Outpost firewall and FD

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Anyone ever have any conflicts between these two excellent softwares? I know that Comodo firewall version 2 had to have its self-protection feature turned off in order for FD to do its coping job. Outpost also has a self protection feature and I was just wondering if anyone ever had any problems.

Thanks,
    Acadia

2. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

both great softwares are running smoothly here like a sharm
    copying and updating snapshots without any affection by the outpost self protection

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, Hany.

Acadia

4. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi Acadia,
    Not sure if it was a conflict between those two. Last week when I tried to replicate I got a error. A reboot fixed the problem. Never had any problems
    before that, will keep a eye...

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Here's another question. From studying Outpost I see that the new SmartScan technology of the anti-Spyware feature appears to be using Alternate Data Streams, I'm almost positive of that. ADS can mess up FirstDefense big time. An old version of Kaspersky used ADS and it messed up so many programs that they quickly created a new version without ADS. FirstDefense was one of the programs that old version of Kas messed up. Have any of you turned on the SmartScan? Actually I'm planning on keeping it turned off but I was curious.

Thanks again,
    Acadia

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Well, at the time I was using Kaspersky and unfortunatly I end up to format my computer because of ADS. I am not sure if Outpost is using this technology but anyhow I am not using this module with Outpost.

Acadia,You could always drop a message on the Outpost Forum and ask about ADS.:)

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, Antarctica, I'm sure they could verify the ADS but they probably would have no idea if it would interfere with FD, still, I might play around in their forums, thanks.

Acadia

8. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

to be mentioned here that i use outpost without its antispyware module , and the host protection "customed to low "
    and i 've red some threads about possible problems between antispyware module of outpost with FD-ISR but as long as i don't use this module so i really can't confirm these news

9. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Acadia,
    I use outpost pro 2009 version 6.5.2358.316.067 with the anti spyware module enabled. How do you turn on smartscan? I have noticed no issues with fd-isr 3.31.232. Thanks in advance, tim

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I'm not using it yet but this is from the User Guide:
    To improve scan performance, you can have Outpost Firewall Pro create scan status cache files in each scanned folder by selecting the Enable SmartScan technology check box on the General tab of the product properties. Note, that the cache files are invisible and therefore may cause false positives from anti-rootkit tools.

Acadia

11. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, that's how dumb I am :p .I guess smartscan has been enabled since I installed outpost 6-7 months ago. No conflicts that I'm aware of between the two programs. hope this helps, tim

12. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Hello Acadia,
    That documentation is outdated. The Outpost 2007 version did use the hidden files in each folder causing detections for rootkit behaviours. This blog entry from Monday, May 12 2008 Smartscan2 may help. Information about the scanned files is stored in a single file.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, FirePost, actually I've been using Outpost since Saturday with no problems. :cool:

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.