Ouch... Chromium developers killing precious flags...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Today, I was experiencing some oddities with Chromium. For example, writing about:flags in the address bar would result in a Google search. WTH o_O

After narrowing things down, I came to the conclusion that the culprits were some flags I had Chromium configured to start with, such as --no-referrers.

It turns out that some flags, such as the --no-referrers, are no longer part of Chromium flags. They're not even part of the updated chrome_switches.cc file. -http://src.chromium.org/svn/trunk/src/chrome/common/chrome_switches.cc

By having Chromium configured to start with such flags, which are no longer valid, certain functionalities were broken.

I wonder why would Chromium developers (May I say Google developers? :rolleyes:) kill, at least, --no-referrers flag?

I don't think it's a bug, otherwise the chrome_switches.cc file wouldn't have been updated to reflect such change, I believe.

I just noticed this today, though. I don't know for how long it has been like that. I found it by "accident".

If I won't be able to disable referrers, this is goodbye to Chromium/Chrome. I guess I'll use Opera again. I kind of miss it, anyway. :p I can apply the same security to it, that I have applied to Chromium, anyway.

I don't know about you, but I personally dislike allowing "websites" know where I come from (if from website B, C, D, etc).

2. m00nbl00d

Heck, it seems that the flag --safe-plugins has been removed as well! WTH o_O

I still had this one enabled. Somehow, I thought it was still valid, but after seeing plugins not working with Chromium... it turns out, it has been removed as well. Oh, bummer... :ouch:

-edit-

The flag --no-referrers seems to be working, even though not mentioned in the updated chrome_switches.cc file. about:flags and similar don't seem to be affected by running this flag. I wonder if they just forgot to add it to the chrome_switches.cc file or if they just forgot to kill it? :D

But, for what I could see so far, --safe-plugins doesn't work.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's possible that those are now native features... You should see if they're available in Chrome and not Chromium.

4. m00nbl00d

I don't think so... I haven't found any settings regarding the flags that were removed.

Regarding the --safe-plugins flag, if it were now native, then any plugin would be forced to run inside the sandbox, at the image of what --safe-plugins does. Therefore, plugins wouldn't have no issues running with my settings.

Due to the nature I have Chromium configured, I always needed to have the --safe-plugins flag enabled, otherwise the plugin in question would always fail to run. Forcing the plugin to the run inside Chromium's sandbox, would make it work.

Therefore, if it was now native, the plugin would still work, considering the plugin hasn't been upgraded in weeks.

Also, why should I be looking at Chrome? I'm running Chromium, not Chrome.

If it hit Chromium, and if a change that's going to stick, it will eventually hit Chrome as well.

-edit-

Not to mention that, if what --safe-plugins does, was now a native feature to Chromium, it would literally cripple Microsoft Silverlight, Java, and most likely other plugins as well.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.