outpost 4 general question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mantra, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i have some questions about outpost 4
    well i running now outpost 2.7 last built , i can't upgrade to oupost 4 , i should upgrade my license

i would like to know that
    IS outpost 4 with the only plugins attack detect and the feature to download ruleset ImproveNet , and the other plugins antispy and so on off , unload (drop out) is light like outpost 2.7 ?

well i fear to try a trial version , because i 'm scarry to screw my system ,that work good right now , i had bad experieces with outpost 2.7 and upgrade

so any advises are welcome

2. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I've never used version 2.7, but for a couple years now i've used version 4xx, now using the last version of 4x, and it doesn't seem to give me any trouble at all with all plug-ins enabled, on a 2.1 gig processor with 2 gigs of ram. It's a mature product at this point and i'd think you'll be pleased with the upgrade :thumb:

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

do u know how many ram & resource need ?

4. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Later versions of Outpost Pro are to be considered as memory hoggy and causes relatively high CPU-load compared to other software firewalls.

5. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

from the agnitum site:

System Requirements
    Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, Server 2003
    Pentium 450 or faster
    50MB HardDisk space
    Memory: 128 MB (for Windows 2000/XP/ Server 2003)

Important Notes

We strongly recommend that you uninstall all other firewall applications before installing Outpost Firewall. Running Outpost with other firewall products can result in system instability (i.e., crashes) and can cause Outpost to operate in an unsecure mode.

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/download.php

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

mantra (or is it mantrasiva?)

you already asked this same question at the Outpost forum, and it was answered adequately. You should not post the same question across multiple forums.

But fwiw, I have always considered ver 2.7 to be "The dog's bollocks" for an older, light firewall. It is one of Agnitum's finest releases, imo. However, ver 4.0 is also excellent, but it will run a bit "heavier" than 2.7, even with only the plug-ins you mention enabled.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2008
  7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes thanks
    i did post 1 threat in the outpost forum
    but the outpost is few populated
    so i came here , there are many users :D

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks

9. nmaynan

nmaynan Registered Member

2.7 was rock solid on my system. I tried to install 4.0 and had nothing but blue screens etc. Later I tried to install the 2008 version. It installed, but lockups and hangs were frequent. Plus the new design didn't appeal to me as much as the older ones. I ended up dumping Outpost for Online Armor. I've ended up liking OA better than the old Outpost versions.

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks but outpost 2.7 has not the ability to download rules pre made , and this is useful :D

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The built-in preset rules give you most of the rules you'll need. 2.7 also allows you to edit the preset.lst to create your own or modify what you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.