Outpost Firewall Pro + KAV 2013???

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JRCATES, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

As popular as both Outpost Firewall Pro and Kaspersky Anti-Virus are, I'm surprised that I don't see them mentioned more often as a software security tandem used on more people's machines.

IIRC, it seems that there used to be problems between these two in previous/earlier builds a few years back, but I also seem to recall reading somewhere that those problems were now corrected and a thing of the past. Perhaps because it was fairly well known that problems existed between the two years ago, people just stopped trying to use these two together.

Has anyone run these two in the past year or so and can report their experiences? Either favorably or negatively?

2. JRCATES

Really o_O

Wow. Over 100 views and not one single reply. :doubt:

OK...looks like I stumped the Wilders crowd. :D

All things considered, I'm guessing they must not be extremely compatible. I've stumbled across posts from members who at one time (a few years ago) used this combination...but don't anymore. I've gotta think that it would still be used by those members, if it was a compatible combination, since the protection offered would be outstanding.

OK.....well, how about this one: Outpost Firewall Pro and Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013

How compatible is this setup?

I'm considering Bitdefender and Bullguard as well as KAV. I feel fairly certain that Outpost and Bullguard will be compatible, since I believe that Bullguard Internet Security uses Agnitum's Outpost for it's firewall.

3. Disney

Disney Registered Member

I ran them together . No problem . Just have to allow each app in the other application . With Outpost 8 , I have no idea . I will not use 8 yet !

4. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

I have run Kaspersky Pure with the firewall turned off etc with outpost 7 firewall.

There is an article on Kaspersky website about how to run KAV and outpost together.

Installing kaspersky first and then outpost allows outpost to change things to suit as well.

I do have a freeze problem when outpost does an updae occasinally bit it could be down to something else as it is not consistent.

Martin

5. JRCATES

Thanks for the replies, Disney and trott3r :thumb:

By the way....I noticed that neither of you is running Outpost 8 yet (me either). Well....in the case of trott3r, his signature doesn't indicate that he is. Can I ask why? Is it stability issues, changes to the features list, GUI changes, just not wanting to go through the process of uninstalling/re-installing and then setting everything back up again? Thanks

6. trott3r

No spyware scan is available in OP v8
    Thats my initial memory.

There might have been something else but i dont remember.

I do have the Outpost full suite with v8 on a win7 install (AV and FW) and i do like the tick this box if you want similiar activity to be allowed on an initial popup.

Martin

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

well i run outpost 8 + bitdefender free without any problem before that i use outpost pro + avast 7 best trick is install your AV 1st and install outpost after it and use compatibility mode

i dont run windows very often but so far good combo ;)

8. subferno

subferno Registered Member

I am running Outpost 8 Pro and Kaspersky AV 2013 on Win8, no problems here. I have diabled most of Outpost's feature except for the firewall so that may have made the combination more tolerable.

9. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Running kaspersky pure AND outpost firewall seems a bit silly to me.

I would have used the firewall in kaspersky rather than bloating the computer out anymore.

10. JRCATES

I can definitely see your point....but for the longest time, the belief was to have a "layered" security. That way, if malware was able to disengage your firewall OR your antivirus....you still had "the other" form of protection. Many believe (or believed) that having two different products made it more difficult for malware to penetrate the defense.

Now, it seems that many people prefer having "one product that does it all" (i.e. - a "suite"). Personally, I still prefer having a dedicated Firewall/Hips (i.e. - Outpost Firewall Pro) AND a dedicated antivirus (i.e. - Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013)...but I realize that many don't feel the same way that I do. And to that, I say....to each their own, and whatever works for them and that they are happy with. :)

I will say this....since Kaspersky Pure DOES HAVE a dedicated two-way firewall....I do see what you're saying about just using it rather than adding "yet another" product to the mix. I probably would have just opted for Kaspersky Antivirus if I was going to pair it with Outpost.

11. trott3r

I got Kaspersky Pure as it was cheaper than KAV.
    The Kaspersky firewall is not as configurable as outposts.

Ideally i would run KAV and outpost but Pure happened to be cheap at the time

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Usually Pure is the more expensive of the two.

13. trott3r

KAV rarely seems to be on offer but Pure and KIS do seem to discounted in the UK.

I never buy direct from kaspersky as they charge full price

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.