Outlook 2010 and wrong received date

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chattycathy, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

Why does Outlook 2010 show my email as being received yesterday? For example, there has been several times that I received several emails at the same time. Some of the dates show as being received yesterday and the others would show them as being received today. My time zone and date on my system is correct. I have just tested Windows Live Mail and Outlook Express and they both show the received date as the current date it IS received which is today and not yesterday. Is there a setting somewhere that needs to be changed and if not, what is causing this? I have looked for it but can't find it and have searched online for information about it but I haven't found anything. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Date received at the email server (your ISP) ?

3. chattycathy

I thought it must be when my internet service received it but how do I change it to when I receive it? I still have Outlook Express AND Windows Live installed. I sent myself messages as a test and received them by using Outlook Express AND Windows Live and they both show the correct dates and time received. This tells me that it is something withing Outlook 2010. Any suggestions on how to change it? Thanks for your time.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I would suspect that Outlook will also display today's date if you receive it today just like OE WLM. Not sure if it can be changed

5. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

There are two places where outlook shows the dates. One is the column, where you see all your email sorted by date and the other is inside the actual email itself. I have noticed that outlook always shows the correct date and time inside the email itself, but the time is usually 5-10 minutes off in the column where emails are sorted by date.

I have no idea why this is but it does not bother me that much. This discrepancy is only in the time not date. So I have never had today's email marked as yesterday.

6. chattycathy

But it doesn't. I have noticed this more than once. The email I received this morning is showing as being received yesterday. I sat here and watched it download today and then it show yesterday's date. I just thought it was strange but I can live with it if I have to. Thanks anyway.

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Check the time zone is correct in Options/Calendar maybe

8. chattycathy

The time zone is set correctly. I was hoping it wasn't but, it is. Thanks anyway!

9. chattycathy

I have just compared the received date that it is showing in the list of emails with the sent date in the actual emails and they are the same dates and time. Each one I opened up showed the exact sent date and time as Outlook shows as when I received them. Outlook is displaying the date the person sent the email to me as the date I received it and that is not true. That explains why some of them will show as being received yesterday and others as today. I apologize for not doing this earlier. Does this give a clue as to what is going on and how to fix it?

10. axial

axial Registered Member

11. chattycathy

Thanks for the link. I'll check into it and see what I can learn. Thanks again!

12. chattycathy

I checked out all of your suggestions but it didn't change anything. I'm still receiving today's email showing as yesterday's sent date. I guess I'll just have to live with it. Thank you everyone for trying.

13. Raza0007

Why don't you uninstall and reinstall outlook? I recall you had an earlier problem with outlook that you could not open music attachment embedded in the emails (Did you ever manage to correct that?), sometime a simple reinstall can correct a lot of annoying things. Also, make sure you are using the latest version of Outlook it should be v14.0.6023.1000 or higher.

14. chattycathy

I had thought about uninstalling and starting over but the idea of getting it customized like I want it has made me put it off. I was hoping there was an easier fix. And, I thought, my luck, I would uninstall and install again and the problems would still be here. :) As for the music in the background, etc., No, I didn't get that fixed. I learned that Outlook doesn't support this or at least that's what I was told. I just click on open in browser and view it that way and it works so that's good enough for me.
    As for using the latest version, I thought I was but my version says it is version 14.0.4760.1000. I click on update and it loads up Microsoft updates but there isn't one for Outlook 2010. Are you using the version you mentioned in your reply? If so, why can't I get that one? Thanks for your suggestions!

15. chattycathy

I guess I've put off uninstalling and installing again long enough. I wouldn't mind it if it was just Outlook but I have Microsoft Office and I was guessing it would do better if I uninstall and start from scratch on all of it. I did download the Office 2010 service pack 1. I am going to try that before I start with uninstalling everything. I will let you know the results when all is done.

16. Raza0007

I believe you are using a very old version of outlook and most likely it is a beta or a RC. It most likely is buggy. Have you ever been able to update it? The beta releases can not be updated and you will not find any updates for it on Microsoft update. You need to download the latest ISO for outlook 2010 or make sure the installer you use is the retail release or the final release. You will be able to update that through microsoft update. Have you installed the service pack 1 for office 2010?

17. chattycathy

I have just installed Service Pack 1 and now it says I am using 14.0.6023.1000 but it still didn't change anything as for my problem. I had to manually download it though because the updates wouldn't show it. I did notice when I clicked on About for the version number, it was telling me I was using a trial version and had only 14 days left but my serial number is there. I did download Outlook 2010 trial version to check it out but later on, I found MS Office 2010 at a good deal and decided to purchase it instead. I thought I had uninstalled the trial version of Outlook but apparently something is still there causing it to think this. It wasn't showing this before the installation of the service pack. Could this be the cause of my problems? If so, is there a way to just uninstall Outlook only without having to uninstall all the applications? If not, I may just put up with it until I have to format and reinstall everything anyway. I appreciate your help and suggestions! Thanks again!!!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  18. Raza0007

You can activate your trial copy by clicking on the change product key option available under the "File>Help" page. Enter the key you got when you purchased office and activate it. But your problem will not go away by activation or SP1 upgrade, as both options preserve your settings. In order to get a fresh copy of Outlook with factory default settings, you need to remove your old copy and install a new one. I know you will have to redo all your customizations, but this process will solve all user created problems.

19. chattycathy

I thought about that also after I made the above post. I am going to uninstall all of it and start from sratch. It may take me a few days because I am only doing it in spare time but when I get it finished, I will post my results whether they are good or bad. As I said earlier, I really do appreciate all of your help and especially your patience with me. I will eventually learn this program. Thanks again for everything!!!

20. chattycathy

Just thought I would update you on how the uninstall and reinstalling went. It didn't change anything. I should have followed my instinct and put up with it but I thought that maybe with uninstalling and starting over, that maybe it would fix the issue of me having to manually update it. But, that didn't change either. I'm forgetting it now but thanks for everything. P.S. As you can tell, I don't give up easily.

21. Raza0007

Outlook does have its quirks but it is a reasonably good email client. I am sure if this date problem was widespread, outlook would have been dumped by businesses long time ago. So, if the clean install did not solve the problem, then the problem could be due to the email server outlook connects to download the email. You did not mention whether you use outlook for hotmail, gmail etc. or you are using your company's own email server. If you are using your company's server then you need to ask a colleague if they are experiencing the same problem with outlook. You can also add a gmail account to your outlook and check if gmail emails also have the same problem. If not then the problem is not with outlook, but due to some setting on the your company's server.

Hope you get this problem solved soon.

22. chattycathy

I am using Outlook for my personal computer use. I am not using gmail nor Hotmail with it but with what was once Bellsouth but AT&T now. I have added a column, create, and removed the Received column which is working now as I wanted it too. Thanks for all of your correspondence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.