Outpost vs OnlineArmor: which one?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by faenil, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. faenil

faenil Registered Member

Which one would u choose? I tried both, found outpost a bit annoying with all those popups flashing up at every moment...

what do u think?
    Which one has better protection? Both passed the matousec.com test with 100% mark...but I know OA doesn't stop Dll Loading while Outpost does, is that true? http://wiki.castlecops.com/HIPS/IDP_programs/services

Help me choosing the new Firewall-HIPS ^^

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

All firewalls go through an intial leaning time where you get alot of pop ups. I am currently using Comodo 3.0. Outpost cost money.

3. faenil

faenil Registered Member

I have money to spend on outpost if it's worth its price

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

OA, because it's quieter.
    But if you don't know what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend a classic HIPS nor a rule-based firewall. In this case, stick to the Windows firewall and add a quiet non-signature security software such as a behav. blocker or a sandbox.

5. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

If they both received 100% protection it's really hard to say which one is more secure. I know outpost had 100% before online armor but thats a moot point now since they are both there now. I would say at this point it's up to you to try them and see which one fits your needs. You say outpost pops up alot have you tried online armor to see if it does the same for you?

Thanks,

Chris

6. century

century Registered Member

Excuse me if I sound foolish, I am a novice willing to learn here.
    Do I have to set up rules for Online Armor free or Comodo 3 firewalls?
    Will they popup questions every now & then? I am using ZA 6.5 free firewall - what is your opinion about it?
    I understand that some firewalls are not compatible with some AV suites - where do I learn about it?

7. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

You do not sound foolish.

The only fool is the person who doesn't ask questions, due to pride and ego and fear of looking foolish :)

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I really like OA, and it has a free version but I have gone back to OutpostPro for now on that set up because I cannot run with the hips active without some problems which maybe peculiar to me but namely sandboxie will not start and right click takes an age for something to appear. If I were you I'd try out both to see which suits you.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As a fellow firewall non techie, my search for a firewall that is user friendly ended finally when I tried Online Armor. The GUI is very easy to navigate, and I didn't experience a lot of pop ups initially after I set my known apps to trusted. After 3 weeks of the 30 day trial, I bought it along with a year maintenance (I wish I had gone for the 2 years) and it updates itself daily. When the new version came out a week or so ago, I was pleasantly surprised to find the new version installed upon boot up. After 2 restarts to set the drivers etc. it was done. No uninstalling the old to do a clean install of the new as with most apps. It has been compatible with all my apps and I haven't experienced any bugs that I'm aware of. If you set it to Standard Mode there are no rules to set and it runs itself.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I think an important consideration when choosing a security application is the way the GUI is structured. I've used Outpost in the past and didn't like the GUI. I currently use Comodo 3.0 on Vista and Online Armour on XP. I like them both, but for me the Online Armour GUI is organized more clearly. The point is if the GUI makes sense you will understand the firewall's features and make better choices when configuring it.

11. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

If you want an advanced firewall, Outpost 2008,but along with it comes system crawling.Its payed also.
    If you dont like pop ups then you should not choose one of the top firewalls because they all do pop ups ,this is the way they work.
    If you are a beginer use Sunbelt or Sygate firewalls.
    Comodo 3 is also a nice choice(pop ups also included) but personally i stay with Comodo 3.0.14/3.0.15 untill a final version will be made.

12. faenil

faenil Registered Member

I'm not a newbie in the security field at all ^^ but when I tried Outpost it seemed to popup too much...I'll give it another go ^^

13. Dieselman

Most firewalls at first give you pop ups. Give a firewall a week and it will calm down.

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It depends on how the pop-ups are answered as to how quickly they calm down.

15. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I would go with OA free, because if stuff this good is free, the pay ware will never be good enough to be worth it. The program logic is pretty good as it compiles a list of safe applications at installation, thus cutting down on alerts for when one application interacts with another. The automatic rule making also saves a lot of grief.

As far as leak test scores go, its mostly bunk. The real question is will the program keep malware off your computer. Leak tests are not real malware, as they have a much narrower function. The chances of the outbound leak concept providing a warning after an actual infection are not very good, but don't ask Matousec that, because he makes his living touting the importance of leak testing and the lack of importance of everything else.

16. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Yes, very true.

When I first installed COMODO, the first 3-5 days were crazy. I was getting popup after popup. But now a week later, no popups at all. Just the very occasional one when I do something new.

17. Dieselman

Thank you. I only get D+ pop ups now when I install something.

18. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I am thinking of recommending Online Armor Free to my sister-in-law
    who is not familiar with the way firewalls work and would be out
    of her depth blocking ports and creating rules manually, wouldn't
    know whether to block/allow connections by svchost.exe, explorer.exe
    etc.etc.
    Would OA free be a good choice ? Will the run safer option be available
    in the free version ?

19. Omnitech

Omnitech Registered Member

Yes, OA Free has the 'Run Safer' option.
    OA Free is a good choice for your sister-in-law.

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If I can handle it it's perfect for your Sister-in-Law. This is the best thing since sliced bread. :D

21. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Ha,ha,ha ... twl845, thanks, but don't under-estimate yourself, I think
    you know exactly what you are doing and why. :)

22. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I cannot comment on Online Armor, but I do use Outpost Security Suite (OSS), Outpost Firewall (OPF) is similar minus a few items.

The latest version run quite well on my XP Pro SP2 system. I see no adverse effects. My internet connection is just as speedy with out without OSS installed. As for the popups, in the beginning until OSS gets used to your system there can be a lot of popups. I depends on how you set it up. One plus with regard to popups in the new Learning Mode that you can enable during install (and also activate any time as needed after install) that lets OSS (or OPF) learn without prompting.

23. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I just installed Online Armor on my uncle's PC and have yet to see how it works for him. I had DefenseWall on it before, which worked great, but every once in a while he would end up with a file he couldn't save and I would always have to update his browsers for him.

24. arran

arran Registered Member

Outpost pro is better. but not the latest version because it for some reason slows down browsing.

I recommend trying Outpost Version 4 I'm using it now it rocks also too outpost v4 has a plugin for IP block lists where you can import your peer gaurdian ip lists into it.

so for people downloading p2p you no longer have to have peer guardian just import the blocked ips into outpost.

25. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Used to use outpost till 2008 version came out. Then switched from comodo to look n stop to online armour. Then went back to outpost pro v4. Now im back on the newest outpost 2008 build and will be sticking to it. It works really well and ive experienced no problems so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.