Outpost Firewall Pro 2009 (6.5.5. 2535.385.0692)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Antarctica, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Outpost Pro has been Updated today.

Some of the issues that were resolved:

-Driver could crash on plugging card reader
    -Packets blocked by IP Block component were not displayed in the Packets log
    -Updates did not work if Internet Explorer was not installed
    -More minor issues.

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

And i suppose the little ADWARE issue of the Agnitum news being downloaded despite all user efforts to the contrary, isn't, once more, addressed, right?

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Which version started doing this?

4. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Outpost Security Suite Pro 2009
    Outpost Firewall Pro 2009
    Outpost Antivirus Pro 2009

Supported OS: Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, Windows Server 2008 (x32, x64)
    Build number: v.6.5.5. 2535.385.0692
    Release Date: 09 June 2009

The following issues are resolved (only significant ones are listed):
    • Driver could crash on plugging card reader
    • Packets blocked by IP Block component were not displayed in the Packets log
    • Updates did not work if Internet Explorer was not installed
    • More minor issues

Changes for Outpost Security Suite

The following improvements are introduced:
    • Updated antivirus engine

• Packets blocked by IP Block component were not displayed in the Packets log
    • More minor issues

Changes for Outpost AntiVirus
    The following improvements are introduced:
    • Updated antivirus engine

• More minor issues

Download: All Versions
    View: Whats New

5. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

For the previous build 6.5.4 (2525.381.0687), we got in some issues, and hope there is confirmation whether it is or not.

1/. Antileak Control log: Although it is set that "BLOCK" to "DNS API REQUEST" for Firefox, it is still showing that "10:21:25 PM Allow FIREFOX.EXE DNS API request "

2/. Malware scan with compressed archives having filename of accent characters.
    Failed to unpack archive t:\- learning center\digital forms\t?m trú.odt

3/. Networking.
    The following when unplug the RJ45 from my computer. Then, plugin back the RJ45 connector. OPSS shows the followings. OPSS has max attack detection setting.
    10:42:42 PM SVCHOST.EXE OUT UDP 255.255.255.255 67 Allow DHCP 656 0
    10:42:55 PM 0.0.0.0 Host blocked for 5 min ARP_SCAN
    10:42:55 PM Block Blocked by the Attack Detecton component ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff MAC_GATEWAY IN, Ethernet
    10:43:14 PM SVCHOST.EXE OUT ICMP Gateway * *Allow ICMP for SVCHOST.EXE #1 0 0
    10:43:14 PM Block MAC_GATEWAY MAC_MyPC MAC_GATEWAY IN, Ethernet
    10:43:23 PM SVCHOST.EXE IN UDP Gateway 67 MAC_GATEWAY 0 0
    10:43:23 PM Block MAC_GATEWAY ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff MAC_GATEWAY IN, Ethernet
    10:43:53 PM SVCHOST.EXE IN UDP Gateway 67 MAC_GATEWAY 0 0
    10:43:23 PM Block MAC_GATEWAY 255.255.255.255:68 Gateway:67 IN, UDP

After 5minutes of Attack detection ARP Scan is off, renew ip can succeed automatically.

4/. OSPP crashed repeats.
    First, Saved OPSS configurations to a file. Then, I uninstalled OPSS and uninstall some applications already on OPSS application listing; and then, re-installed those some -uninstalled applications back with different location directory paths.
    Re-install OPSS. And, imported the configuration file back.
    Now in application tab of OPSS had some application and component entries with non-existence of it; and, OPSS does not have an option to flush away those non-exist entries (OnlineArmor does it well on this). While I was trying to REMOVE manually non-exist entries, OPSS was crashed. I ran OPSS back, repeat removals of non-exist entries, OPSS was crashed then....

6. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Update went smooth. No problems so far.

7. Fuzzfas

I 've no idea. I bought lifetime license of Outpost since Jan 2009 and it was doing it back then.

8. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Adware o_O

The Softpedia definition
    From Wikipedia
    Outpost meets none of these definitions.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  9. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Not sure about Pro, but in free, you don't even get an option not to view the news. Wish they would change this.

10. Fuzzfas

I don't know... Having to see the Agnitum promo news, in a paid product, despite all efforts to the contrary, i call it adware.

How do you YOU call it? (Use your own words to describe it if you can't find a definition).

I have a proposal for you. How about "Phoning Home without your consent and without giving you any choice, in order to display Agnitum promo information?"

Better now?

So that it won't come under this category:

So we are all happy. BTW, why do they "deliver" you those news? Could it be for advertising/pubblicity reasons? If you buy an electric hoover and then the shop starts mailing your home company news about the hoover's brand, would that be advertising purpose or not?

Regards

It's the same in the Pro. This is like having a fixed size nag promo screen incorporated in Avira Pro and say it's normal for a paid product to call home in order to deliver you the latest and greatest company news.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  11. Fuzzfas

Some samples from the Pro.

- You bought Outpost, so, you MUST be interested in security tips articles.
    http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2124/84653568.gif

- You bought Outpost, so you MUST be interested in that Agnitum has partnered with Novell.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5373/outpostproinstall64exe.gif

- You MUST be interested that we ranked 1st in Matousec (all Matousec lovers rejoyce):
    http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/660/73015438.jpg

- Errrr... What's that? "Special Offer, Award Winning Winrar 3.61 - get 20% Off Only Today!"

"Case Study: Oupost protects Messe Munich Gmbh." I don't even know what Messe Munich Gmbh is, i presume it's a Munich Company or something. Why should i see this? Because like the Novell alliance, it serves to show "how great company we are" (things to remember when time to renew the yearly subscription comes).
    http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9392/36150429.jpg

- Our blog needs more readers, so you MUST allow us to inform you about it. (what other choice do you have...)

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6956/outpostfirewallprowm.jpg

Ok, advertising your own company/blog doesn't count as adware, it's only a "forced phoning home to show you news that MUST interest you". What about trying to sell WinRar? Could that be seen as adware? Or, the fact that it is a "one day offer" shouldn't be seen as such?

Call it however you want, one thing i can't call it, is... "NORMAL" product.

Think, that most other companies are happy with asking you to subscribe their newsletter. But why ask you when they can FORCE you to read it, right? And then people complain about Avira Free nag screen. Well at least you didn't pay for it and the only thing it says is "upgrade to Pro".

This is what i call "Keeping your customer close to you". :) Welcome to the Hotel Agnitum: "You can checkout anytime you like, but can never leave". And as one can see, this "forced news" thing, goes back many years. They know about it, they know that users have complaint about it, but they INSIST on not giving an "opt-out" to the user. Why? Logic says, because their gains (pubblicity) is more profitable than accomodating the probably small number of annoyed users. So to hell with them.

P.S.: Imagine if every paid program (MS Windows including) was following a similar tactic, where they reserve a good portion of their interface to display forcefully their "news" (nice way to put it)... On the other hand one could quit reading newspaper, he would spend all day reading the latest Microsoft news, Norton news, blogs, etc. But at least give the option to avoid it to whoever would want to. Most programs allow for manual updates. It's only fair to give a PAID customer the chance to opt out from automatic "news" too.

12. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Anyone know what is new in the AV engine ??
    Better rootkit detection (I hope)...

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Not even in Pro version you have the option to opt-in or opt-out. At least, not without some struggle.

Still, the user should be given the choice whether or not to want those "news" downloaded.

I don't know for how long has been like that, but it shouldn't even have started.

I'd understand if such news were to alert users to be careful, and even provide some useful tips. Again, if users wished it so. Now, news to advertise products, even if their own... blah!

14. noway

noway Registered Member

15. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Agreed - even those on the Agnitum support forum think there should be a news opt-out. In the Pro version, I thought there was an "x" on the box where you could close the popup? The free version doesn't even have that.

