Outpost Firewall Pro Spyware Database updates

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rebelscum0000, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebelscum0000

rebelscum0000 Registered Member

Hi,
    I am a OFP user. It has been 6 days since the last Spyware Database Update, no more updates until now.
    My question is what is the risk to surf the net, watch your tube videos, in short words any task connected to Internet without an updated Spyware DB or a Spyware DB is OUT-OF-DATE?

Windows XP Pro SP3, Outpost Firewall Pro V. 7.0.4 (3409.520.1244)x86, ESET NOD32 Antivirus, Spybot -Search & Destroy, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Shadow Defender

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I see from your signature that you're running Sandboxie? Do you run your web browser, e-mail client, media player, pdf reader, etc under Sandboxie's protection?

If so, you'll be OK.

I also see it's a problem some Outpost users are having -http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26061

3. rebelscum0000

Thank you for your reply

Yes, I do run your web browser, e-mail client, media player, pdf reader, etc under Sandboxie's protection

It is a shame, sanboxie payed version does the hard work and not my Firewall, to be honest I am tired of the lack of Spyware DB provided by Agnitum

Which Firewall do you use at this moment?, I need an advice to try another Firewall

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm using Windows 7 own firewall with outbound protection. Over the time I just go fed up using Outpost as well; sometimes it would simply fail to load completely, and upgrades never really fixed it. I don't know if newer version solved it or not, and don't really feel like going back to verify it.

Windows Firewall with Advanced Security will do the same job as others, and without the constant and annoying alerts.

You're using Windows XP, though. If you wish for outbound traffic, then Windows XP lacks it, unfortunately.

If your only issue with Outpost is the Spyware database not updating as it should, simply disable that component. With all honesty, you wouldn't need it. If not any other problems are occurring, since you got a license (or is it a trial?), just use, until the license validity ends.

I see you use Spybot - Search & Destroy. Do you use it for its immunizations for, perhaps, Internet Explorer? If you feel the need to have such immunizations - why not? it makes no harm - you could also make use of SpywareBlaster immunizations. It's really up to you to decide whether or not you'd have such need.

Considering you're running those dangerous applications like web browser under Sandboxie, plus NOD32 and SUPERAntispyware PRO (real-time ?)... and Shadow Defender... and if you're a user who is aware of the Internet dangers, which I believe you are, you're OK.

5. rebelscum0000

Thank you very much for your advice running XP!!!!

Soon I will install Windows 7, my copy arrives yesterday.. but this will be another history :D for now is enought info ;)

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

With the amount of armour you have in your arsenal....probably nil !!
    ellison

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

If your running Shadow Defender then I wouldn't be worried about anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.