Outragious behavior of moderators :(

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by johny23, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

LOL I agree tECHNODROME Human beings were attacking or being attacked long before anyone thought about computers. All we can do is try to build a layered defense.

2. Headcrash

Headcrash Guest

Pardon me,

but I understand that the two topics (trojan hunter & tds papers) were closed because they are under examination by wizard!?

what´s the result of the examination? are the papers wrong or right?

re th: paper is old. imho, it was basically right but th has a heuristic now!

re tds: there is a discussion at the source of the tds paper (techboard forum) were the author of the paper is "attacked" by someone else. it seems to me that an important question is whether tds (stilll?) uses case sensitive signature or not.

any comments?

Headrash (my hd did really crash...and it sucks! i can#t access mz password, can#t login and need to use this terrible backup puter ,-(

3. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Who wants to know and why?
    Besides that, TDS has more ways to detect malware.
    Dolf

4. Headcrash

Headcrash Guest

I want to know. because case sensitive signatures are insecure if case sensivity is not required.

if tds still uses case sensitive signatures this should be changed in the forthcoming version (no matter whether tds supports other ways to detect malware).

Headcrash

5. wizard

wizard Registered Member

We had complaints about the documents therefore both were removed for review by the whole mod team.

In both cases (TDS&TH) the mentioned examples did not work with the current releases.

I think the problem was noticed by DiamondCS people and mainly removed (at least on the last few trojans I briefly checked myself). But maybe a DiamondCS spokeman (Wayne or Gavin) could answer this more precise. ;)

wizard

6. Headcrash

Headcrash Guest

Very good reply.

Thanks, Wizard.

7. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

I doubt if any developer is going to share any security issues on their product, besides that, changing all code to mixed or any other case is a lot more work than writing a new piece of malware.
    Dolf

8. Headcrash

Headcrash Guest

@Dolf

Don' t think so. You could either automatically change the sig database and include mixed case sigs. However, this would increase the size of the sig database.

Alternatively, you could improve the scan engine and make it interpreting the sigs in a non-case sensitive manner.

Anyware, the only important thing is that DiamondCS is aware of the problem (if there is any problem at all) and commits itself to find a solution.

Headcrash

9. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Some of TDS-3's sigs feature ASCII characters that are checked in binary mode. These are old signatures that are included to be thorough when doing certain scans. The facts are though that TDS-3 doesn't just use these sigs, only a small percentage (less than half a percent) of the database have these types of signatures. Even though code signatures are used also, its still good to have those old sigs there, even if someone can hex edit it and that sig is no longer valid. Its almost like saying is it better to have 5 different signatures for a trojan or just one. Even if one of those 5 is easier to hex edit to not be detected (ie change the case of a letter), I would still rather it in there to pick up trojans which havn't changed it.

Would you be happy if another product which had only one code sig for a trojan, missed a trojan that TDS-3 might detect simply because they hex edited the code so the code sig wouldn't be detected anymore, but didn't bother changing the other 4 sigs that TDS detects?

When people change malware to not get detected by antivirus/antitrojan programs they install the most popular subset of these programs and then do whatever they need until the file isn't detected by any of them. So in the end does it really matter what byte(s) they change to get it past these programs? You can only hope that you can make the person who is hex editing the malware stop trying to get it past your program and be happy that it isn't detected by most others.

TDS-4 is an evolutionary step over TDS-3, as it should be. We have incorporated all user feedback into it, and used all the latest documented and undocumented techniques to make it the best. So rest assured we know of TDS-3's shortcomings and they will be fixed and improved.

-Jason-

10. dornkart

dornkart Guest

I am unhappy that elsa's funny post has been deleted from the AT thread. Yes, it did make DCS looking extremely stupid.

However, Wayne's new post re TDS-4 ("Process termination protection - at least one other anti-trojan company said 'it can't be done' (that's the anti-trojan company that you rely on for anti-trojan protection)") makes Kevin McAleavey looking extremely stupid.

Both postings are not entirely wrong or right. Both postings are not very polite.

Thus, why are the admins protecting DCS from criticism but allow them to critcise?

I believe that DCS will actually lose sympathies if they cannot be criticised in an explicit way. DCS does code good programs. And from time to time the DCS guys do talk non-sense and agressively advertise their products. It is important that DCS gets positive AND negative feedback. Otherwise, people may come to the conclusion that the main purpose of this forum is designed to lure people in a trap (= purchasing products from DCS, Eset etc.).

11. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

guest/"dornkart",
    To put things in perspective, the only criticisms we're receiving are from one person (Andreas Haak, who also develops anti-trojan software so I'm sure you can figure out why he's attacking our anti-trojan software), and about two other people here who're only posting anonymously as guests (who're probably all the same person) - people that this forum has never seen before, so it's _just a bit suspicious_ they come here now all of a sudden with such passionate views. (1 + 1 = ...)

We encourage constructive criticism about our software - it's such criticism which has helped take our software to the top, and if you think there's any way at all that we can improve any of our programs then please email us! But there's a big difference between helpful/constructive criticism, and attacks from _competitors_ - I just hope users can see that.

12. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Well, you'll have to live with it. The way I see it, the post had one intention only: causing havoc. And we will not allow that, period.

You are putting things out of context here. There's a frequent and good contact between PSC and DCS. IMO your conclusion is coming close to trying to cause some more havoc over here, putting up two respected software developpers against one another - with no avail for your information.

We are not. We do make sure posts with the intention to cause unnecessary havoc will not be tollerated.

To keep the record straight: interfering has been done by us - DCS played no role in this in any way.

Im sure quite a lot people do agree.

That's your personal opinion. Everyone my take this remark as the please.

As long is the feedback is not intended to bash or ridicule software and/or software vendors: true. And this does happen - just have a look around over here.

If that was the case, we wouldn't have an ""other antitrojans" and "other antiviruses" forum. Have a look at the threads over there. You'll notice people are free to discuss all sortalike software. And this happens all the time.

Furthermore, we are a non profit board, hosting support forums for various sorts of software - commercial and freeware alike. I'm pretty sure visitors can draw there own conclusion here.

Finally: I invite you to register, instead of starting threads and posting comments on different user names, like cguest for example. It surely would attribute to your credibility.

regards.

paul

13. dornkart

dornkart Guest

Paul:

"Well, you'll have to live with it. The way I see it, the post had one intention only: causing havoc. And we will not allow that, period."

Yes, I have. You are the admin. But I see it in a different way: Mischel Internet Security has developed a successful marketing strategy ("only scanner which removes Beast"). DCS countered ("disinfection works fine but infringes security guidelines"). Elsa has proven that the arguments of DCS were not entirely consistent. Now her posting has been removed and DCS looks like the clear winner.

"There's a frequent and good contact between PSC and DCS. IMO your conclusion is coming close to trying to cause some more havoc over here, putting up two respected software developpers against one another - with no avail for your information."

This is certainly not my intent. How about editing my post? (I can't do it myself.) And perhaps Wayne finds a more polite wording, too?

"To keep the record straight: interfering has been done by us - DCS played no role in this in any way."

Absolutely true. And please note that I have absolutely nothing against Gavin, Jason and Wayne.

"And from time to time the DCS guys do talk non-sense and agressively advertise their products. --> That's your personal opinion. Everyone my take this remark as the please."

Yes. I believe that from time to time everybody talks nonsense (including me - hopefully not this time). The only way to figure out who is right or wrong is to allow an open discussion.

"Furthermore, we are a non profit board, hosting support forums for various sorts of software - commercial and freeware alike. I'm pretty sure visitors can draw there own conclusion here."

I certainly do not question your integrity, Paul. But you know and I know that some people believe that this forum is oriented too much towards the software producers. That's what I am concerned about. Perhaps you may want to reconsider my arguments and try to see them through the eyes of a third party.

"Finally: I invite you to register, instead of starting threads and posting comments on different user names, like cguest for example. It surely would attribute to your credibility."

Please don't do this, Paul. It is one of the outstanding features of this forum that you are allowed to post as a guest. If you start tracking IPs and endanger the anonymity of your users you will destroy something very important of this community. Note that there are sometimes legit and important reasons for posting anonymously. Moreover, please let me know if you do not want me to post in this forum. In such case you will never see me again.

In addition, I am sure that cguest would be happy if you let us know your opinion regarding disclosure policies.

14. Paul Wilders

I'm the last one to say you aren't entitled to your own opinion - you are, and did express/still express your views. That's OK with me.

That said: we (that's you and me) look upon this from quite a different perspective: this is not about winners and losers[/i] - or marketing for that matter. Software developpers have participated in the (now closed) thread, and made their statement/point. Magnus Mischel would have participated as well if he felt the need to do so on behalf of TrojanHunter. All had the opportunity to speak freely - and those who participated surely did. Now, that is the point: free communication for those who are involved. And in this context, the thread in question surely lived up to expectations.

