Overkill??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Can anyone tell me what types of threats (in laymans terms), if any, that I am not protected against. Here is my current portfolio of security apps:

- Zone Alarm Free Edition (Firewall)
    - Abtrusion Protector (Sandbox?)
    - Ad-Aware (Anti-Adware)
    - Spybot S&D (Anti-Spyware and maybe Anti-Trojan?)
    - SpywareBlaster (Anti-Spyware, and maybe Anti-Trojan?)
    - Active Ports (Port Monitoring)
    - AVG Anti-Virus

Isn't this enough?? What am I not protected against (assuming I have the above apps configured properly)? Or do you recommend replacements for any of the above?

Thanks again from a security novice.

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hi Dazed,

Spywareblaster is a program that sets kill bits to the spywares that is in its database(and thats a big one)
    Spybot is a scanner which eradicates most of the spywares(and some trojans)
    BUT... those are not dedicated Anti-trojans which is something missing in your kitty.
    Go for either TDS-3, Trojan Hunter or BOClean whichever you prefer, three being top-notch products on their own.
    You do have AVG, but I would also advice you to have an on-demand anti-virus, that will just make you more sure of your safety ( Avast, F-secure, F-prot, Nod32... whichever you like)
    Lastly, spywareguard just to give the finishing touch

good day !!

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Subratam,

Thanks...and nice eyes!

I just installed TrojanHunter. Fortunately, it found nothing. I really wanted to try TD3-S. I heard it's better, but I understand it's not very user-friendly for PC neophytes like me. Should I stick with Mr TrojanHunter, or go for TD3-S. Price is about the same.

What I fail to understand why I need Spyware Guard, another stay-resident program. My dated PC is over taxed as it is. If I'm sure I currently don't have any on my PC now, how would any take hold? Wouldn't Abtrusion Protector (sandbox technology - if my terminology is accurate) catch any Malware that attempts to silently install itself? But if you think I need it, "what the hey"!

Thanks again!

4. subratam

Hi again Dazed,

Its totally your wish which to opt for, TDS or Trojan Hunter. Both are great... and one of its kind.
    You want to have a look here
    --> http://www.wilders.org/anti_trojans.htm which gives a nice review to various anti-trojans(ofcourse TDS, Trojan Hunter, Boclean referred by me, but you se what suits you most, its who is going to use at the end of day)
    Spywareguard uses very low resource, silently remains as you already know it seems. Again its your wish , and its optional for you ( anti-trojan is a must though).

Here is my suggested protocol

1. 2 AVs ( One resident monitor -> You have AVG, another on demand-> already named some)

2. 1 AT (named the three gurus)

3. spyware removers (Ad-aware, Spybot, Spywareblaster, (optional-spywareguard, its ok you have abtrusion))

4. Firewall (You have the best)

thats about it and enough to make you secure.

Oh forgot to say... Surf safe<- prime security tool

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Subratam,

Thanks again. You have really helped. It sounds like I'm looking OK now that I've installed TrojanHunter, with the exception of my AV software. Other sites I've visited have always had positive things to say about AVG. And I was unaware you could have two. I used to have McAfee, which I hated. My system was always crashing - took up too many resources, I guess. AVG is easy to use, and I NEVER have any software conflicts.

I have heard good things about NOD32. Before I install another AV, I want to make sure it's not a system hog. And if I do go with NOD32, do I really need two? Don't understand why.

Learning more every day, thanks to everyone at Wilder Security!

6. JayK

JayK Poster

I would go with TDS myself.

Personally I don't think spywareguard it's really that necessary, if you don't install too many programs often.

The problem with sandbox programs like Abtursion is that the burden of indentifying malware falls squarely on the user. In the right hands it's one of the very powerful tools in your aresenal.

On the other hand, it's probably very taxing on the system.

I would not take the advice of everyone or anyone here as gospel. When it comes down to it utlimately security is a matter of comfort and it's all up to you.

I certainly don't think everyone has to have a dedicated AT for example if you have good internet habits, or you are very knowledgable.

