newbees are beginning to see the light an someone needs to instruct them correctly..begin where you can..but begin teaching! Shunned knows you can....Shunned believe in your ability......

9. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Sandcrab, I think Spybot S&D and Adaware complement one another very nicely. What one misses, the other finds. I recently went to AAW plus with active Adwatch and so far I'm happy with the USD 39.95 expense. I also have NIS 2003 (I know...I know...lots of folks blast Symantec proggies but they've treated me pretty well, maybe I'm one of the few lucky ones!) I also have Cookiewall, TrojanHunter+, IESpyad and use the Panda on-line AV scanner periodically! Plus I have CWShredder and HijackThis available. Also, I've tightened up IE so much that it squeaks when I click on it! Paranoid? Maybe! But I wouldn't be that way if all those crackers, blackhats and scriptkiddies weren't out to get me and my computer!!!! :D

BTW, I see you're from Oz (I'm assuming you mean Australia and aren't referring to the Wizard of Oz) Where exactly? Was down there for 3 weeks about 6 years ago and would love to go back! You have a lovely country!

Edit: OK, looked at your profile and saw you're in Queensland. Port Douglas and Cairns were 2 of my most favorite spots (especially Port Douglas 'cuz it was so quiet and laid-back). But all our trip down the coast from Port Douglas, our northernmost destination, to Melbourne, was fantastic! A great country and a wonderful populace!

10. Shunned

Shunned Guest

A MUST HAVE!!!

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24595

NanDog

Very impressive....nice job done well!

11. Shunned

Shunned Guest

For The Record:

Shun just praising the posters very fine security.....Shun knows nothing about nothing...Shun trys to sit on chair and falls instead......

12. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hello sandcrab,

Already much said and well said.
    To add my views, You are NOT being paranoid.
    As some already pointed out and you may have seen, in many signatures here, people are using more than one security software, me being one of them too.
    Today, when viruses and trojans are NOT the only threats and when threats are increasing every second, specially this new kinda evil have crept up in the scenario called spyware which are considered as major threat as virus/trojans.
    To answer your question, you need both Ad-aware and spybot and if NOT spywareblaster and spywareguard too.
    These all compliment each other and NOT any overkill. You may find some answers why you need both of them, and also nice comparison between ad-aware and spybot
    http://www.compukiss.com/populartopics/research_infohtm/review321.htm

Its your computer and why should NOT you take all steps possible to keep it safe?

13. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Amen! Or in other words: "Listen and learn, young Jedi!"

Sandcrab, lots of great information on this forum that will allow you to make your computing much safer and more fun! Heed the words of wisdom to be found here!

Shunned, thanks for your kind words. And thanks for the info 'bout Script Defender. I need to check into that in order to have one more arrow in my quiver! But why don't you register and become a full-fledged member of the Wilder's family? I've seen you posting quite a bit lately. Come on in and join all the fun! We won't bite! I promise! (Well, maybe some of us will nibble on your ear!) :D :D :D

14. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Something , that pricked me too.. and does still... though, its always one' s wish . But yes, I look forward to see you joining here.. and by no way WE are saying that you ARE to be REGISTERED to have your views taken :D , but maybe you are missing the cookies ... lol

15. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Withouddadoubt.....what makes this forum so special is the cookie snacks! Yummmmm.....

Buy ya gotta be a registered member to enjoy these highly-valued, eminently tasty but low calorie tidbits! Oh man.......they're better than Krispy Kremes!!

Shunned, you just have to try one! It's easy. Just sign up and say "Hi! I'm Shunned and I'm a Wilder's-aholic!" It's all downhill from there! :)

16. Dazed_and_Confused

I never did like sweets. :D I simply enjoy knowing that I've helped someone lock down and secure their pride and joy from the viruses and trojans built by degerates with too much time on their hands.

