outpost fw rule question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by timcan, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, I made this rule in outpost pro 2008 to filter out the comodo trust logo image at comodo's forum . I have a similar rule that I use in kerio 2.1.5 that works great. I made this rule in the system wide rules of outpost.Can someone tell me what I did wrong? thanks,tim

Attached Files:

2. timcan

timcan Registered Member

this is my kerio rule.

Attached Files:

• kpf5.JPG
      kpf5.JPG
      File size:
      38.1 KB
      Views:
  3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The rule looks fine except you may need to enable the "ignore component control" flag or "high priority" flag if it's a global rule you made. This way the rule will get a higher priority, otherwise a tcp rule(s) higher up the order with access to http & https will simply allow that traffic to occur to that ip you want to block. The Outpost rules processing order is explained here:

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8394

4. timcan

timcan Registered Member

thanks for the reply.Yes I do have this rule at the top of the list, and outpost will not filter the comodo image.
    I made a rule for firefox and this ip and outpost will filter the image.So I guess this means you have to edit every browser rule to filter an ip instead of 1 global rule.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You made a rule for Firefox which works for you, so that would likely confirm that it is still a "priority" factor that is taking place, because "Application" rules will take precedence over all "Global" rules (no matter how high up the global list they are) unless any of those Global rules have certain flags enabled such as the "ignore component control" or "high priority" flags that I mentioned above.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Took the time to check and I confirm it works. The trust logo disappears :) Outpost version is 3.51 and rule created under: System==> Global rules and raw socket access.

Attached Files:

7. timcan

timcan Registered Member

hi, this is the newest version I am using,and don't have the"mark rule as High Priority" that you have in your screenshot.My first screenshot is a system rule also. o_O

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You are making me work :cautious: :) Okay, I loaded my drive with the newest version and set the rule. The results are a bit puzzling o_O it works now but I saw it intermittently fail (logo appeared sometimes), It blocked the logo...then didn't block after a refresh! I then left out the direction and so far after many attempts, it is blocking the logo successfuly. I need more time to check the logs carefully, especially since I have tired eyes right now.

Attached Files:

9. timcan

timcan Registered Member

:D simple isn't it? :) sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.
    I see now my mistake in the global rule.:oops: working now and thank you for your time and effort. tim

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'm glad it's working for you, though I did see the logo sometimes appear after I hit the Comodo home button, so that's still a bit puzzling to me. Anyways, it shows in the logs it's blocked and the logo is gone most of the time, so it seems to be blocked :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.