outpost or zonealarm

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chaos16, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

which one is better zonealarm 6.0 or outpost 2.7o_O

now i know zonealarm maybe has the uper hand coz its newer but do u think that the upcoming outpost 3.0 will be better or even now 2.7 is better than zonealarm.

coz i find that even zonealarm 6.0 slows down my computer and my internet.

pls help. :D

2. EEEQ

EEEQ Guest

I have the same doubt of you...

But I´ve used Zonealarm PRO 6 and now I´m using Outpost 2.7, becouse it´s more stable and lighter in my system..

But I don´t know which one is more secure...

3. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

chaos16, Howdy :)
    You are gonna hear a thousand reasons why this and why that
    and then your gonna be bomb-barded by seven or eight poll's
    then your gonna have to decide for yourself and that my friend
    is the question.....good luck
    All I can say is I have used Outpost since version 1
    and many others before that! I happy where I am at today
    and my psycho- babel shrink agrees.....*puppy*

4. nunya

nunya Guest

5. EEEQ

EEEQ Guest

6. Robertbb

Robertbb Registered Member

You need to install each one and see which is better for you.
    They are both good firewalls.

I personally am running ZA6 and it's working great. I've also run Outpost but for some reason it just doesn't like my setup and goes loopy, blocking previously allowed programs to not access the internet and no amount of tweaking the settings fixes it except removing outpost.

I am keeping my eye on Outpost however....

7. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I am having major problems with ZA Pro (going from 5.5 to 6) and because of the difficulty have only XP SP2 firewall currently running. I am pursuing possible fixes with ZA and on their forum. I am looking at Outpost 2.7 in case my problem with ZA Pro can't be fixed and wondering if there are any conflicts or compatibility issues with Outpost and Kaspersky Personal AV, TrojanHunter, ProcessGuard, RegDefend, WormGuard, SpyBot S&D & SpywareBlaster. I am also running a Linksys Broadband (RT31P2) Router. Are there any problems with these programs running with Outpost and will Outpost detect my router and automatically configure itself. I know Outpost has more features and tweaks, but I read info. on the webiste and it looks like it can work at the "simple" level (default and automatic configuation).

8. chaos16

i think that the new upcoming version of outpost 3.0 will be way better than zonealarm hopefully and way lighter and way way more stable.

hopefully as well it has a new technology like the 3 firewalls that zonealarm has.

i've read on the kaspersky forum that the new outpost will have a antispyware built in as well.

and the beta version will come on august i think i am looking forward to it hopefully there will be loads of ppl that will test the beta version and report all the bugs :D

BTW. is outpost the same as zonealarm in the way the firewall is already seted up. is it the same but lighter right??

9. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Don't know I was running ZA Pro 5.5 until I had major problemns trying to do a clean install of 6. I have not yet tried Outpost.

10. Tooltimetim

Tooltimetim Registered Member

Personally... I am using ZoneAlarm Pro 6 right now. It is working great for me... I don't mind the little bit of slowness when browsing/using my computer, because when I did use Outpost (2.5, 2.7) I always ran into problems.

Like many have said to me, "Try as many as you want, and see which one works best for you." :)

11. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

"which one is better zonealarm 6.0 or outpost 2.7o_O"

At the end of the day only you will be able to answer that question :)

12. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

I've used both the latest versions of both programs (OP 2.7 & ZA 6.0) and both are good programs. I do tend to prefer the ability in OP 2.7 to specify easily the exact parameters of an outgoing connection a program makes and find its logging superior to ZAP. On the other hand, using component control with OP 2.7 and my browsers gave me real trouble. Whenever I used my browser and OP 2.7 (and earlier, I've used the program since v 2.0) and a component was modified OP would freeze and I couldn't tell it to approve or disapprove the change. Often the browser would freeze too and I would be forced to close my browser to do anything. I am not alone in my problem, as a search of the excellent OP support forum will show. So far no fix from Agnitum or the denizens of the forum. I have now switched to ZA 6.0 and don't have the problem. Moreover, I find 6.0 uses fewer resources than earlier versions of ZA Pro I have used and doesn't noticably slow down browsing as earlier versions of ZAP did. So far, I have found ZAP 6.0 to be relatively bug free for a new release. However, I was forced to give up my RegDefender because ZAP 6.0's system firewall seemed to conflict. I was willing to do this because in the six months I've been using RD, it's never found a reg. change I didn't initiate. I figured between ZAP 6.0's features, and Win Patrol Plus 9.5 (which don't seem to conflict at all) I was safe enough for my purposes.

Other person's experiences may vary and as several posters have suggested, it will be best if you tried both programs yourself.

13. chaos16

coz with zonealarm every few minutes my internet stops and i have to put the firewall of and then it works.

and i have never had this problem.

as well lately i haven't been able to use my email or hotmails.

with yahoo or msn hotmails.

i doesn't alow me to use incredimail or through the site??