17. notageek

I forgot to add one thing to my list and thought it would help out. I see shunned posted a link to a subject about SD. I thouhgt I would put in there I use Script Sentry. It does what it says it does. :)

18. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Sub and Nan,,,

Am very complimented by your invitation to become a member of this very nice forum. An would consider it an honor.
    It was sheer accident that I arrived here. Found myself with some extra time on my hands. Every now and then I drop in here. Mostly just to read the posts. This time I just stayed awhile.
    As stated to Notageek....this is your world guys.....you are the people that people can depend on. Its you guys who will be the security experts of tomorrow. Each of you are intelligent...an take pride in what you are doing. Its you this forum needs an not some drop-in like me.
    The internet holds no interest for me. So, while I take your invitation to heart please understand that my visits here are numbered as are my days using the internet. So not much point in becoming a member..in my case.
    To others, however, membership in this fine forum is encouraged.

19. Dazed_and_Confused

Notageek,

When you say that ScriptSentry does what it says it does, are you implying S&D doesn't? Just curious - I use S&D and have not had a problem with it. But until now I've not heard of ScriptSentry. What category does it fall into (AV, AT, AD, ..)?

D&C

20. notageek

Mods I'm not trying to hijack this thread, just going to make one more point. Please bare with me.

Shunned. This forum isn't just for experts or people that know it all about security. It's also for people that want to learn by asking questions. It would be great pleasure to have you here as a member. Shunned if you would like to finish this We should open a new thread in the ten forward. :)

Now back to the topic.

21. notageek

D&C. ScriptSentry doesn't fall in the catagory as spybot s&d. ScriptSentry basically pops up telling you a script is trying to run do you want to allow it? Spybot is a spyware scanner and cleaner. Here's the link to scriptsentry. http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/programs.asp?Program=Script%20Sentry

22. meneer

meneer Registered Member

And some more on topic:
    dare I say that I do think using all this tooling is overkill? (glad there's no smite button anymore ;))
    As far as I can see, most of these tools are needed because of:
    • fear of vulnerabilities in software
    • not trusting the software makers
    • not trusting yourown safe hex practices
    All these matters can be overcome, not by using lots of tools. My processor power is needed for my work.
    I only use a one or two tools, not even on a regular basis (I like adaware). I use less vulnerable tools (okay, as far as I can see), especially software that's not integrated in my OS, I try to get fixes pretty quick and I am not very curious opening my mail.
    So far so good.

By all means, use the tools that you feel that you need, but also, by all means, check for yourself why you would need them. You certainly don't need tools just to use them.

23. Dazed_and_Confused

Meneer - Good point. If your travels are limited to your local financial institution's web site, why would you ever need an AV or AT? In my case, it's exactly that! Because I simply can't afford the risk. If I'm constantly navigating to secure sites and making financial transactions, the last thing I need is a sneaky keylogger tracking my steps and passwords. Better safe than sorry is my motto. Big thanks to TDS-3 - next best thing to a small army. :cool:

D&C

24. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Much of what Meneer said is true. IMO, the best security tool is what's between your ears! But, that being said, I also like to have additional layers of protection for those isolated instance when I either get lazy or get stupid or get tricked. And calling these security proggies "tools" is pretty apt. I'm a car nut and am currently in the final stages of restoring a 1969 Camaro Z28 so I use real mechanic-type tools a lot! Just 'cuz I rarely need that 3/4-inch deepwell socket attached to a wobbly joint on the end of an extension doesn't mean owning such gear is overkill. When I need it, I'm damned glad I have it. For me it's much the same for Adaware, S&D, TrojanHunter and the like. My computing practices make them little used tools (not that I never use 'em but just that they rarely find anything) but occasionally I'm damned glad I have 'em, even if just to assure me that my box remains clean! When I put my computer to bed each night, I too can put myself to bed with an easy mind knowing that I won't be up early in the morning trying to clean and correct a sabotaged box. But, each to their own! ;)

25. Dazed_and_Confused

NanDog / Meneer,

Please don't take my last remark as a rebuke. Meneer is exactly right, as usual. If you limit your visit to sites of major corporations, you'll probably never see an virus or trojan or the like. However, sometimes I think those critters have the use Star Trek's transporter (beam me up Scotty! :D ) - at times they just seem to appear out of nowhere! And as you stated, it's best to be prepared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.