Outpost 2009 Free or Pro

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Toby75, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I've been testing out Outpost Firewall 2009 Free and really like it. I'm looking for the main differences between the pro and free version. I notice that in the pro version there is an antispyware plugin that monitors apps. Would this be worth it or can I set the free version to cover this?

Thanks in advance,
    Toby

2. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

anyone?

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

For me the web control - is worth upgrading

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It depends what you need, such as the Web control, Anti-spyware and Identity protection, especially if you place a high value on vendor support, because the free version is unsupported by Agnitum. If funds are really tight, then that obviously plays a part in the decision.

No, Anti-spyware plug-in helps detect against spyware, but the Host protection - which the free version has - monitors apps on your machine.

The main differences between the two versions can be seen here.

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Members,

Off topic post removed.

The OP asked a specific question, keep to topic title.

- Stem

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I think the "Outpost Personal Product comparison" does not give enough info to show the extra benefits of the pro version. It does not show the "Attack plugin" or the "Blocklists" as simple examples.

If you like the free version, then you should download and try the "Pro" version. It is also currently on a "Lifetime license" offer.

- Stem

8. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Current free version has logging so difficult to read that it seems worth the money to go Pro or ditch it. Old, old, ancient versions had logging which was helpful in debugging. This one reguires patience and a phd in log reading. Simply put, the log viewer module is missing. For me that was enough to drop it, wonderful as this FW seems to be.

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Excellent point, Stem. Agnitum really needs to list everything the free version lacks over the full version., otherwise users - like myself :mad: - are going to be mislead into believing it offers more than it really does.

10. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Thanks for all of your responses. I went ahead and bought the lifetime pro version.

Thanks again,

Toby

11. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Toby, welcome to the crew and you wont be disappointed :thumb:

12. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Anyone know how to disable file sharing in Outpost Pro?

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Toby,

Go into the Lan settings and disable/untick the netbios.

02.jpg

- Stem

14. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Thank You Stem,

I have already done this but when I go into the network sharing center it reports that file sharing is turned on. Any ideas?

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi,

I know there have been some problems with firewalls integration with Vista Network center. Are netbios packets still being allowed out, or are they being logged as blocked in OP?

- Stem

16. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Hi Stem,

How do I check this?

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Toby,

Have a look in the firewall logs for "Blocked netbios".

- Stem

18. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

OK Thank You

19. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Just post back if still unsure. I do have an image of Vista, but at the moment due to the installation size of the OS and I currently only have this backup on external USB, it currently takes an hour to restore (I need to install another HD on that PC for backups/image), But can do this to check what is happening with OP and Vista if needed.

- Stem

20. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Man I really don't know much about firewalls - I have a bunch of questions if you wouldn't mind helping.

I'm currently sharing my internet connection with a neighbor (yes, legally...I pay half the bill). Although I am friends with him, I still do not want him accessing my computer through the network. Last night, Outpost through up an alert telling me that he was trying to make a connection with my computer. Although I'm sure he wasn't trying to do any harm...I wanna make sure that he cannot access my computer.

Can you tell me everything I need to do in order to accomplish this? Would I have to disable file sharing? Block svchost from certain UDP connections? (when he tried to connect, svchost was trying to make a UDP connection.)

Right now, I have deleted all applications and known file types (under host protection) -- I'm starting from scratch. -- Do I need to set any rules first?

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  21. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Just follow the screenshot in Stem's post #13. That will block connection attempts from remote machines. If you are using Vista, which it seems you are, check out this on how to disable file sharing.

22. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

23. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

24. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I already had done Stem's post #13 but the network and sharing center in Vista report that file sharing is turned on. (as I stated above)

25. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi Toby,

understood, but Sharing Center is a completely separate entity from Outpost; it is part of Vista's network settings. Did you check the link I included in my last post? It explains how to disable file sharing in Vista. Actually, even with it enabled as long as you block NetBIOS in Outpost as per Stem's advice, no one should be able connect to your machine, but I would disable it in Vista if you don't want to share files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.