outpost and firefix...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by James314, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James314

James314 Guest

hi all,

does anyone know how to set the right rules for firefox. When i first ran it I selected the preset 'firefox' but I still get asked to give permission when i run firefox.

thanks,

James.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Does the prompt for traffic appear when you start Firefox and mentions access to 127.0.0.1? If so, this is safe to allow (since 127.0.0.1 is a "loopback address" referring to your own PC) though you can block it also if you wish - this is apparently to do with Firefox's Password Manager option.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you get asked over and over after approving it a few times, then you may have a problem, otherwise just allow it and tell Outpost to remember your settings and that should be the end of it. I think I got asked a couple times for Firefox here with Outpost, once for loopback as P2k mentions, and once for the regular connections to port 80 or whatever.

4. James314

James314 Guest

ahhhh! I keep getting asked to set rules! It is a loopback connection - 127.0.01 but why am i getting asked each time, so far about ten times!

help!

James.

5. James314

James314 Guest

ok I got it, I had to go into options>rules>allow loopback (I had it disabled). Now firefox is working fine without any prompts from outpost.

thanks for the help.

James.

6. Paranoid2000

I'd bet that you are only being offered the "Custom" preset which creates a rule including local/remote ports - since the local port will be different for every outgoing connection (it is allocated by Windows itself), each rule you create will only apply to that connection attempt.

I'd suggest deleting all those loopback rules for Firefox in Options/Application and create the following rule instead:

Firefox Loopback Connection: Protocol TCP, Outbound, Remote Host 127.0.0.1, Allow

7. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Just for the heck of it i checked my outbound FF allow rule and discovered that when i made the rule ages ago i had checked allow inbound..................how bad could this have been......:p

8. Paranoid2000

Not too big an issue if the inbound rule specified a remote address of 127.0.0.1, which would only allow incoming connections from other applications on your PC. If no remote address and no local port was specified, then this rule would be more of a problem (though much more so if applied to an application that kept lots of ports open to receive data).

9. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Thanks P2k............no problem then........at least not with the rule :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.