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

This is one of those threads that could go on forever, with testimonies on both sides for and against. It's amazing how often people try to compare these two firewalls. They are certainly very different in many ways. I personally like both of them, and tend to use whichever one has the least bugs at any particular moment. :)

15. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

And right now, I seem to have sorted out ZAP 6's problem, so I'm using that. On my system, Outpost blocks things when I don't want it to. Still, they are both secure firewalls..

16. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

The fix ZA Tech. Support did not work, so after quite a few forum posts and no luck with a fix supplied by ZA I cannot reinstall ZA Pro 6. I am now using Outpost and have had no real problems (just an annoying Outpost pop-up when I launch IE6 to figure out - something changing in FraudEliminator helper app.). Otherwise it seems to get along with my other software. I am trying to determine if it affects my Internet speed (I am testing in peak usgae times with Comcast and everyone in my subdivision seems to have it also).

17. chaos16

now we have had a long time to test the new zonealarm 6.0

so how many ppl tried the new version of zonealarm and than changed to outposto_O

who here prefers outpost now than the new zonealarm 6.0 and why.

why is the reason u prefer outpost.

BTW. any news on the next version of outpost 3.0 betao_O

18. waters

waters Registered Member

I have just changed firewall,so i thought i would try both.
    Out of the two,i am really impressed with outpost.
    Used it some time ago ,and had some problems,but none this time.
    I cant tell outpost is on but i could with zone alarm.

19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Well, I can share with you how I feel. I have several PCs in my home. I used ZA both Free and Pro with much success through 4.5 version and then ZA started to become an all in one security app. like so many these days are. Well, Zone Labs did not do it well made a mess of version 5. They are playing catch up in version 6. I see some are having issues with 6 too. Not nearly as bad as 5 however.

In the middle of all the 5 mess my key expired. I used a late version of 5 for a short period of time. And then made the move to OutPost.

OutPost has gained a pay user. ZoneLabs has lost a pay user.

OutPost people seem to do a better job in the development area imo. Both are effective but imo you will suffer far less problems going with OutPost then Zone Alarm pay or free. ;)

20. chaos16

as well i find that outpost has lees conflict more stability and not much of a resource hogo_O

am i right.

as well outpost passes more leak test than zonealarm righto_O

do u know of any other test except from leak test that outpost passes more than zonealarmo_O

21. waters

waters Registered Member

Both are good firewalls,surely the best test is the one that works best on your computer for you.

22. jcc1234

jcc1234 Guest

After some preliminary tests with ZA_Security_Suite, Outpost_Pro (along with a good AV) and Norton_Internet_Security, in my opinion, they are all good firewalls. I am looking for certain features and here is what I found:

ZA_SS Outpost_Pro NIS
    Global component list yes yes yes
    Per application component list no yes no
    Expert rules yes yes yes
    Detect Keyboard logger yes ? ?
    Dangerous WSH script filter no N/A yes
    Launch program detection ? ? yes (no Win9:cool:

Note: N/A = not applicable

All the above firewalls pass stealth test if configured properly . What I am looking for is which one has the best "process guard" features.

23. jcc1234

jcc1234 Guest

oooops, sorry the columns didn't line up

24. jcc1234

jcc1234 Guest

Hope this time the columns line up correctly.

After some preliminary tests with ZA_Security_Suite, Outpost_Pro (along with a good AV) and Norton_Internet_Security, in my opinion, they are all good firewalls. I am looking for certain features and here is what I found:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ZA_SS.. . Outpost_Pro. . . . . NIS
    Global component list - - - - - - - - - - yes . . . . .yes. . . . . . . .yes
    Per application component list- - - - - - no. . . . . yes. . . . . . . no
    Expert rules- - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -yes. . . . . yes. . . . . . . yes
    Detect Keyboard logger - - - - - - - -- - yes. . .. . . ?. . . . . . . . .?
    Dangerous WSH script filter- - - - - - -- no. . . . . N/A . . . . . . . yes
    Launch program detection- - - - - - - - - -?. . . .. . .? . . . . . . . yes (no Win98 )

Note: N/A = not applicable

All the above firewalls pass stealth test if configured properly . So what I am looking for is which one has the best "process guard" features.

25. Gort

Gort Registered Member

Gort uses Outpost 2.7 on Main Computer - very stable - Gort Likes ...
    Gort uses ZAPro 6.0 on Computer used for Beta Testing - Interesting - Gort Likes too ...
    Time for Gort to flip a "Tank" and decide ... Heads - Outpost, Tails - ZA

" sceeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrraaaazzzzzzzzzz*poof* ... hmmmm ... Gort may need another Tank ... "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.