Outpost Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by s23, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s23

s23 Registered Member

Hey guys i noted a strange behaviour with Outpost Firewall latest version. I installed Kaspersky AV to take a look at it today. The Web scanner filter need a additional rule for all programs that connect to internet so i make it when prompted. The mysterious is: I created the same rule for Internet explorer "TCP Outbound for 127.0.0.1 remote port 1110 allow" and blocked http and https for it because in the moment i'm not using it and prefer use Firefox. But look at the image: I'm hearing music in youtube even with a rule to block http to IE. If i block the rule for KAV web filter so IE not connect. Tried with some other things and still the same. Looks like the rule for KAV web filter are "leaking" (because avp.exe have http access?)? Is misconfiguration mine? What's going on?

Attached Files:

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

it sounds like a misconfiguration, you are making it too complicated for yourself. There is no need to create rules for a browser that you are not using. Web scanner module needs to work hard anyway so give it full unfettered access if you must use it.

3. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

s23

Plus you're showing a copyrighted image, watch out for the RIAA lol !

On a serious note, how you liking Outpost, was it easy to configure etc as i might be trying it out soon ? What were you using before ?

TIA

4. s23

s23 Registered Member

So mine misconfiguration is big!:eek: tried with vmnat.exe(VMware), iobitupdate.exe (from advanced system care), PSI.exe and even with block HTTP rules it leaked. I make a scan with NMAP from a Vista VM and ports used by KAV (1110, 19780) are open. I'm not have any general rule in the system tab or something like this. Really not understand what is wrong.

5. s23

s23 Registered Member

uhauahauuaauhauahau RIAA LOL ! But maybe i can accept be jailed to hear good music like Steve vai, satriani, John Petrucci, derek sherinian in youtube. Maybe is a good exchange if you think a live show have a cost so high! With the money i economize from shows i'm sure i pay the bail ! auhahuahauuhauauahahua

I'm using Oupost for some months (5-6) and i liked it. Create rules is very easy (even for normal users ) The unique thing i wish in oupost is a possibility of add iprange for rules. before i used Comodo and Online Armor. Liked too, but personal choice go to Outpost.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  6. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Hello s23,

Yes you have a configuration issue. If you read in the NOD32 forum about the proxy issue, you will find a wealth of information. You can also check on the Outpost firewalll forum where it also has been discussed.
    This rule allows IE to connect through. In the first rule you have blocked HTTP HTTPS but port 1110 is not one of those. When a proxy is used the communications are routed to it through that port and it sends the requests out to the target (HTTP HTTPS). That is the source of the complaints about lost of granularity.

7. s23

s23 Registered Member

Ow Thanks man you clarified all. Now i understand what is going on. I'll read the posts you recommended and search more information. Really thx man.

and StevieO take a look at Outpost when you can. Outpost is user friendly, easy to do things and provide a decent protection. different apps for different needs. Is always what fit more what you want.

take care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.