Outpost stole my Internet Connection

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Chuck57, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

and I can't get it back. I was trialing the latest version of Outpost firewall and, when the trial was up I removed it. It took my dial-up connection with it when I removed Outpost. No big deal there, except that now I can't get dialup to work at all. When I go into New Connection wizard (Win XP) the dialup section in the wizard is greyed out, as if there is nothing there.

I tried to reinstall those parts, figuring the software was removed. XP won't install those parts. All that shows and is checked is broadband, which we don't have in this area.

This sounds to me like more than an Outpost problem, as if something else has attached itself to the connection and is blocking me from fixing the problem. I'm no computer guru and am completely puzzled.

Also, figuring it was time to reinstall XP, to rid myself of the extra junk windows puts in, I decided to format my drive. No luck there, either. Windows won't allow me to format. I have NTFS. I know it's possible because I've formatted with NTFS before, using 'format c:' at the DOS prompt. Anybody got any ideas? Is this an Outpost thing or is there some new bug I missed hearing about? I ran Kaspersky and it shows nothing. I did, though, notice that the computer began acting funny, slowing down a lot a day or so before this happened. I've only been surfing my normal sites, here and other similar sites.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Chuck57

If system restore is on and working, you could try a restore point back to an earlier time.

You can look at the Internet settings in your control panel and see what is there for dialup.

You could check your hardware list in the system device manager and see if there is a problem.

You can also look in the event viewer in control panel for any error messages that may apply.

As far as formatting, you might try it with the XP install disk rather than the command prompt.

3. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello,

Regedit :

Go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\
    Delete 25 and 26.

Reboot and create your connection.

Regards,

4. Chuck57

System restore was off....MY fault, as I always turn it off when doing a virus scan and Friday night is scan time. I went into Control Panel and Admin and checked and there are a number of errors showing, but they mean nothing to me.

Didn't know about formatting using the install disk. I ran it trying to get the missing pieces put back but don't know how to format using it.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. Chuck57

Thank you Ronjor and Jack.

Jack, the regedit thread you gave me worked and I'm back on my regular machine and the ancient laptop is back in its case.

Ronjor, thank you for that thread to Microsoft. I'm going to read it as soon as I post this.

Appreciate the help from both of you, and the quick responses. I knew somebody here would have the answer. This event also tells me not to be fooling around with stuff I know nothing about, although I'd never read anywhere about Outpost causing this sort of problem.

7. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Hi Chuck57,

This event is indeed an Outpost glitch.

I have encountered this several times when trying out different firewall's.
    When i had Outpost installed and later on removed, i lost my broadband connection no matter if i reinstalled Outpost again or not.

What helps is a little program called "Winsockfix", which is well known on this forum.

This will get your connection back everytime, at least it worked for me.

I don't know the download site anymore, so maybe someone else can assist you in this matter.

Hope this helps a bit, ;)

rgds,
    Martin

8. martindijk

9. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I didn't realise this could happen as I am running the trial of Outpost just now. I uninstalled Sygate (no problem losing connection things) but wondered if this is an Outpost only bug and is there a way of uninstalling to avoid this o_O

I will be OK with this as I am going to have a fresh install of everything but am worried if I have to uninstall Outpost to 'upgrade' etc if it will do the same thing o_O maybe I will be fine as I am using my router to connect but it is something I had never heard or read before.

I have just found this in their guide and it is soemthing I apply to uninstalling firewalls as the only successful uninstall of Norton is to remove and stop anything he does first. I did this with Syagte before uninstalling also.
    there are other steps invloved but I think preparation before uninstall is the best. Hopefully doing this and stopping it in services would save this happening.

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

In all fairness, the problem could well have been those other firewalls leaving bits behind (ZoneAlarm seems to be a notable example of this). While there have been cases of lost network connections reported in the Outpost forum, they are rare enough to suggest the real cause lies elsewhere.

The Failed Network services after upgrade and Ha! To simple - fixed broken Outpost threads include fixes that others have found successful in such situations.

11. martindijk

Hi all,

that's why i said that "i" have encountered it serveral times after uninstalling Outpost.

