Outpost 3.5 any issues left?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mercurie, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow OutPost Creatures,
    Does anyone know of any unresolved issues on the new OutPost 3.5.

There was some buzz earlier about rule creation can not locate that thread quickly, but also some concerns in the Feb 16 thread "3.5 coming out next week" thread.

I am still running 3.0557. Want to hold to that one until things are good. Getting ready to load up the BoClean version 4.21. Anybody running 3.5 with 4.21 (OutPost and BoClean) together yet.

Seems like I remember even Paranoid making a negative comment about the new version of OutPost. :doubt:

Seeking opinions from all OutPost 3.5 users. ;)

Thanks. :)

2. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hi mercurie,

Have you tried accessing their user forums, to see what has been said recently?

(located here)

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/

I know that as of just a day or so ago, many people were still upset, complaining, and had either switched their firewall or were planning to....so unless something major has been released in the last 24 hours or so (which from reading some of the thread titles, I don't believe it has) I wouldn't think much has changed as of yet.

I'm interested to see what happens with 3.5 myself......

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Paranoid has retracted his statement after the update on Feb 14. The MD5 hashes were not being checked correctly and Agnitum issued an update and a statement about it. Outpost is still a secure firewall and will continue to be. The largest problem I see is that OP used to allow endless tweaking to get your system the way you wanted it, now with the switch to Improvenet and auto rule creation some people are not liking the loss of control and the perceived weakened security. All of the automatic stuff can be disabled but, Agnitum is trying to increase their customer base by allowing a greater number of people to use their product safely. I think it is a smart move but the change has hardcore users in an uproar. This thread from the OP Forum provides the best overview of what has transpired. Pay particular attention to Reviewers posts especially post #10. Hope this helps. I wonder if NOD will go through a similar problem when/if they simplify the options, will all of us older users complain about the loss of control? I hope not.

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16551

4. mercurie

JRCATES,
    Thanks for your timely reply. I do not go there much though I am a member. I did at your suggestion. No ringing endorsements and some have issues. With the current version working fine and being behind a Router firewall too I'll stay with the old....I'll still wait......

Hope to see more replies from those who have it or had it. *puppy*

5. mercurie

Thanks FLY. I was posting while you were. I will go to your link it may be one I have not seen. I am not "hardcore" I do allow Out Post to guide me using some common sense and the knowledge I do have. Unless there are truely problems I will be o.k. and not complain of the loss of control like the "hardcore."

Yes, product must suit the mass taste in order to get more business that makes since to me. Just do not want to see them load it with a sub par AV. ;)

No wonder I could not find Paranoid's post :oops:

Edit: Indeed I had not read that on my earlier vist today. Thanks FLY.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Watching the development of Outpost this past year, it does seem like they are trying hard to compete with ZoneAlarm Pro. ZAP first had the anti-spyware features and shortly thereafter Outpost added similar features. Then ZAP had the AlertAdvisor and auto app approval related stuff, now Outpost does the same. I don't blame them for attempting to compete with the largest player in the software firewall market, that's just good business. But it will no doubt alienate some folks who have been Outpost followers since the 2.0 days. Hopefully they will always allow the user to turn off any unwanted features and keep it a lean and functional firewall at the core.

7. flyrfan111

Yes, something along the lines of a basic and advanced settings GUI might do the trick. Similar to suggestions in the NOD future changes thread might do the trick

8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

As others have pointed out the initial build of 3.5 had a major problem with the auto-rules feature which Agnitum quickly fixed. Auto-rules can be disabled, so aside from that, the other features of 3.5 are quite minor (IMHO) with the only downside being the inability to create your own preset rules (a major problem if you were creating DNS rules for every application but largely irrelevant otherwise). Outpost 3.5 - What to expect does provide a summary of the changes so I would suggest reviewing this if you have not already done so.

9. mercurie

Thanks all for your replies. I installed last night 3.5.641.6214. As stated by Paranoid I see little change in product at least how I use it.

BoClean 4.21.002 and Out Post 3.5 play well together on my system. No problems for those interested in knowing. ;)

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

For those still using 98 OS there is a bug with outpost 3.5 using 90% and above continual cpu usage.Thats with all plugins removed ,and use of just the firewall.
    ellison

11. flyrfan111

12. mercurie

:eek: Looking at those results if I were making a decision based on that test alone, why on earth would I want to pay for ZoneAlarm Pro! Norton or any of those other pay firewalls. Maybe it's just me and my lack of knowledge, but I need to rely on such tests to help guide me.

13. flyrfan111

ZAP only scored a 1/2 point below Outpost and LnS and Norton a point below them so they aren't too bad either. ZAP did stop one of the breakout tests which no other firewall could do. ZAP is a good firewall security wise. My problem with it relates to memory leaks and it's habit of not remembering settings during shutdown as well as code bloat and some other instabilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.