Outlook send/receive stops functioning

Discussion in 'NOD32 Early v2 Beta' started by Mike H, May 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike H

Mike H Guest

Using XP Pro, Office XP with Beta 5 (and previous betas)

On startup, everything is fine, but after a while the Send/Receive function in Outlook will stop working (times out). If you close Outlook and check Task Manager, there will still be an instance of Outlook running. If you close that task, then send and receive will work again for a time, but eventually the problem will repeat.

Not sure if it makes and difference, but also using PocketPC and ActiveSync 3.7. I have tried all of the setup options with the same results. Does not happen with NOD 1.0 of any other anti-virus I have tried. I have updated and tried fresh install, reformatted my hard drive, and consistently have the same results.

2. dave s

dave s Registered Member

Having the same problems here with clean install of XP Pro, Outlook 2002, NOD32 Beta 5 (and earlier betas). Outlook hangs with task manager showing an instance of Outlook.exe still running (and pegging my PIII at 99% usage) even after closing Outlook. I must end the task "Outlook.exe" manually with task manager to stop this process.

I'm experiencing this after numerous clean installs (OS) myself. Running the OS with any RTM-version of NOD (or uninstalling NOD Beta) eliminates the problem. FWIW...running (or not running) other 3rd-party software (usually Adobe, ZAFree or Kerio Personal Firewall or KPF betas in conjunction with NOD Betas) doesn't appear to affect the problem one way or another.

Just a slight aggravation (for me).... though I'm sure Jan/NOD needs to know in case it leads to more serious conflicts in another installation.

regards,

Dave

P.S. Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q811493 not allowed on my machines ;-)

3. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

> Having the same problems here with clean install of XP Pro, Outlook 2002, NOD32 Beta 5 (and earlier betas). Outlook hangs with task manager showing an instance of Outlook.exe still running (and pegging my PIII at 99% usage) even after closing Outlook. I must end the task "Outlook.exe" manually with task manager to stop this process.

> I'm experiencing this after numerous clean installs (OS) myself. Running the OS with any RTM-version of NOD (or uninstalling NOD Beta) eliminates the problem. FWIW...running (or not running) other 3rd-party software (usually Adobe, ZAFree or Kerio Personal Firewall or KPF betas in conjunction with NOD Betas) doesn't appear to affect the problem one way or another.

> Just a slight aggravation (for me).... though I'm sure Jan/NOD needs to know in case it leads to more serious conflicts in another installation.

We're running Beta5 on several machines here with Outlook Express (I don't like Outlook myself) with no problems, so I guess the problem you're having is related to Outlook. However, many Eset machines do run Outlook flawlessly.

Almost infinite variations in the combination of hardware/firmware/software makes it virtually impossible to ensure program compatibility with every machine in the world, and even if you have a badly-behaving machine in front of you, you may never be able to figure out the specific cause of the problem ... in some cases, you just won't live that long :) ... but be assured that our developers will try their best to solve this one, as always.

The more information you can provide about your setup, the better. beta@eset.sk is the place to send it ... but also posting it here probably won't hurt.

=====

I read somewhere a while back that with all the possible permutations of Microsoft service packs/updates/patches coupled with the staggering number of possible combinations of hardware/firmware/software, you could build over 800 BILLION Windows XP machines which, on the surface, looked identical, but no two would be alike.

Kinda makes you wonder how support desks ever manage to solve anything. :)

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

>> you could build over 800 BILLION Windows XP machines which, on the surface, looked identical, but no two would be alike.

Wow! Imagine if Bill Gates had just a nickel for everyone of those machines... Wait a sec, he does! :eek: :D

5. rodzilla

>> you could build over 800 BILLION Windows XP machines which, on the surface, looked identical, but no two would be alike.

> Wow! Imagine if Bill Gates had just a nickel for everyone of those machines... Wait a sec, he does! :eek: :D

BoomBoom! :)

6. dave s

dave s Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply Rod! Personally, if all future builds of NOD reacted in the same fashion with my machines...I'd ditch the machines--not NOD. I guess I just "lucked-out" with this problem on one of my machines...kind of like the Windows security patch I mentioned (except the Windows patch affected ALL of my PCs).

best regards,

Dave

7. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi Mike and dave,

>On startup, everything is fine, but after a while the Send/Receive function in Outlook will stop working (times out). If you close Outlook and check Task Manager, there will still be an instance of Outlook running. If you close that task, then send and receive will work again for a time, but eventually the problem will repeat.

Well to tell the truth, this used to happen to me too (also without NOD) - usually when a big (or a nonstandard) mail was being received, :) but I don't know if this is the case. I think Outlook has bigger "receving problems" than Outlook Express.

Thanks,

jan

8. dave s

dave s Registered Member

Exactly Jan...Sometimes restarting Outlook after a "beta moment" causes Outlook to restart in safe-mode (which doesn't seem to cause any lasting problems though). I've just had some luck with disabling Outlook's "schedule an automatic send/receive every X minutes" and "perform an automatic send/receive when exiting". No hangs or instances of outlook.exe still running after closing Outlook (at least for the last hour). I'll keep these settings disabled and report further results in a few days.

Same here though it was infrequent and only with large incoming/outgoing files or html-coded in my case. The problem I'm experiencing at the moment happens with nothing incoming/outgoing *and*with incoming/outgoing mail. (No rhyme or reason other than NOD Beta in other words).

No biggie...if it can't be resolved, I'll switch back to OE and just use the calender and task features of Outlook2002. No way I'll give up NOD!

best regards,

dave

9. SIFMike

SIFMike Registered Member

I have never used the automatic send and receive, and continue to get the problem, so that's not it for me.

I have loaded and unloaded everything I can think of and the only thing that consistently shows the Outlook XP problem is NOD v2.

Sometimes it seems to pop up after the screen saver kicks in, but that is not consistent. Sometimes it seems to happen after connecting or disconnecting my PocketPC, but that is not consistent either. I'm using a laptop and regularly connect from home and work, but it doesn't seem to make any difference how I connect to the internet.

10. rodzilla

>I think Outlook has bigger "receving problems" than Outlook Express.

Some years ago, while discussing another browser with a high-priced professional system troubleshooter who had just about every computer degree and certificate known to man (I know this is probably hard to believe, but he was even older than I am) :) he said "Outlook Express is an integral part of the operating system, and it's the only email browser worth a damn. Microsoft can't properly integrate their own Outlook with their operating systems, so what chance does BrandX have ?"

I guess he was right. There are squillions of complaints about various email browsers on the Internet, including Outlook ... but not many about Outlook Express.

OE is a workhorse ... nothing fancy ... no bells and whistles ... but it does the job without any fuss ... and since Microsoft implemented (eight years too late) the ability to block HTML on incoming email, it does the job better than ever.

11. dave s

dave s Registered Member

You know...I do have this big-a** Dry-Erase Monthly Planner next to my PC...and I do hate those damn Outlook task reminders....

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.