Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hayc59, Dec 5, 2012.
Spread the word brother..its taking over the whole world...muhhaa LOL
Taking Outpost Firewall Pro 8.0 out for a spin.
I installed it too a few minutes ago.
- Browsing speed is good. I can't notice any slowdown compared to Win7 Firewall. Which is something not all firewalls can do.
- CPU usage is good at high download speeds (used to have problems with this in old versions).
- The GUI seems more tidy, but i think it's a bit too dispersed somehow. I think Comodo's is more immediate.
- I can't believe they still use the "?" in the tray icon. This was there since v.1. A bit of imagination could have been used by now to change it so something more...appealing?
- Some parts of the UI seemed having a bit of lag, the first time i accessed them. Especially "Tools, Process Activity", took a bit of time to open. After the first time, it opens quickly.
- I have Avast Free with only File Shield and BB installed, but Outpost thought good to disable its own WebControl in order not to conflict with Avast. I suppose it's a small issue, since i could activate it back myself, since i think the conflict would be with Avast's webshield (that i haven't installed), but just saying.
- I didn't like the fact that with default rules, it had auto-allowed NetBIOS. I understand, they make it so to not to cause connectivity problems to newbies, but i would have prefered to be asked during installation. And after all, how many "average Joes" use Outpost?
- I like that you can get rid of the Agnitum news and i like the "manual" updates. I prefer installing new versions on my own initiative.
- I just installed Comodo and Outpost feels a liiiitle bit faster in opening directories, moving around Windows.
Anyway, i think it will be a good version. It's certainly much better than the last version i had tried (v5 or 6 i think, it had Agnitum news forced on you, whatever version that was).
If it results also to be bug-free, this may be the best Outpost version yet.
But i think i still like Comodo 5.10 more, in the way the interface is made. But when it comes final and gets a few updates (i am sure at first some bugs will exist, as with all new versions of security programs), i will try it again.
Liked the firewall ALOT.I tried using it along with my WSA complete and all was well until it started blocking WSA from doing some things.I removed it for the moment until I can do some more research on setting up exceptions for WSA in outpost.That's what I get for not reading the literature first.Stupid me.
OK, nice update, but where is the Log Viewer?
open Outpost GUI and...
Jotter or do you mean this section? Tools?
Yes, that was I meant. Event viewer.
Your very welcome
i really like the look of this firewall and it is the only one i havent tried lol.
im looking at perhaps trying the 30-day trial.Sadly here in the uk outpost does not seem to be available in retail stores and i have no means of purchasing online unfortunately.
Would somebody consider exchanging an outpost key for a kaspersky key at all please.?
I have approximately 300 days left on the kaspersky key.If so then please by all means PM me.
Don't suppose they'll have a free version Firewall, its been a very long time since the 6.51 has had a new face..
Good Evening ! Just installed Outpost Security Suite. So far Very Impressed...I like everything about the app...especially the clean uncluttered Gui...a model of function and form. Sincerely...Securon
and right on!!
I like it..
working very well here. not sure if i want the web control or not since i also have wsa and i dont know it there will be any conflicts there. otherwise not to heavy, i can tell i have a separate firewall installed now there is a tiny bit of slowdown while browsing but not much at all. and only about 13-15mb of ram used is not at all bad.
still playing around with the settings and testing it out with various programs. so far very nice. ill for sure pick up the suite to play with and have the lifetime lic for it.
this is more like the outpost i remember of way back when...
Simply put but elegant! I have to agree totally...very nice release indeed
Yeah. I've been using the new version 8 for the past month or so and this update was really nice GUI and speed wise. Im still having few problems here and there. For example amazon prime won't work unless FW is switched off. Can't really find the cause of the problem. I tried disabling ever single module (yes including web control) and even disabling entire FW. But prime videos won't start unless I exit the entire thing. Mystery....
I can turn off Network Discovery and File sharing only if Windows 8 firewall is activated, Whatever the configuration of Outpost.
Maybe it is not a problem, but I received no explanation of Outpost (nor from their forum).
Windows firewall is not completely disabled (impossible).
Is it a problem if Network Discovery and File sharing are Activated (both for private an public network) with Outpost ?
If network discovery and file sharing are activated for an public network with Outpost, and integrated Windows firewall disabled, it is a big problem, not possible.
Well i beg to differ.
I have the windows firewall completely disabled plus the authorization driver is disabled and ive not noticed any adverse effects.
There are no dependent services on windows firewall and i disabled it.
It is exactly my problem. I have Windows 8. And my problem occurs (not exactly in the same way) with Outpost Security Suite 7.6 and 8. With OSS 7.6 I was able to keep network discovery and file sharing disabled until I did a restart (not shutdown) of my PC.
I did that several times !
I think you are right. It's probably a false indication (in Windows firewall). The problem also arises with AVG and PersonalFirewall, but not with Norton Internet Security or Webroot.
Je ne comprends pas exactement ce que vous voulez dire par là (une erreur sur un site public ?).
Why message of Spiedbot disappeared ?