Outlook 2003 vs Mozilla Thunderbird

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Trooper, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hey All,

I was just messing around with doing e-mails in both of these applications when I noticed something. And since this is a security forum, I thought what better place to talk about this.

Strictly with everything as default for the most part, I sent some test e-mails from MS Outlook 2003 as well as Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.2.

We will leave compatability and gui to the side for now, but this was something I just now picked up on.

If you send an email from MS Outlook (configured for POP3 Accts) and you look at the headers on the receiving end, you will see that not only does it give your WAN IP but also your machine/server name

Now in Mozilla Thunderbird, (again configured for POP3 Accts) and you look at the headers on the receiving end, it gives out your WAN IP and also your local IP. :eek:

Now I am not sure which is worse speaking from a security standpoint. I know that some ppl tend to give there machine names something like (THERE NAME) while others keep it as the default Windows name etc.

Then there is your local IP addy. Which for the most part is private and non routable over the internet a la 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x

So I guess my question is for all the peeps here. Which do you think is a more secure app? Which information would you rather pass out? Machine name or local ip addy?

Pls discuss. :)

Regards,

Jag

2. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

I hope not to be off the topic, but i propose you to check The Bat! for security reasons.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I will vote for Thunderbird. I sent my self an e-mail from TB to my wilders addy and TB doesn't reveal any info except the to and from e-mail addy anywhere on the mail page. Both accounts are on TB

Attached Files:

4. Trooper

Hi BigC,

If you have a gmail acct, forward an e-mail to it and look at the headers. I will be curious to see what shows up in there.

Or whatever other means you have to look at the headers. What you posted was not what I was speaking about. ;)

And Stephanos, what does The Bat do? Looks like AV and such upon a quick glance, but its late and I am off to bed.

5. bigc73542

here it is from g-mail received from Thunderbird. And what you see is all that is visible except the e-mail option boxes on the bottom of the page. There is no info concerning any IP addys except the to and from info.

Attached Files:

6. bigc73542

here is the whole page

7. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Is not an AV, just The Bat! will warn you when you try to open a suspicious attachment. In addition, unlike some other mail clients, The Bat! does not start any scripts automatically. The Bat! v2 features new plug-in interface for anti-virus programs to check data for viruses only in special occasions like receiving mail or saving attachments. The use of plug-ins saves you from the imperative of utilizing permanently running antiviral monitors that may significantly degrade performance of the computer.

Also: The internal PGP implementation, based on the award-winning OpenSSL lets you encrypt messages and sign them with digital signatures. Handy manager for digital keys included. Free plugins for PGP v5.5, v6.0.2, 6.5, v7.x & v8.x GnuPG is also supported. The Bat! also supports S/MIME via Internal Implementation or Microsoft CryptoAPI. The Bat! is the first e-mail client to support S/MIME compressed data. The Bat! support Secure Socket Layer (SSL) v3.1 / Transport Layer Security (TLS) v1.0 with AES algorithm.

8. Trooper

BigC,

Click on the "show original" link in your Gmail there you posted and then tell me what you see in the received by info.

You should notice your local and wan ip, at least I see it.

I will follow up in the morning as I really need to get some sleep.

Thanks for your efforts with this. :D

Jag

9. bigc73542

I get back to it tomorow also. ;)

10. Trooper

Cool thanks bigc. :)

Let me know your results.

Best Regards,

Jag

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.