Outlook 2010 audio

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chattycathy, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

I am moving from Windows Live Mail to Microsoft Outlook 2010. I have imported my messages from Live Mail to Outlook but the messages that have audio attachments playing in the background do not work. I have no audio and the animated messages don't work either. Plus, these same messages have embedded pictures but there isn't anything showing but x's. I have checked settings, etc. but I can't find anything to change. These messages work as they should in Live Mail, etc. The audio attachments have a .mid extension. I clicked on preview and it tells me I don't have anything to preview it with. Does anyone have a clue on how to fix this? Thanks for your time.

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I cant help you with the audio as I have never received an email with embedded audio before, but the pictures are blocked by default in Outlook 2010. You can set outlook to display them by default. When you open the email, on the reading pane, you will see a thin strip with a blue exclamation mark telling you that the "pictures are blocked for your protection click here to download them." left click will download the pictures for this mail only, but if you right click on the strip it will give you further options, one of them is for changing the default picture display setting. I am sure the audio settings will be somewhere there too.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi CC

I get all my voicemails by email attachment, and even run it through Sandboxie. You should open the email and the double click the attachments.

I assume you have something set up so if you double click a mid file it can be played.

Pete

4. chattycathy

The mid files will play if I open the message in either Outlook Express OR Windows Live Mail. But, after I have imported it into Outlook 2010, it doesn't. I can click on the attachment and it will tell me I can't preview it because there is nothing to preview it with. Do I need to set something up in Outlook to do this and if so, how? Thanks for your time.

5. chattycathy

I checked the email for the thin strip with a blue exclamation mark telling you that the "pictures are blocked for your protection but it isn't there. These pictures show as attachments but they don't show in the email. I'll try importing them again and maybe it will show the "blue exclamation mark" this time. In the meantime, any more suggestions? Thanks for your time.

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

That bar is only for the embedded pictures/graphics in the email body. If the pictures and audio files you are talking about were sent as an attachment then the bar will not work on them. Attachments are not loaded by default. You will have to click on the attachment icon to run or view it.

I believe the problem you are facing is that when you imported your mail from windows live mail, the attachments did not go through to outlook. Otherwise outlook is more powerful then windows live mail and if windows live mail could play the audio file then outlook surely can.

7. chattycathy

Ok. Maybe I will eventually get it figured out. Thanks for your time. I really do appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.