Out of Disk Space Problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sn3, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sn3

sn3 Registered Member

Hello,

I have Acronis True Image Home 9.0 and I am having some problems with the backups. I am backing up two drives to a 372 GB drive. It backs up (incremental) every day for the E (189 GB) drive at 12 PM and 12 AM for the C (152 GB) drive. It has been backing up like this for a while. I am not getting this error:
    Disk is full. (0x40004)
    Tag = 0xC4AB60A831327ED2

I thought it would overwrite the older backups once it runs out of disk space? How can I correct this?

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“I thought it would overwrite the older backups once it runs out of disk space?”
    This can only happen when using the Acronis Secure Zone. Since you seem to have a dedicated backup drive, I wouldn’t bother with the ASZ.

There are ways to deal with this, but they all depend on what your requirements are as far as retention cycles for your backups are.

3. TheWeaz

I clipped this from one of my eariler posts:

I have 9 scheduled tasks, all Full images.
    One each for the 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th.
    A Weekly each Sunday.
    Then three more, one each on Mon & Thu, Tue & Fri and Wed & Sat.
    Once these 9 images are created, they just cycle through and get written over.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is not really a very good plan to have one base image and then keep adding incrementals till your storage drive can take no more. Were you to make a restore or even run a verification it would take a long time to complete. There is, as I put it the wobbley ladder syndrome, the more it is extended the more wobbley it gets.
    So you really need to consider how many backup images you actually need and relate this to the storage space you have. You may find that you have enough space for full images to satisfy your needs and this could be scheduled to overwrite the oldest images as you go.
    When it comes to devising backup schedules you will be in good hands with the Weaze unless he decides to go Walk About as does happen around here from time to time [​IMG]

Xpilot

5. TheWeaz

I can think of worse thing than being stuck in the desert with Jenny Agutter!

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Steady now !
    And anyway what about your new friend Elaine from Charlottsville ?

Xpilot

7. sn3

sn3 Registered Member

Thanks! I guess I should set up full backup every 30 days and that should work.

8. sn3

sn3 Registered Member

How do I configure it to allow me to make a full backup in the same job as the incremental backups? Should I be using separate backup jobs?

9. TheWeaz

Usually you would set up one task to run the Full and another (or multiple others) to run the Incs.

10. fastbiker

fastbiker Registered Member

I am having this same issue also, running out of space. I am backing up a slave drive as well as the main drive and have setup 2 tasks. it is set to save the backups to folder on C drive then we copy to external HDD. Reason- HDD is kept offsite.

C drive backup (operating system and some documents maybe 2 GB)
    every Friday at 6am, incremental

E Drive backup (60GB total files)
    every Friday at 8am, incremental

So far I have in my backup folder (64GB total) the following:

C Drive 1 changed 9/5
    C Drive 2 changed 9/5
    C Drive 3 changed 9/15
    C Drive 4 changed 9/22

E drive 1-6 changed 9/5
    E Drive 7-12 changed 9/8
    E Drive 13-16 changed 9/22

What am I doing wrongo_O

11. TheWeaz

"E drive 1-6 changed 9/5
    E Drive 7-12 changed 9/8
    E Drive 13-16 changed 9/22"

You'll need to explain that a little more. I don't understand what you're saying. What does "1-6" stand for and is "changed" the create date?

Remember, if you run an INC and it cannot find the FULL, another FULL will be created.

12. fastbiker

See attached, and the INC is set to point to the full one... o_O

Attached Files:

13. TheWeaz

Which ones are the FULLs? None of my FULLs have a number appended to them. What was the exact name you gave to the FULL image and was the FULL in the same folder as the INC at the time the INC was created?

14. fastbiker

OK I think I'm seeing the problem. Maybe I didnt start out with a full, just an incremental. So I have to have a full in the same folder as the incremental.

Any ideas on how big my image file would be for my drives?

Or maybe I should just do full backups every week, its just they take so damn long. I just want to have an automated process for backups....

Thanks Weaz! :)

15. TheWeaz

If you run a FULL and have given the image file a name of BACKUP, at the end you should have a file named BACKUP.TIB.

If you then run an INC which points to the FULL backup image named BACKUP.TIB, when complete, you will have a new file named BACKUP2.TIB. If TI does not find a file named BACKUP.TIB (the FULL), it will create a FULL instead of an INC. Having never done this, I do not know what the resulting file name would be.

As for the image size, sorry, I have no idea.

16. sn3

sn3 Registered Member

I tried to set up a full backup to run and overwrite the current incremental backups+base but it just says the disk space is full. I guess I have to delete the incrementals and base first?

17. TheWeaz

If you have a FULL .tib named BACKUP.TIB and schedule/run a task to create a FULL with the same name, it should write over the existing BACKUP.TIB file.
    However, if the total size of the new image is too large to fit you would, I assume, get a disk full error. That is, if your current .tib is 10GB and you have 2GB free, if the new image file would be 14GB, you would run out of space.

18. sn3

sn3 Registered Member

So then I should delete the existing backup files?

19. TheWeaz

Does what I posted above apply to you? How big is your original FULL image and how much free space do you have? I can’t/won’t tell you to delete your backups; you’ll need to decide that. :(

20. sn3

sn3 Registered Member

Yes, the files are too big (the full image + extra).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.