Outpost Firewall Pro 2009

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by boelectronic, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boelectronic

boelectronic Registered Member

What problems make outpost firewall not popular, what's cons about that?

how do you compare it to Online Armor, I've seen Matousec compare, I want to know your opinion :)

I'm really happy with that, but I can see Online Armor are getting better result in action, but to outpost better job, help me to decide which one is better :)

2. lost24

lost24 Registered Member

I have been using Outpost for 3 years (Firewall pro until last december, and Security Suite since then), and I just find it perfect. From reading tests and user opinions I can say that it's at least as good as OA and Comodo. Depending on when the test is posted it may vary in favor of the one or the other, but all in all they're just great security softwares.

I would definitely recommend Outpost, especially now, with the lifetime license ;)

3. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

I cannot compare Outpost to Online Armour, but I can just tell you that my experience with Outpost 2009 has been mostly positive. I purchased the lifetime license at few weeks ago, and will be using it as my main software firewall for a very long time. All the extras including the Antispyware (which I tested and caught many nasties in my virtual machine) and ad blocker, are well done and once you add an antivirus like Antivir, AVG and Avast you've probably got a pretty cheap, effective suite for the price.

Why has it not been as popular? Probably because Agnitum does not offer an effective free version of the firewall. Their free version is Outpost 1.0 and it's just too outdated to recommend on a modern system. You have choices like Comodo Firewall and Zone Alarm Free and both of those companies are very popular because of their free offerings.

4. boelectronic

boelectronic Registered Member

Thank you friends, I agree with you both.

the only thing about outpost, it's only a great firewall, not good antispyware and ad blocker, ad blocker would bother you during web surf and antispyware has many false positive and missing real spyware....

also, it need a better management in web filters like Cookie and script and...

anyway, I love it and I'm using it with lifetime license :)

5. mhob

mhob Registered Member

I suggest to try the demo of Outpost 2009 first, before you buy it. Try it for full 30 days. Outpost likes to buckle when a lot of ports are used at one time. I had nothing but trouble over the last couple of years with Outpost Firewall. The program is not stable on any of my systems! It causes BSOD in WinXP and Vista x64. The people on the Outpost Forum always lay the blame on something else instead of taking action and fixing Outpost program.

I've been told it's faulty drivers, but when I uninstall Outpost, my systems become stable again.

So I can't recommend Outpost to anyone, until they admit to their program having issues and compatibility problems with other programs. One time they blamed my Intel ICH9R RAID for the problem. If Outpost can't work reliable with Intel RAID drivers, Agnitum has issues they need to address.

I was also running Avast on one of my configs, and Outpost disables parts of itself because of that.

Right now I'm trying out NORTON 2009 Internet Security, which is an amazing improvement over older bloated versions. This version is fast, light, and just runs great. The firewall also doesn't nag the user like Comodo. Comodo is very intrusive with it's Defense+ module.

Can you tell I'm fed up with Outpost and their lack of support?
    I've submitted numerous issues to them, and they never reply back.
    It took them TWO YEARS to include automatic rules to allow XBOX to connect to Windows Media Center! Other firewall software I tried had NO issues with XBOX and Media Center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.