An example is my Dad's computer which certainly isn't state of the art, so I configured it with one of the lightest personal firewall i could find (Kerio) and I don't even configure it with AV resident (though there are 2 used on demand), no AV, spywareblaster , IE spyad.

That's all. By the standards of Wilder's way everyone runs a million "dedicated" (one for spyware, one for virus, one for trojan, one for keylogger etc) software you might think this is just asking for it.

But every month or so, I scan it , no problems at all.

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi All,

Just to add my little contribution, I've been using a little thing called a2 from www.emsisoft.com to chase the dreaded Trojies about. It has never found any malware etc.,on my OS as yet so I don't know if it's doing the job or or not LOL :D but it's a freebie and is soooo simple to use which suits me.

Might just be worth giving it a go.

Just as a for instance, I have never seen or heard it mentioned on Wilders yet, so, have any of you darlings out there tried it yet?

Regards, Cochise, :cool:

8. JayK

JayK Poster

Huh? Take a look at theother anti-trojan forums, there is more mention on a2 on these forums than anywhere else on the net (with the obvious exception of their own site/forum)

9. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

OOOPS! You can see how often I go to the trojan Forum JayK.....trouble is, it takes me all my time to cope with Ten-Forward Loool :D

I must get out more often.

best Regards, Cochise, :cool:

10. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi Cochise! :)

I do use it too. I find it easy to use and so on. What I like is that you can even get the updates with the free version which is real good. In my case it didn't find anything yet but I use to browse very safely. Many knowledgeable people say it's good but they say that *TDS Anti Trojan's one* do MORE than a2- In fact, it is supposed to be the "A1 trojan detection program" I can't pronounce myself for I haven't tried any other one save the Cleaner. The Cleaner is simple too, works pretty good, it's easy but it detects "false positive" a little too often to me. (The alarms make you jump!) Maybe the latest version has been improved. I will try theTDS Anti-trojan's one day and see the difference!

11. subratam

AVG is one of best and I myself am using it and I am yet to be infected.
    You can keep second AV only on condition, I repeat on condition, you dont have more than one active. Just for your own confirmation that nothing misses out checking you can keep it On-access scanner.Nod32 is a great AV and its totally your wish if you want two. Its optional for you and again, Its you first who have to be really practicing safe clicking and accessing net.

Its you who will be using these all in YOUR machine , and you know your machine better. You can ofcourse remove optional ones now, and let the primary requirements be got first.If you think you are stable and all is Ok, then not needed anything any more but only YOUR commonsense that should be present always.

12. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi All again,

Hey! JayK, I just went up and had a look round the Terrorojan Forum.....Wow! I looked at the "How good is a2" posted last January time, I didn't know that Trojans could be that exciting.....talk about 'snapping and snarling'.....I can see now why I stay in the quiet and the comfort and warmth of TForward away from the cut and thrust of the real serious stuff.

Either way, I like a2 just for the logo wanging round and round, it's kinda peaceful and reassurring. :D :D ;)

Regards, Cochise, :cool:

PS. I just knew you would understand Uguel.

13. JayK

JayK Poster

It's nasty yes, but sometimes you learn the most from those posts. Or when experts clash and they start bashing each others products :)

Of course, you couldbe like some here who spend 80% of their posts on social chitchat and limit answering newbies who ask "is this amount of security software?"
    enough?" or "do i really need x?" or "please downlaod HJT and post the logs here"

but what's the point? You don't learn anything, though it's a very fast way of accumulating karma cookies

14. Dazed_and_Confused

All,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to stick with AVG for now since I've had no problems in the past 12 mos.

Regaring AT software, I continue to hear people tout TDS as the best around. However, the WilderSecurity AT summary also implies that it's not for Newbies. And the screen shots look intimidating. Is the help documentation any good, or should a Newbie stick with TrojanHunter for now?

15. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

From what i understand, TDS can be run" straight out of the box", but better to ask your TDS questions over here, ;)

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?board=5

snowbound

16. subratam

If you have already installed Trojan Hunter and feeling Ok, then I would say stick with it. See how it works and after that you can try TDS also. Compare you yourself which one was better in understanding and effective for you and then take the decision which one will you be owning up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.