And if you block news, you also block updates.

16. m00nbl00d

No, there is no "x" to stop news from downloading. The only thing you can do, and I never tested it, is what was mentioned by user noway here http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23689&highlight=news

Unless, I've been blind all this time! lol (It wouldn't be news, though. :D)

I also can't tell you if, by blocking news, you also block updates.

It's not so much that news are updated. It's that users aren't asked if they wish them so. I don't think that paid users are paying for Outpost's products to advertise their other products, or awards... or whatever.

It shows lack of respect. Maybe the paid users should start a damn petition against this. I'm surprised to know that Agnitum never listened to their supporters. What are they expecting? To lose them, and then start respecting them, so that they can have them back?

Maybe, if all users giving them suggestions and testing their products, stop doing it so, they will start to pay attention. Who knows. But, I guess that the old users (old supporters) at Outpost's forum would have to start it.

Cheers

17. Fuzzfas

Exactly, no X, no nothing. Plain and simple, they have dedicated a good portion of the GUI for that purpose and they intend to make use of it.

Yes. By coincidence, they use the same executable for downloading news and updates. So, you CAN stop the news. By blocking ACS.exe in the firewall rules. But, this , will have as side-effect, that you can't update the product, the antispyware definitions or antivirus definitions (even the firewall has antispyware, so you need to update definitions), because they also use ACS.exe.

How to put it. They did their best, to make sure that you download their "news". Could they have used a different executable to download news? Of course they could have. But the whole point is to deliver you the news, so why do it? You could block it easily. And Agnitum doesn't want that...

If you see one of the screenshots i posted, it shows "Agnitum newsletter 2006". They know that people are annoyed, they simply don't care and thus they have made this "news" thing a standard policy in every new version.

In Outpost forum this issue has been posted repeatedly over the years. To no end of course. I myself will send again a mail of protest.

18. m00nbl00d

But, have they stopped beta testing, etc? If not, Agnitum won't give a damn. If Agnitum realizes that users are really unhappy, and I'm not just referring to say it out loud, maybe something will be done about it.

If they get no suggestions, no improvements will be done.
    If they have no beta testers, then they will have to get millions of differents systems, to check for any possible conflicts with quite a few other hundreds of applications. They also won't have any one to report them problems, obviously.

19. Fuzzfas

I don't follow closely Outpost, so i don't know what their beta test team is. I am not even registered in the Outpost forum. I just bought a lifetime license this January and only then i was surprised to discover this issue.

I imagine that they MUST have some feedback from the Outpost forum. (Which vendor doesn't peek in his own profuct's forum?!). Even if they don't read it themselves , i think that at least some moderators must be in contact with them.

This "news" issue is at least 3 years old now. They don't seems to see anything wrong with it.

20. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I know you can't stop the download, but in the Pro version, I thought I remembered an "x" with the popup box. Guess I remembered wrong. Hopefully Agnitum will listen to the feedback.

21. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You remembered pretty much right; there is a "Do not show this alert again" checkbox that can be enabled on the alert, but, as you mentioned, it does not stop the news download, only the alerts.

Even as moderator/beta tester for Agnitum, I also hope they very soon include an option to disable the news downloads. From my unbiased viewpoint , I don’t perceive the news downloads as adware; rather, I see it as tarnishing the professionalism of the gui and ultimately the product. So that’s what annoys me about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2009
  22. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

It's kind of borderline on the adware front since they are advertising their own product, but I think ethically it would be better if you could stop the download in both versions since it's not an ad for Pro version - and it should be separate from regular updates. This wouldn't make me stop using Pro, but it is an issue that should be addressed.

23. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Registered Member

I like the Firewall. I don't mind the news. At least it does not install any third party browser toolbars on my computer......like some of them do! ;)

24. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Amen brother...and if you apply the tweak until Agnitum does the right
    thing for the news download...there is no news is good news and your worries will be less in life...fo sho!!

25. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Agreed...who cares? I like reading their news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.