Outpost Firewall 2.5 Build 375/374 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hayc59, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Outpost Firewall 2.5 Build 375/374

Note that this version is only available via direct download initially. Updates via Agnitum Update will be made available later. From the mailing list:

Following is a list of issues that were fixed

+ Improved stability and performance
    + Outpost crashed on load on some computers
    + Interface issues in Network Activity windows
    + Application description display issues
    + Attack Detection: 'Select...' link did not work
    + Attack Detection plug-in prevented some attacks detection
    - Process name detection issue in Windows 2003 SP1 is not resolved yet

+ Third-party firewalls detection improved
    + Memory leak during each logon/logoff
    + Stateful inspection was ignored in system TCP rules
    + Some DNS requests were processed incorrectly that resulted in browsing issues
    + Component Control issue with applications installed on disks created with Subst command fixed
    + Several BSODs fixed
    + Rules Wizard did not work for incoming UDP packets
    + Agnitum Update informed that the existing files were newer than the downloaded ones
    + Rules for Remote administrator added

+ Some loopback addresses were not processed as local
    + ICS is not blocked now in Block Most mode
    + Log Viewer: received data counter fixed
    Please go the Agnitum Download Page to get your copy today.

2. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Should I uninstall Build 370 first? Or install it over 370?

3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi JayTee,

First, back up your config (go File/Save Configuration As). Next, right-click the OP tray icon and select "Exit and Shutdown...". After OP shuts down, start the installer. You will be asked to reboot after the existing version is uninstalled. The upgrade continues after rebooting and you will be asked to reboot one more time. At some point you will be asked to reuse your existing config or start fresh. You may have to reconfigure your plug-ins when the upgrade is finished.

Nick

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Nick S,
    I had to uninstall the earlier version tonight Blue Screen with eror message. I uninstalled in safe mode, No choice. A certain no,,,no with ZAP. Got my system back after uninstall. Can I just go get new download from site if you think that is problem? :( :'(

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi mercurie,

I upgraded two systems (XP SP2) today without any problems. OP's installs/upgrades have been smooth for me for a long time. I would try again.

Nick

6. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Do you have Zone Alarm installed? If so, lots of times you will need to remove Zone Alarm or whatever other firewall you have before you install a new firewall. Firewalls are notorious for not getting along with each other and it is reccommended to only have one firewall installed at a time...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2005
  7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Very good point, since ZoneAlarm has been known to leave bits and pieces of itself hanging around after an uninstall. It's best to uninstall ZA with the /clean argument also. Sometimes a manual uninstall needs doing. Should be able to get instructions on the ZoneLabs site... However, he did have 2.5.370.370 (Outpost) installed and working, so perhaps it has nothing to do with ZA..

8. mercurie

No ZAP was already long gone doing the Guru Hoov Clean uninstall, although I just got rid of the remainder bits in a file marked Zone Labs file and all gone now. I downloaded new OP version but have not installed. :doubt: It is either the earlier version of Out Post or a potential conflict with some part of System Suite 4 I am thinking. Intelicluster is now off. BigC is also being kind enough to help too.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Mercurie, perhaps you should just try installing the new OP now and see what happens? Or is that not possible? I'm a little confused as to what's happening... :doubt:

P.S. Looks like several others are getting blue screens over on the Outpost forum also..

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

When I upgraded, I did shut down my other running security apps (Process Guard, RegRun, and made sure OP was not in BOClean's "Program Excluder").

Nick

11. mercurie

Your confusion is understandable. If you look over in Software Services forum you will see "MXDisk.sys...." and so on post. Thought I had it fixed until tonight. My apoligies for working two threads dealing with the same problem although they may be different but yet all related to one central issue, that may yet have been discovered.

I am going to give the new version a try. I will let you know how it does. It will take a few days to know if I've got it worked out. :)

12. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Yes that is the way to do it,

If you are running DiamondCS Processguard you will need to temporarily disable its protection to install the new version of Outpost otherwise you will get a error regarding admin rights.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  13. mercurie

Fellow Creatures,
    I said I would post back See post #11. When I am making decisions I like very much when others post back with results. So...

So far so good no Blue screens and no further problems. Just to review I did a clean install of thread title release and I have disabled intellicluster in System Suite 4. Hopefully this problem is behind me and is not :ninja: in the background waiting to strike during a future reboot or something like that. ;)

14. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

Everything upgraded nice and smoothly for me. Hopefully I'll be seeing plenty more of these upgrades, what with the lifetime upgrade policy and all :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.