Outlook email question

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Acadia, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

We all know not to use the Preview Pane in MS Outlook when scanning our email. But what about the AutoPreview? Is that safe to use or also a no-no like the Preview Pane? Thank you.

Acadia

2. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Not to hijack this thread, but if you're viewing emails in plain text, without html formatting, do you need to disable the preview pane?

3. steverio

steverio Registered Member

Check out a "SlipStick" newsletter and see how the Outlook Preview Pane is safer than many think.

Preview Pane Safety

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, I'm using Outlook 2000 on a Win2000 system, so I'm still not sure about the safety. o_O

Acadia

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

As far as I know you can't read incoming HTML emails in plain text format in MS Outlook.
    Outgoing emails can be written in plain text.

This freeware however gives you the opportunity to read your incoming HTML emails in text format.
    http://www.xintercept.com/pkpeek.htm
    It's a MS Outlook add-in.
    Try it, if you don't like it, you can always uninstall it.

Disabling Preview Pane is also good to avoid any click on the contents, but you still can open the email in HTML format.

I IGNORE and DELETE ALL my spam-emails without even looking at them.
    Even opening a spam-email can be dangerous according my readings.
    I never saw a good spam-email, they all want my money or want to infect my computer. I can live without them.

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, I also always delete spam without looking and I have never used any of the Preview Panes. I am posting this for some folks where I work. There are 42 of us and we all have Outlook 2000 on Win2000 machines. Folks around here are afraid to ask our IT folks (afraid they'll get yelled at) so they come to me (I just call them names :D ).

Acadia

7. steverio

steverio Registered Member

Outlook 2000 - Just for reading...

Taken from
    Outlook 2000 - E-mail Security Update

Outlook and HTML Mail
    The security update puts Outlook into the "restricted zone" by default. If you open an e-mail message that is in Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) format, and the HTML contains script, the script runs within the context of the Internet security settings.

NOTE: This is one difference between Outlook 98 and Outlook 2000. When you use Outlook 98, active content runs as long as security settings are set adequately low. With the Outlook E-mail Security Update installed, Outlook 2000 completely disables script in HTML e-mail messages, regardless of the Internet security settings.

Taken from
    Outlook 2000 - Scripts Embedded in HTML Messages

How to Change the Security Zone Settings to not Allow Active Scripting

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

steverio, and everyone else, thank you.

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.