I for one do wish all antitrojan software developpers all the best and good business.

It's good to know causing havoc is not your intention. That said: in the context from my first comment (see right above) there's no need to edit anything.

Thanks for the confidence. In case "some people" tend to believe this board is oriented too much towards the software producers: that's partly true. The DCS forums are support forums for DCS products - and that's exactly why they exist. Same goes for the Eset/NOD32 forums, LnS forums, Javacool Software forums for example. Dedicated Moderators from those forums are free and entitled to praise their software over on those forums as they please. On the other hand (and I've stated this many times): we do have other forums, where all software can be discussed - and very frequently is discussed, without interference or biases in regard to software having dedicated support forums over here. This would not be the case if your "fear" valid - it isn't.

Since I am a third party - responsible in the end for the board as a whole, I have no difficulty in looking upon this board from that angle. I would agree with your concern in case we didn't have "other..." forums. But then again: we have. This forum is a perfect example.

It's a good thing to make this distinction indeed. In the overall picture, it actually doesn't matter wether or not one likes or dislikes specific software developpers - it's the whole picture that counts. And this includes PSC, Mischel, DCS etc.
    Let's get the record straight here. For good reasons we have decided guests are allowed to post over on this board; no obligation to register first. We are aware this comes with risks: one of them one and the same person posting under various guest names. It's a calculated risk - but we disapprove doing so. Posting anonymously is OK in this context. one and the same person posting as a guest using different "guest names" is quite a different story. I presumably don't have to spell it out, but nevertheless: doing so is putting members/vistors and lurkers on the wrong foot: they are convinced different people are posting - and the opposite is true. We do have an obligation for the sake of those mentioned to point this out. In this context, you should feel an obligation to use one unregistered "guest name" whenever you post - not for our sake, but for the sake of all those who are coming over here. I'll take it, you don't want to cause confusion.

Thus: this is not about posting as a guest/anonymously. It's about the way to do so.

I've made my point. Either register or post using one and the same guest name. That said: cguest seems to re-open one and the same thread in a new thread...

regards.

paul

15. dornkart

dornkart Guest

Paul,

I think we have exchanged most of our arguments regarding the closed thread. Therefore, let's leave it at that.

However, I do want to comment on the following sentence:

"Posting anonymously is OK in this context. one and the same person posting as a guest using different "guest names" is quite a different story."

I believe that such rule should be expressly mentioned in the TOS which does not mean that I would have a problem with it. I could imagine, however, that it sometimes makes sense to use different or featureless names because this may help to focus on the content of a posting (by taking out all personal elements). It agree that you can also cause havoc by using several different names. But let's face the truth. There is no absolute control: people can use proxies, register several different nick names, spam the board, post crack links, etc.

Moreover, you should always remember that the use of the same IP address does not always mean that the same person is posting. Please perform a /whois on my static IP and you will understand. But please do not post this IP. In summary, there is no reliable way to determine whether two guest names belong to the same person. If you deem it necessary to provide for additional "security" you may do the same thing like dslreports and automatically reveal the IP of each guest name (which would be a good way to get rid of me and others).

Finally, I want to point out that I am familiar with but not identical to cguest.
    ___
    And on behalf of cguest I would like to point out that the persons concerned do know (or should know) whom they are talking to because it has been intentionally referred to private email correspondence ("rotating signatures"). Alas, no need to panic. Btw.: Your opinion on reliable disclosure policies is still appreciated. Not because this will cause havoc but because you are a reviewer with a good reputation (i.e., your opinion would be of importance).

16. Paul Wilders

I agree; wev've exchanged all there is to say indeed.

We could do so indeed. For the time being, we stick to the actual policy: we don't recommend doing so. A matter of trust.

Indeed there is no absolute control. All we can do is making choices in how to run this board, and take care of those posts we don't accept over here. That includes spam, post cracks etc. This is been done if necessary.

We are aware of that ;)

No intention in any way to implement this.

Thanks for informing us.

Thanks for the compliment.

regards.

paul

17. New Raider

New Raider Registered Member

In that case, I would just IM the Admin with the news, and post with a possible breach in security.
    This way, mods won't have to go through the trouble of locking or temporarily deleting the post, and the poster feels better that it was not locked or deleted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.