Outpost 2009 packet drop problem

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by pandlouk, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi guys,

I have a problem with OSS 2009. Similar to OPFW 2009 and Internet Download Manager
    Already contacted the support on 17/3/2009 but since they have not provided any solution yet, I thought to post the problem here too just in case someone has a similar problem or an idea about a solution.

When I try to download something with firefox (or with the "download them all" firefox addon) the download starts but after some seconds it stops. It does not happen always but most of the times it does.
    It happens also with other programs (for example when I try to update the list of the usenet servers with newsrover the update cannot complete unless I manually stop it and restart it 3-4 times). Even the windows update stops and it does not reasume the download, unless I disable it and reanable it.
    And the biggest problem is that I cannot troubleshoot it because the logs do not display anything blocked (both IP4/IP6 and lowlevel loging are set to the maximum).

I tried everything, disabled all the components, editing the ini with the settings, manually uninstalled the outpost firewall driver from the network connection settings tab,etc. But still the problem exists.
    Then I manually unloaded one by one the agnitum drivers and I'm sure that this bug is caused by either "afw.sys" or "afwcore.sys" drivers (are responsible for packet filtering).
    Everything else browsing, voip, vpn, p2p, works fine. And in virtual machines I cannot replicate it. :( o_O

Anyone else experiences similar problems?
    Any ideas on how to further troubleshoot it?

ps.I could easily find what is going on and report it to agnitum, if I had another computer to use as a gateway, but unfortunatly I don't.

thanks,
    Panagiotis

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

For Firefox check to see: Type about:config in the address bar. Scroll down to xpinstall.enabled. Double click it to change the value from false to true. If it already set for true I would try uninstalling Outpost and do a clean install allowing Outpost to create the rules.

3. pandlouk

Thanks G1111,

- I checked and is not a problem with the firefox and XPInstall.
    -Already done that. It happens even with a fresh install of OSS and having it on learning mode or in allow all mode.

Argh!! It happens even when I use custom allow net rules that override the application rules. :'(
    Probably a bug in the http and ftp filters of the drivers.

Panagiotis

4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

The only other thing I can suggest is post on the Outpost forum. I have been an Outpost user for several years. Outside of some past conflicts with Kaspersky I have not experienced your problem.

5. pandlouk

I had the same thought initially and registered there but the site will not let me post or even edit my account (says something about waiting for activation from the administrators).
    Then I decided to post it here, hoping that someone else besides me and MrGSM has the same problems (it would help identifying the conflict).
    Maybe it has to do with the drivers of my NIC.

Panagiotis

6. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Pandlouk, as far as registering it goes through that
    procedure because of so much spam lately from
    folks with nothing better to do than cause mayhem!
    If you have troubles pm me and I can see what I can do :)

7. pandlouk

Thanks GiddyUp,

I figured that something like that was the reason.
    Sorry for not being able to post earlier but I was away from home for the last month.

I am in contact with agnitum support about this problem, but for the moment the only solutions are:
    1st solution. Modify the "C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Security Suite Pro (or Outpost
    > Firewall Pro)\machine.ini" and change 'EnableContentHandler' to 'FALSE'.
    2nd solution. Or do not modify anything in the 'machine.ini' and instead go to "Settings > Application rules" select the program that gives you the problem (in my case firefox) and 'disable content filtering' for that application.

ps. the support also asked me to test the 'EnableContentProcessing' of the machine.ini and changing it to 'FALSE' but it does not resolve the problem.

Panagiotis

8. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

hi pandlouk
    if u do to the thread u referred to in outpost forum
    u see my post in the second position
    in fact we did many many threads in the outpost forum , and sent alot of mails to the agnitum support

the problem is that they completely deny the presence of any bug in the content filtering

when u are downloading using the download manager , u feel as if the download is throttled by the content filtering , the speed counters of IDM freeze frequently for asecond
    i remeber once i downloaded a movie 700 mb then a found the file corrupted due to may be dropped packets or whatever bug in the buggy content filtering

after 2 years of sending emails about these bugs in the content filtering , the only response from agintum was that they gave the user an option to deny the installation of content filtering at outpost setup , i know this is an analgesic solution like aspirin , but it's food that they finally realized that many users suffered alot from the content filtering

not to mention the spyware behaviour in downloading the agnitum new even if the user don't like this

many of as know that outpost 2009 is a revloutional product in the firewall software world but unfortunately there is nothing 100% perfect

9. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

the solution is simple by disabling teh content filtering

1- by editing the machine.ini

or

2-set the rule for firefox or any download client to disable content filtering

or

3-from the begining at outpost setup , don't choose to install web control

because the problem is simply due to uncerrectable bugs in the content filtering module of outpost

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.