The fact that other solutions might also work, well that's good to hear.

The fact that it happened to me doesn't mean that other users have the same prob, it is just happened after i did uninstall Outpost.

rgds,
    Martin

12. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

I have just installed Outpost Firewall Pro 2.1 and just happened upon this thread about this software and now I'm worried :doubt:

I suppose I should uninstall it and pray that the same thing doesn't happen to me?

Any suggestions for a better firewall? I've tried Norton Personal Firewall, and very cautious about ZoneAlarm since I've heard that it causes many problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

13. Paranoid2000

While problems can arise with uninstalling any software (just check this forum for the number of posts relating to ZoneAlarm for example), this specific issue is pretty rare. If it was common, there would be far more threads here and at the Outpost forum complaining about it.

You should however take precautions such as creating a System Restore Point (if your version of Windows offers it) or a full system backup before installing any security software (be it firewall, AV/AT scanner or process monitor). The increasingly sophisticated nature of malware means that security products have to hook themselves ever deeper into Windows and this increases the potential for problems with some systems.

14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

mismis29, i have installed/uninstalled outpost more times than i can remember, and have never had anything go wrong. I am not saying it can't go wrong, but i think it's a pretty rare event. Link to Outpost Forum , if it does. :)

Other firewalls you could try,Kaspersky Antihacker , it's easy to configure, easy to make rules, light on resources. Looknstop, seems to be well liked around here. :)

15. joffy

joffy Registered Member

Well just tried the Outpost Pro trial, kept blocking my gmail notifier, despite being allowed in the settings, so closed it all down and uninstalled it. Reboot... lost broadband connection! o_O
    Had to do system restore to get it back.
    I'm sticking with Sygate from now on.

16. Paranoid2000

Well, that's one way to solve a problem - but did it ever occur to you to post details in the Outpost forum (or here) to get some help fixing it? Did you see any log entries relating to the Gmail notifier? (if so, they would specify why it was blocked). Since there have been no other reports of problems with the notifier, I have to assume that it was to do with the configuration you used.
    That shouldn't happen - what sort of connection was it? (DSL, cable, satellite, etc). Do you have to run a software driver for it? (e.g. WinPoet, RasPPPoE). There have been only a couple of reports of lost connections on removal - these were fixed by either doing a TCP reset (netsh int ip reset as documented in MS KB 299357 - How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP) or by running the WinSockFix utility.
    Creating a restore point before any security software installation is a good idea.
    Your choice - as long as you don't use local proxies it should serve OK. Otherwise using an alternative is advisable (try Kerio if you don't fancy giving Outpost another go) - or drop the local proxy.

17. joffy

joffy Registered Member

I have a Cable connection.
    I was using Sygate Pro, but thought I'd give Outpost a try, but when i found gmail would not work, I searched the support forum, but found nothing, and i thought i'd not bother messing about with it and just stick with Sygate which always worked fine.
    How come Sygate cannot deal with local proxies and others can?
    Not sure I know what a local proxy is!? o_O

18. Paranoid2000

Some cable providers do require special setups or software - could something like that be involved here?
    Support forums are there to help others - if you post details of your problem and a solution is found, then it could be of use to others also.
    You'd best ask Sygate that question - it is addressed in their forum FAQ.
    A proxy is an application that handles network connections on behalf of another application. Good examples include web filters like Proxomitron or WebWasher Classic - your browser will connect to these, they will connect to the website and filter any traffic coming back to the browser (in this case, removing unwanted content - advertising, etc - and providing better privacy by limiting what information your browser sends out - see BrowserSpy to see what can be done here).

Some antivirus software (e.g. Norton) also use a local proxy for scanning incoming and outgoing email.

The problem with Sygate is that while you can restrict the proxy's Internet access, you cannot limit which applications can connect through the proxy. So any malware on your system could search for and use the proxy - and its rules - to send data back without Sygate alerting you to the fact.

19. MEGAFREAK

MEGAFREAK Registered Member

why nobody had the idea to consider outpost not uninstalling just leaving it alone by disabling his main kernel driver VFILT !!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.