Other security softwares

Discussion in 'polls' started by sir_carew, Apr 4, 2004.

?

Do you use other security software apart of a AV and a FW?

1. Yes, a Anti-Trojan

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Yes, a Anti-Worm

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Yes, a Anti-Spyware

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. A proxy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes, all of the above options plus Windows Update

24 vote(s)
    45.3%
  6. Only Windows Update

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. I only use a AV + FW

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. I don't use any security software!

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hello,
    (I like too much the polls :D)
    Here are a interesting poll.
    I use a Firewall, Anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-trojan and I update my windows each time that a new patch is released, and you?

2. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Since I don't use an anti-Worm like the DCS WormGuard, I had to answer the first one, that I use an anti-Trojan. But of course I use Windows Update {have it set to auto-update but notify me first, on my XP Home computer}. ;)

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

My Windows setup: Outpost firewall and Avast antivirus. Then there's my sme server that acts as my linux firewall/gateway/webserver/mailserver and an arklinux workstation that I is my main system right now (I haven't touched my Windows workstation last couple of days :)).

I quit using IE and OE long time ago. I feel that's a major win.

4. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

I prefer using many programs which let check some aspects of the OS and point out faults. In addition to an antivirus and firewall I use:

- Abtrusion Protector;
    - ScriptSentry;
    - ProcessGuard (free);
    - RegistryProt;
    - Sysinternals Process Explorer;
    - HijackThis;
    - imaging software;

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I use an anti-trojan and anti-spyware programs in addition to a firewall and AV programs.
    I do use Windows Update after a patch has been released for a week or so.

6. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Anti-Trojan, Anti-Spyware, IE spyad, Windows Update, Regprot, HijackThis, CWS + all other cleaners kept in folder for cleaning in case I am not able to connect to Internet. A hardwired firewall in addition to my software one.

List to add - Process Guard - Port Explorer (when I can fully understand how to ues them o_O )

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Is the "Poll" thing working right? I clicked on the first three options, but when I voted, it looked like only one was still check-marked. Pete

8. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

I use all the popular utilities available although I could only make one choice in poll.
    BOClean, Spyblocker stuff, Nod32 V2 and SpyCop.

9. dragonbreath

dragonbreath Guest

Like my security is, just unplug the dang thing man. Psychedelic groovy, righteous man, so righteous. peace.

10. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

A minor critique of the way this poll was set up -- I haven't yet looked at previous replies, so it may have been already covered. There's only two ways to cover Win Update: either with "all of the above", or as the only other protection. There's no provision for a situation like mine, where I use SBlaster and SGuard plus Ad-Aware, plus religiously keep up with MS critical upgrades. So the closest choice I could come up with was just anti-spyware.

And some of the categories are a little fuzzy -- some a-v's and some anti-spyware will catch some trojans, for example. I assume in that case, you were referring specifically to "dedicated" anti-trojans.

Best,
    Mike

11. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I think that, unfortunately, we're only allowed "one of the following". Multiple answers would have covered the situation in my previous reply. Oh, well ...

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, I've voted "all of the above plus windows update" since it's the closest to my actual setup. The only exception is that I do not have a dedicated anti-worm. I have TDS AT and NOD32 AV, use several anti-spy programs and keep Windows updated but without any automation. The only thing I have on auto is NOD32 update.

13. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Detox seems to be my kind of guy - we seem to have similar setups. Not sure what type of FW he's running, though. But I'll bet it's ZA Pro!

14. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Sygate :D

15. hlh70cloud99

hlh70cloud99 Registered Member

:D

Too funny...
    Ad-aware Plus
    Spybot
    SpywareBlaster
    SpywareGuard
    WinPatrol Plus
    CW Shredder
    HijackThis
    3S System Security Suite
    jv16
    Aida32
    Belarc
    McAfee AV & Firewall
    Stinger
    (I know McAfee ain't too popular around these parts, but I have it for a year already paid for, and I haven't had any problems, so I'm gonna use it for the remainder of the subscription, then look into other options lighter on resources, etc.)

16. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I use EVERYTHING including anti-spyware, norton anti virus including windows xp service pack 2. Now my computer is so secured. My computer is certainly one step ahead of ALL the bad guys.

17. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

My setup doesn't appear to fit in any of the options so I've not voted. I have the following:
    • DSL router with firmware firewall;
    • Outpost Pro 2.1 software firewall (with a tight configuration which also filters ads and all webpage active content, e.g. Java, Javascript, ActiveX);
    • System Safety Monitor application firewall;
    • Norton Antivirus 2002 and F-Prot virus scanners (just got the second so am playing with its settings);
    • Tauscan (got this free and I don't consider myself at high-risk from trojans so its flaws don't bother me);
    • Proxomitron (Kills off the most stubborn web ads! Lots of learning required);
    • Java Anonymizing Proxy (encrypts web traffic between my PC and a proxy server - hiding my IP address from visited websites and online activity from ISP records);
    • Opera browser and Eudora email client (like Meneer, I consider not using Internet Explorer and LookOut Express to be security measures) :D.
    I prefer to do updates manually and never use Windows Update due to (a) it requiring Internet Explorer (which is blocked from any network access) and (b) privacy concerns with Microsoft recording GUIDs. Most critical updates are for components I do not use (e.g. Internet Explorer, MSN Messenger) leaving general Windows patches which are usually avaialble as a separate download.

A key point is filtering web page active content. Doing this is the best way of stopping spyware and browser hijackers. It also foils any "anti-ad" software that may be in use on a site (e.g. The Register will show ads regardless of filtering if you allow Javascript to be run). Some sites have problems so, if I think it worthwhile, I relax settings for those sites only. However working out what a "picky" site needs can be time-consuming and I have sometimes delved into the HTML source to (try to) figure out what the problem is.

Could this setup be improved? Certainly! A better anti-trojan (TrojanHunter or TDS-3) could be added. ProcessGuard would also be a sensible addition. However, I consider myself at low risk since I only use web and email - with Usenet downloads, IRC DCC or P2P networking these measures would be more appropriate.

18. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hello sir carew
    same as you but also have tds wormguard and aol spyware scanner and spywareblaster.
    Rita

19. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

I've voted "all of the above plus windows update" but do not have an anti-worm:

BitDefender 7.2 (I change often)
    Outpost Pro 2.1
    Trojan Hunter 3.9
    System Safety Monitor
    Proxomitron
    Ad-aware Professional
    Spybot 1.3
    imaging software
    + some other utilities

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.