Outpost Pro 2.0 speed?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by halcyon, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Is anybody using Outpost Pro 2.0?

What is the cpu utilisation like when using firewall and content filtering capabilities with heavy surfing?

How about network transfers speeds (bandwidth and latency): are they at all affected by Outpost Pro 2.0 on a faster machine (2Ghz + and plenty of RAM)?

cheers,
    Halcyon

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Halcyon

Since no one has responded, I'll take a whack. But I am not near my home PC so I cannot provide numbers.

I have experiened high CPU utilisation problems with Outpost, even though I do not use content filtering (that is I have content filtering enabled, but no filters in place). I believe Oupost's logging plays a bigger part in driving up the utilization. I was fairly successful in addressing the problem by:

(1) using a log-size control script written by another Oupost user, and
    (2) reconfiguring my pagesys (virtual memory), which was set way too low.

I don't have a s fast a machine as you (~1Ghz + plenty of RAM).

Perhaps you can confirm the size of your Oupost log to see if my repsonse holds water. Or have I completely missed the point of your post?

Regards
    Optigrab :)

3. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

If he's talking about operation speed, I have an Athlon XP 2000+, 512mb of RAM, and I don't see any decrease in speed.

4. pooter_nerd

pooter_nerd Guest

I LOVE OUTPOSR pro v.2. I highly recommmend it. Runs fine on my pc. (2ghz, 256 RAM)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.