Outpost High Memory Usage?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by DVD+R, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I just looked in Windows Task Manager, and outpost.exe is using 79.620k of Memory. Does that seem a little high? or is that really normal. This is on an Idle machine at the Moment.

Edit: Just rebooted anbd looked again after 5 mins, its now at a steady 10,363k Idle System

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  2. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

I had the same question on a couple of other fws I've tried recently.

How many connections do you have open? SKerio 4.3 was using up to ~120 mb of RAM when I had my Firefox browser open with about 20 live tabs, and my Thunderbird browser (w/ five accounts) also open.

At rest w no open browsers 4.3 was using a modest 28 or so mb.

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Hm this is odd, with 1 browser open IE7 112,836k as I'm posting, and only Incredimail 47,480k and Windows Live Messenger 76,784k running in the taskbar, outpost.exe is at present 79760 Kilobyte (KB) = 77.890625 Megabyte (MB) there is also NOD32 and Webroot SpySweeper, but they arnt open connections are they?

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

that is a bit high. make sure u have the latest version and disable unnecessary plugins as well as disable logging.

5. SamSpade

I also use NOD32 and SpySweepr 5.2. I don't know if they force extra RAM usage onto the firewall, but I would say it's very possible, more than 50%, my guess.

It seems whatever fw I use ends up tying up a lot of RAM. I'm using Jetico 1.x right now, and it seems to be the exception, using very low RAM by comparison, only about 3 to 5 mb at the moment (Ffox w 12 tabs, no email browser open).

Outpost has a lot more working than Jetico. It's got HIPS and other behavior analyzer processes, I believe. So high RAM usage doesn't surprise me.

One way or another, protection costs RAM. Whether it's an integrated "firewall" (with HIPS, CIPS, and/or other behavior checkers/blockers) or just simple packet filter firewall and separate HIPS, CIPS, and behavior blockers -- it all costs RAM. No free lunches as far as I can see.

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I disabled some running sevices in services.msc, a few Roxio Monitoring Ones, and changed a few to the recommended settings as posted in www.theeldergeek.com Outpost is now at 40.228k while Idle and msnmsgr is at 26.552k thats a significant drop so far :thumb:

7. SamSpade

Sounds about right to me. AfaIct, a good packet-inspector will use from 4 to 30 mb of RAM, depending on system (browsers open, tabs open, lines of data coming and going, etc.). Outpost has a lot of bells and whistles, but is configurable and allows plug-ins to be disabled. Looks like one of the top 2 or 3 firewall suites. Problem: $40 to use.

Cost of Jetico, Comodo, Kerio 2.1.5: $0.

//

8. blazr63

blazr63 Registered Member

Outpost will use 46 megs ram on my system until I open the GUI and close it again. I just double click on the system tray icon and then close it. The memory usage then drops to 2 megs and slowly builds to around 10. Running the GUI releases the extra memory. This was true of 3.51 and 4.0 on my laptop. It's still my favorite firewall mostly because of the Blockpost plugin.

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah outpost's memory usage does vary quite a lot, for me i've seen it as low as 3mb and as high as 50mb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.