Outlook Express & Firefox problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firebytes, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

My father reports that clicking a hyperlink in a received email on his computer (XP) has just began opening a blank page in Firefox instead of the intended website. He can copy and paste the link directly into the Firefox address bar and the page will open normally. He reset IE back as his default browser temporarily as a test and then clicked on an email link and the site opened in IE fine. He reports that he has made no system changes lately other than updating FF. The only thing I could think of is that possibly when he updated Firefox to version 3.0.6 that something got corrupted. He is planning on reinstalling FF tomorrow night to see if that helps but I thought I would see if anyone here has any insight into this problem. Uninstalling FF and reinstalling it won't be any big deal. He is even planning on doing it under Returnil's protection so if it doesn't help he can go back to just the way everything was before. I just thought I would see if someone here knew of any other possible causes so if a reinstall doesn't help he will have some other things to try.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Have you tried turning firefox addons off as a test?

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

See if this works for the links in Outlook Express.

Start Internet Explorer
    Select the Tools > Internet Options menu
    Select the [Programs] tab
    Look for a checkbox labelled "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser"
    If this checkbox is not ticked, then this could be the cause of the problem, so tick it!
    Click OK

Re-open Outlook Express and try a link

4. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

@ stapp he doesn't have any add-ons

@ Franklin as I said in my first post he already tried making IE his default browser temporarily as a test for the OE problem and the links worked fine through IE. However he does not want IE as his default browser. He wants his links in OE to work through Firefox as they always did before and as they still do in both of my systems.

It seems no one else has any input on this. I will post back if a Firefox reinstall fixes his problem in case anyone else has this problem in the future.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.