Outpost 2.7 & BSOD

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Syncman9, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been raised before.

I've been trialing out Outpost 2.7, and I was so far pretty impressed with it. Except for one major problem, BSOD. At least 3 times since install it, my system has locked up and died with a BSOD due to the firewall.

I've been forced to uninstall it. Anyone else had this problem? or have the slightest idea what causes it.

Thanks in advance,

Sync.

2. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

which antivirus do u use?

3. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I found that
    disabling XP's DEP
    and Outposts - Plugin - DNS - Remove
    Did the trick for me.

THe antiVirus used can also cause problems - I use F-secure Anti-Virus this has known problems but can work just fine.

4. Syncman9

I use NOD32,

I may try it again, disabling the DNS module and DEP.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i never had a bsod with DEP enabled and the dns plugin enabled. yet again every system is different and outpost is known for BSODs.

6. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

Did you have any other firewall software prior to installing Outpost? One thing I notice, it everytime I uninstall one and install the other software, there's still some file left over from the other firewall, like the driver file.......

Stick to one product and you be ok. Also Outpost could not the the reason why there is a Bluee Screen, could be a bad video driver........

I am a fan of Outpost and try so many like Tiny Firewall 2005, Norton, Zone Alarm......... and NONE will compare to what Outpost offer...

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

While I pretty much agree with what you are saying this kills the concept of trialing, which is recommended by many here to see what works best for them on their system. I prefer to do research and decide, while the concept of trialing is good it has it's draw backs. :doubt:

8. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What I have found indispensable here is to do a fresh reformat and reinstall of Windows, and then when you have everything installed except your firewall, do an image of your HD. I started doing this a month or two ago, and it's the best thing I've ever done. I can trial any firewall or software, and when I'm done, just restore my system from the image in 10 minutes, as if nothing ever changed or happened. It's truly great. Makes it easy to try various firewalls without wondering if something was left behind by the uninstall of one or another of them.

I use Drive Snapshot, as recommended some time back by P2k. Works very well. Here's a link: http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

10. WSFuser

same here except i use acronis true image. imaging ur hard drive is also handy for troubleshooting (if the probem is software specific) just install one at a time and image until u find the culprit.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, it's great.. I only wish I had started doing this a year or so ago.. :)

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

DEP issues with Outpost should have been fixed with version 2.5 so if you have a problem that is definitely DEP-related (i.e. following the steps in Windows XP SP2 and Outpost to disable DEP solves it and re-enabling DEP causes it to resurface) then please report this to Agnitum.

Conflicts with other firewalls or network-level software (e.g. port monitors, packet sniffers, VPN software or network diagnostic tools) are a more likely cause of BSODs with the current version (2.7) of Outpost. If applicable, try disabling such programs. Other firewalls need to be uninstalled - ZoneAlarm has been noted to require extra steps however, see Extended Zone Alarm Uninstall/Outpost Install Instructions.

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Ah yes. I think that would work nicely. Good reply. I will check them out sometime soon. ;)

14. Syncman9

Ok, well I've given it a second shot although I can't disable WEP. I've disabled the DNS Link and removed protowall (just in case).
    I'll post back if it fails again.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Cheers,

Sync.

15. WSFuser

u mean DEP right? cuz WEP is for wireless networks. neways heres a thread on disabling DEP, however instead of changing the value to "/Execute" it should be "/NoExecute=AlwaysOff"). also have u tried just adding outpost.exe to teh DEP exclusion list?

16. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

17. Syncman9

Hi,

Yes DEP, not WEP as I said previously. I was replying to a post on wireless security on my local ISP forum and I'd got my wires crossed.

Well disabling the DNS plugin, and removing protowall seems to have done the trick, no BSOD so far. I'll have to try adding back protowall and see if it stays stable.

Thanks for all the help so far.

18. WSFuser

if its not stable with protowall, as an alternative also consider peerguardian or the blockpost plugin for outpost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.