Our favorite "forgotten tech"—from BeOS to Zip Drives

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/08/our-favorite-forgotten-tech-from-beos-to-zip-drives/

2. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Well, when I first saw the article, I figured there would be at least one thing that I consider still viable. But no.

I don't get the big deal about that NES. By then the system was pretty much dead (or at least to me it was), and the way those A & B buttons on the controller are angled isn't good. I'll try to describe it as best I can. Some games require you to hold down a button while pressing another, like running fast and jumping in SMB. On the original NES, you'd position your thumb horizontally, so that the tip is on the left button (B), and you could keep it there while rolling it down over A. On the SNES, they'd use the left and bottom buttons (Y and B), and it was even easier to do this since your thumb is in a more natural position. The way that NES controller is angled makes it more difficult, as you have to point your thumb a little towards yourself. It's made to press just one button at a time.

3. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

BeOS isn't all that forgotten! There's an open source successor called Haiku. You can also make XFCE look a lot like BeOS if you mess around enough. :p

4. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

That Omega game was absolutely awesome (you wrote programming for tanks).
    Except my apple lle would always run out of memory, frustrating me to no end.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Interesting article, i only know like half of the hardware mentioned there.
    I guess im too young. :D

6. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

dog (SGI) & netrek... anyone?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.