Outlook Express Slow To Load

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kas, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

I have searched the forums, but got nowhere on this. It surprises me, since the net reveals that it is a common problem with no precise solution.
    Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

It is a very simple problem.

For a while now, my Outlook Express has taken a long time to load up when needed. Perhaps around 1.1/2 to 2 minutes.

I know it should load quickly, but do not know why it is so sluggish.
    Comments please from any genius out there would help me enormously and also others with the same problem.

I am using Windows XP Home and it is automatically updated and Outlook Express 6 (6.00.2900.5512). Also IE7, also updated.
    :argh:

2. philby

philby Registered Member

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Could be a problem if your message base is quite large and you have a lot of deleted items in it. You might try compacting it and see if that helps. And then there is always the possibility of message base corruption as well, which could cause problems.

4. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Thanks for the link philby...Outlook Express on my older XP desktop now opens in a second. Hopefully now my wife will stop complaining to me about how long it took.

5. Kas

Kas Registered Member

It`s me again.
    I checked REGEDIT, double clicked on the DEFAULT (rt.panel) and when the panel came up, it was all blank.
    I cannot find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID at all. No clue and not a mention.
    Have I got one ? If so, where is it ?

So far, although Mr.Magik`s solution has obviously worked for some, I cannot get beyond REGEDIT. Nice panel though. Any offers as to where these illusive HKEY files are that Mr.Magik states ?
    :thumbd:

6. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Kas, it doesn't sound like you expanded HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. You then need to scroll down and find CLSID, and expand that. Then scroll down to find the two keys listed in the forum post.

7. Kas

Kas Registered Member

PLEASE ! I have scrolled down until I felt I`m getting older, BUT I simply cannot find these files. Larry on the other forum gave this data ;-
    Larry
    Administrator
    Master

In regedit click Edit, Find, check all checkboxes and search with {FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541}. Click the + to expand the folder.

Quite frankly, I don`t know what it means. Unless some explanation is given, it means nothing.

I JUST CANNOT FIND HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID.

help !

8. philby

philby Registered Member

Run > regedit > edit > find > paste FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541

(Make sure all reg. trees are all collapsed rather than expanded before you search)

You are now way down deep in CLSID.

Double click on the above FB..... that should now be highlighted in the left pane and you will find InProcServer32 and localserver32.

You can now continue as per Magik's fix.

Hope this helps

philby

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  9. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Hello Cloudcroft and Philby - thanks for your explanations and patience.

Right !
    I did all the expanding and finding. I got the file and location etc., did the clicking and got these items listed in DEFAULT ;-

Note - the data is the same with Windows Messenger running or disabled.
    I have it running at present.

ProcServer32 = C:\Program Files\Messenger\msgsc.dll
    LocalServer32 = C:\Program files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

Do I delete this data and leave DEFAULT blank ?

If so, how will these defaults be automatically regenerated IF they are needed by some lurking predatory creepy-crawly or later on by the Windows messenger system ?
    :thumb:

10. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hi Kay, May I suggest - before you go any further, backup all the .dbx files to another partition or an external hard drive. These dbx files are the OE databases. If something is going wrong with them - you'll safely have all of your messages backed up for another try at recovery before they get any worse.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Kas, have you tried compacting your email folders via File > Folder > Compact All Folders?

It is vital that the compacting folders process is not interrupted while running, otherwise corruption can occur. You can also compact them via Tools > Options > Maintenance tab > Clean Up Now button > Compact button.

12. Kas

Kas Registered Member

It is now 18 March 09 and my OE still takes forever to load.
    As one of the replies suggested, the following piece of mischief by Mr.Majik
    is supposed to exorcise the evil spirit. Mr.Majik has now disappeared off radar, perhaps it exorcised him as well.

Has anybody some real technical explanation as to whether this action is OK ?
    I would not try it unless I could recover what was deleted.
    Can OE operate with blanks in these DEFAULT fields ?

Mr.Majik`s remedy follows ;- NOTE THE DATE !
    =============
    Re:Outlook Express SLOW at loading
    « Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 05:59:09 am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi People...Name is Phil and i am noob (5 minutes) to the forum.

Not sure if this problem ever got solved BUT in case it did not
    and also for future reference here is a fix.

Here is the reason and the fix.........

Sometimes removing or disabling Windows (or MSN) Messenger causes OE to open slowly. This will be shown by an entry in the system error log:

The server {FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

To fix this, open Regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    \CLSID
    \{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}
    \InProcServer32

In the right-hand pane, double-click on the (Default) value and delete whatever is entered there, leaving it blank. Click OK. Now perform exactly the same step with the key directly underneath, namely

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    \CLSID
    \{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}
    \LocalServer32

Once both (Default) values are empty, OE will open normally

I hope this fix makes a few people happy

Phil-Magik
    ==========

Comments please.
    KAS

13. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Have used on my rig and works a treat. OE load is very much quicker. :thumb:

PS. But take a backup of the Registry before you tweak! :D

14. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Hello, it`s me again.

I HAD "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" unchecked.
    God it takes ages for OE to load, which gave rise to my thread.

This is because by effectively disabling WM and leaving the default servers entered in ProcServer32 and LocalServer32, an entry is made in the system error log. These servers did not register with DCOM within the required timeout and we grow older waiting.

Latest ;- 23 March 09

1) I checked the Auto log on to WM and WOW ! OE now loads like lightening.

I do not know what Windows Messenger really is and furthermore don`t care, but so long as I get no problems in having it and my OE is fixed - great. Problem solved.

IF I get any nuisance factors with WM, I will uncheck the Auto log on and go for Mr.Magik`s fix.

2) I am absolutely certain now that Mr.Magik`s solution will work fine when the WM box is unchecked, without any problems.

By deleting the default servers in ProcServer32 and LocalServer32, leaving only blanks, OE/Windows will not then try to find the default servers, thereby slowing OE down to a snails pace. It will find only blanks and Whiz ! open up - like Magik !
    KAS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.