Outlook vs T-Bird

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Currently I'm using Outlook 2002 + InBoxer for spam, sometimes InBoxer gets a little forgetful & once in awhile Outlook gets temper mental.

Besides this one are there advantages to using T-Bird.

I would like to update to Office 2007 for students & teachers, but this does not contain outlook.

Other reasons to switch & any recommended, "add-ons for T-bird?

Thanks & Take Care
    Rico

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

The ThunderBayes addon is a good spam filter for Thunderbird. Stronger than the builtin junk filtering I think.

5. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Hi

first of all, OneNote is a software wich is used for taking notes, for example, at a meeting, or at class... yo can take notes with the keyboard, make drawings with the mouse, etc... and then you can move this separete items to different places in the screen... Almost like a real pen and paper.

Now, back on topic... T-bird is great. I like it better than Outlook for handling my mail, but Outlook has the advantage that its integrated with calendar and tasks. I syncronize my laptop with a PDA, so I really need Outlook. Sadly I haven't found a good alternative.
    If you only need mail, try T-bird. If you use calendar and tasks, try Sunbird (only calendar, not mail). Almost like a "layered approach" LOL. For syncronizing with a mobile device, I'm better of with Outlook.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have Office 2007 Enterprise Edition and "One Note" is something I have never used. But if a person makes/keeps/shares lots of notes I could see where it could be pretty handy. I also had Office 2003 Professional Edition and the upgrade to 2007 seems more hype than anything else. There really does not seem to be much of a change. But I like the 2007 Outlook better than the 2003 version.

I have tried T-Bird and it is nice and all. But it is a ways from Outlook. And the spam filter in Outlook is actually pretty good as M$ updates them about once a month or so. If it were me, which of course it is not, I would not go with Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student for $125. I would replace One Note with Outlook (the other three programs are the same) and get Microsoft Office Standard 2007 for about the same price.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Off...7961?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1192335909&sr=1-2

Back to T-bird- when I had it I added the lightening calendar. It seemed to fit right in with T-bird. Also, thunderbrowse was added as you can open a link in any email you get and you will go straight into thunderbrowse, which is FWIU a slimmed down firefox browser. Also, under options->network and disk space, be sure and check "compact folders when it will save over xxx kb" (250 is a good number). Otherwise T-bird can become sluggish.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I like to store my emails and email-address-book on my data partition, not on my system partition, because I don't like to lose them, when my system partition is corrupted and needs to be restored.
    Thunderbird offers me an easy way to do this separation.

Thunderbird also opens any email in text-mode, which is the safest way to open and read emails.
    I never open spam-emails, because the function "open" can be used as a trigger to do something evil according my readings.
    Why would I waste my time on reading spam-emails anyway ? They only cause problems and infections.
    I only have to close Thunderbird and my Trash/Junk folder is empty, Thunderbird has a nice option to make that possible.

Thunderbird is also simpler regarding setup and usage and faster than Outlook.
    Besides, Outlook is a MS Application and those are always mediocre compared with 3th party softwares.

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

We use Outlook 2003 at work. For me, Outlook didn't exist until Outlook 2003. I distinctly disliked any version prior to that. That said, at home I use T-Bird. Nice interface, easy to use. Lots of extensions to try out... :)

10. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

It's easier in Outlook. You only need to move one .pst file and tell Outlook where it is.

I think Outlook has the advantage over Thunderbird simply because it has much more than just e-mail (calendar, notes etc). You can also use Outlook forms to create simple databases to store information.

11. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I agree that Thunderbird is easier to set up and use than outlook, or other email clients I have come across (kmail, evolution).

I
    The lightning extension mentioned earlier is the Sunbird calendar. It integrates completely into Thunderbird.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would go with Office 2003 and Outlook, and would take Outlook any day over TBird, it's just all around more polished and better. I use Outlook 2003 in my Xp setup, and TBird in Linux because I have no other choice at the moment. But for Win, I recommend sticking with Outlook if possible. Just my personal favorite, have used it for ages and never regretted it.

13. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I've used Thunderbird for years, other than being forced to use Outlook on employer's systems, and prefer Thunderbird.

14. Long View

Long View Registered Member

As SpikeyB says in post #10 all you have to do is move the pst from c: to another drive. But it gets better than that. You can create as many *.pst files as you like allowing for intelligent archiving. Outlook can also open in text mode so no problem there. If Thunderbird is faster I will have to try it. Outlook does take 1.95 seconds to open which I agree is a bit of a pain.

A final benefit that I find with outlook is the ability to drag and drop mail to the desktop and then move the Paperport www.nuance.com . I am then able to use that e-mail for further communication - in addition to having the mail filed with other client files. I have been unable to find any other e-mail program that will allow me to do this.

I am no fan of MS but in my Business Outlook gets used all the time. Upon Reflection I would have to say that of all the MS Programs ( many of which are mediocre) Outlook is probably the best.

Perhaps its main weakness is it's flexibility and complexity ? It does require a certain degree of effort to find some of the jewels below the surface.

15. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I looked for Students & Teachers 2003, which has 'Outlook', but it's more expensive than S&T 2007 that does not include 'Outlook.' My 'Outlook' is from 2002. I'll be back

Thanks
    Rico

16. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Never used Tbird but did use Outlook 2003. The only thing that I hated about Outlook was was not able to easily customize reply templates that could easily be manipulated to auto answer mail with original message quoted. You could buy some addons that tried to do this integrated into outlook rules but some of these addons were quite expensive. This is probably the only reason I do not use Outlook now.

Gary

17. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Tbird does my email now, much better than Outlook 2002 IMHO. Also sent InBoxer to the bit bucket, now just getting used to it.

Thanks & Take Care
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.