Overheating problem - Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ohblu, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

I was hoping someone here could tell me what the temperatures should be for the Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe processor and NVIDIA GeForce 6200 GPU. I've tried looking it up myself but I can't find any official numbers. Or rather, anything I do find from Nvidia and Intel is confusing to me.

I was using my grandmother's computer and noticed that the CPU fan (according to Speedfan) becomes louder and faster when under load. It goes from about 1200 rpm when idle up to 2400-2700 rpm under load. This is the first time it's done that ever and she's had this computer for about four years. Four different temperature monitoring programs are showing significantly increased temperatures, particularly when compared to six months ago and one year ago. I suspect there is a cooling problem and that one of the fans may not be working. I have no idea how many are in there. Speedfan has only ever shown two (system and CPU). The overall noise from the computer became quieter about six months ago following a noisy fan. I'm thinking one of the fans died and the CPU fan is spinning faster to make up for it. The speed of the system fan has only increased by about 100 rpm.

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Look up for guide on Google to change your Core 2 Duo (processor) thermal paste, you will need to buy some BTW.
    Processor temps shouldn't exceed around 60-65 celcius
    The average could be around the 40's

And as for your Graphics card, you should check if the fan is clogged with dust, if so you can get a can of air and blow it all :D

That's all :thumb:

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

An e6320 lists the Tcase temp as about 60deg cels. Most c2ds I have seen run between 35-45c on average. Most will tell you when you break 60 you want it cooler, when you approach 70 things are pretty darn hot. I read that at 80-85 the cpu will shut down.

The nv 6200 is supposedly rated at min 50c and max 95c. Most video cards can go a lot higher than they run at. For example my 8800gtx did not even turn on its fan past idle speeds until temps got to 90c. I ran it at roughly 75 most of the time before I flashed the rom and used my own algorithm to cool it.

As Noob says, get a can of compressed air and blow everything out. That includes all fans and heatsinks, as well as the PSU and around hdds and optical drives. Dust insulates so the metal cannot cool, so everything should be as dust free as possible.

If a case fan quits it can effect the temps. Obviously a cpu fan will do the same. You should be able to go to intel and find out what the stock fan for that cpu spins at max, and have an idea of if it is going full or not.

The cpu is not responsible for giving proper temps, the onboard monitoring chip isthat is built into the mobo. You might inspect which chip it is and see if there are any offsets for temp readings that might apply, but I doubt it.

Reapplying thermal paste is not a bad idea, but most usually not the problem. Not saying it isn't the problem, just not usually. I find that normally it is dust that does this sort of thing.

Make sure the system is turned off before you start using the canned air.

HTH.

Sul.

4. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

Here's what Speedfan reported when the computer had been idle 15-20 minutes.
    GPU - 61C
    System - 51C
    CPU - 48C
    HD1 - 54C
    HD0 - 46C
    Core 0 - 58C
    Core 1 - 58C
    Core - 61C

Sys Fan - 1480 RPM
    CPU0 Fan - 1156 RPM
    CPU1 Fan - 0 RPM

Under light usage (browsing with Firefox) the Core and GPU temps were about 65C, CPU was about 50C, and System was about 53C.

The other programs are showing similar temperatures.

Right now I'm a little afraid to do anything to that computer. My grandmother desperately needs it for some financial and housing problem she's having. She can't afford (literally and figuratively) anything happening to that computer until the end of the month. She doesn't have time for a professional to look at it since she's under a deadline.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

ohblu, did take note Noob and Sully that the heat sinks may be clogged with dust and probably need a blow out with compressed air.

Has it ever had the side off and checked for dust build up?

Mine needs cleaning out a couple of times a year.

6. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Your temps look OK, 48c for the CPU.

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I disagree with the advice to change the thermal paste. TIM (thermal interface materials) don't just go bad, get old, or wear out, or need replacing unless the cured bond is broken. And that does not happen unless the computer is dropped, or the heatsink fan assembly is removed. Then the existing TIM should be cleaned thoroughly and a fresh application of TIM should be applied.

I agree with the others that the first thing to do is to clean the system out of heat trapping dust and dirt. Fans cool, but they also suck in dust. I recommend removing the side panel monthly and inspect for dust buildup, and to ensure fans are still spinning. Cleaning frequently is even more important if there are pets, especially cats, in the household.

You did not mention where your grandmother lives, but 6 months ago was February. Now it's August and it was 97°F here yesterday. In addition to the added dust during that timeframe, ambient (room) temperatures play a major role in computer temps too.

Note to blast your computer with cans of compressed dusting gas (see note below), you should take the computer outside. This means all the cables need to be disconnected. If you grandmother is leery of doing this until the end of the month, you might just remove the side panel and gently blow a desk fan in there for extra air. I normally recommend "blasting" a desk fan, but that will stir up the dust.

I use an air compressor, which is better than cans, but it must be the oilless type, properly maintained, and properly setup with a moisture and particulate filter. With either type of compressed air, use a popsicle stick or the like to hold the fans stationary. You can easily cause them to spin faster than designed, and destroy the bearing.

A vacuum cleaner can also be used with EXTREME caution. The dust and air molecules zipping past nozzle can cause the build up of damaging static electricity. I wrap my hand around the nozzle and extend a finger past the edge which I use to touch bare metal at all times to avoid any ESD (electro-static discharge) damage.

In all cases, be sure to unplug the computer from the wall, and touch bare metal of the case to discharge static before reaching in.

NOTE: Those cans of compressed dusting gas do NOT contain air! It is poisonous gas that can be fatal if inhaled to excess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.