outpost firewall pro and online armor free - layering h.i.p.s. functionality

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chrome_sturmen, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

First and foremost, respects to both of these security applications and their teams, which have created security applications proven to be the best of their kind.

For those that have a license for outpost firewall pro, and want a fuller featured h.i.p.s. app, I highly recommend online armor free.

One may find that outpost firewall's h.i.p.s. feature, while functional, doesn't offer the same control as a dedicated h.i.p.s. app, and that online armor free, while excellent, is stunted in the free version - so here is my way of layering the h.i.p.s. features of both programs to produce what I consider an airtight h.i.p.s. function.....

Use online armor free as it comes, and then with outpost firewall's h.i.p.s., disable everything, except the following:

1.JPG

2.JPG

You will find with this that you get no redundant popups, and that each compliments the other well. Some small personally preferred changes can of course be made to my recommendations, but this I think is a good basic outline.

Also, I would recommend that in online armor, you go to each of your security applicatons and check "protect from termination" and "protect from suspend" which will keep your antimalware apps from being terminated by malware - as was the case for me a couple years ago with malware that killed avira and proceeded to hose my hard disk...

Snap1.jpg

as always, thoughts appreciated

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

OA free doesn not protrect at boot/shutdown, so I would stick to the FW of Outpost free.

3. chrome_sturmen

i'm not discussing firewall functionality here, only the h.i.p.s. components of the given apps :blink:

though of course you rule kees for helping me out with that robert plant :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

And, that's - I believe - exactly what Kees was mentioning. Online Armor (HIPS module) does not protect user on boot/shutdown.

I hope I am not confusing anything. But, this thought of yours made me wonder what combinations could be done between both OA and Outpost free versions, in what comes to the HIPS modules.

5. chrome_sturmen

good point, really

6. subset

subset Registered Member

That's not correct.
    HIPS does protect on boot/shutdown.
    But the FW option 'block all traffic during system boot' is greyed out with OA Free.

Cheers

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

OK. Thanks for clarifying me. I'm not much into OA. But, when Kees mentioned that, I thought he was referring to the HIPS module.

It was my mistake, and I apologize if I lead something into false information.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.