Other sandbox software other than SandboxIE ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by southcat, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Hello. I am considering to buy SandboxIE but do we have other stand alone sandbox software just like SandboxIE to choose ?

Thanks for concern.

Regards
    southcat

2. Boost

Boost Registered Member

3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

4. southcat

Thanks you guys for the introduction of those software, really appreciate:) . Geswall seems very powerful but the cost also higher. So i have to know that is Geswall really greater than SandboxIE and it is worth the price ? Anyone can share the experiences ?;)

Thanks for concern.

Regards
    southcat

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have tried them all. They all can be quite effective.

My advice would be to use Sandboxie. Not because it is technically any better. But because it is IMO less technical. Take some baby steps and learn to walk. Later you can run.

Just my opinion.

Sul.

6. Less

Less Registered Member

IIRC sandboxie can run 1 application FOC....

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not sure what you mean, but I run Outlook and browsers sandboxed with Sandboxie all the time.

Pete

8. Less

Less Registered Member

oh i mean , "free to use" but limited to 1 application....

9. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

This is incorrect; it's 1 sandbox at a time, not 1 application. See here.

10. southcat

Hello. Thanks for opinion of you guys. I am sorry i forgot to search wilders to get the information of Geswall and Sandboxie first. Now I already found some useful information for picking Geswall or Sandboxie.

Thanks.

Regards
    southcat

11. ratwing

ratwing Guest

I agree. Less technical does not mean less powerful.

Plus on a purely personal note I have had Blue Screen errors with the last edition of GeSWall.

Just me!!! I know noone else has!!!
    Mileage differs.

rat

12. waters

waters Registered Member

I have

13. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Yes,GeSWall is a hard program not to like,but I just cant have BlueScreen errors.

Maybe a little time to trouble shoot the issue could have resolved it,but...I fled.

rat

14. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

15. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The term "sandbox" can be used to mean different things so it's important to compare like with like. For example, GentleSecurity, the makers of GeSWall, don't consider GeSWall to be a sandbox, see here: http://www.gentlesecurity.com/docs/geswallfaq01.html#q4

Because programs such as GeSWall group programs according to their trust levels, they are sometimes referred to as "policy sandboxes". This is reasonable providing they are not confused with "virtual sandboxes" which behave differently. For comparison, I've summarised in general terms some of the differences between the two types below.

Policy Restriction pros:
    1. Aims to prevent malware from running and can mitigate against the effect of data stealing by malware by locking down access to private data.
    2. Programs run on the real system so no need to operate in a dual world: the world of the virtual system and the world of the real system.

Policy Restriction cons:
    1. Malware may partially run before it is blocked which may leave traces within the real system.
    2. Policy restrictions often have to be temporarily suspended when installing new programs, which increases risk in this scenario.

Virtualisation pros:
    1. Doesn't aim to prevent malware from running but rather to isolate it from the real system so useful for testing software in a safe environment.
    2. Malware can be completely removed by exiting the virtual environment with no traces remaining on the real system.

Virtualisation cons:
    1. Forces the user to operate in a dual world. Data will be lost on exit from the virtual system unless moved from the virtual system to the real system.
    2. Does not prevent malware from running so malware can still do damage while it is running in terms of data stealing, etc.

Conclusion:
    In terms of browser protection, you just can't get better protection than Sandboxie, which combines both application virtualisation and policy restriction features in a single program. Configured correctly, Sandboxie is almost unbeatable.

As Sandboxie provides protection on a per application basis, it can usefully be combined with another application that provides system-wide protection, either of the policy restriction type (GeSWall, DefenseWall, AppGuard, etc) or of the partition virtualisation type (Returnil RVS, Shadow Defender, etc).

16. southcat

Hello. Thanks Pete for the Safespace, it is quite a good choice. But i already purchased Sandboxie, So i will stay with Sandboxie.

Hello pegr. Thank you for help me distinguish Policy Control and Virtualization. I am using Sandboxie for application sandboxing and i will take a look Geswall or Defensewall. Hope this 2 type of software won't conflict with each other.

Thanks for concerns.

Regards
    Southcat

17. Boost

Boost Registered Member

The only 2 you can run together is Sandboxie and Defensewall.

18. southcat

Thanks Boost for the experience sharing.;)

19. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I use Sandboxie in conjunction with AppGuard and Shadow Defender, and can confirm that all three coexist quite happily together. The same is true of the Sandboxie, AppGuard, Returnil combination.

20. southcat

Hello pegr. Thanks for the experience sharing also. I am looking for Process Guard replacement, is the Appguard can do the same things like Process Guard ?

Thank you.

Regards
    southcat

21. I've probably said this before, but... SBIE free is adware, and I do not like to support adware. IMHO if Tzuk is going to be that way he should just eliminate the free version altogether, seeing how obnoxious the ads make it. Meanwhile I will use other software instead, even if it's less convenient.

22. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I've never used Process Guard so I can't say whether or not AppGuard is similar.

You can read all about AppGuard in the following thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=231689&highlight=appguard. The official AppGuard representative, Eirik Iverson, is very helpful and I'm sure he will be pleased to answer any questions you might have.

Also, a White Paper is available from Blue Ridge Networks which explains how AppGuard works: http://www.blueridgenetworks.com/docs/AppGuard-Technology-Computer-Protection-White-Paper.pdf

In terms of where AppGuard is positioned, security wise, I would say that it is not as comprehensive as either GeSWall or DefenseWall but this is deliberate as it has been designed to be very easy to use and light on the system in performance terms. According to Blue Ridge Networks, AppGuard will stop around 90% of threats with only a fraction of the cost in complexity and performance of a fully featured HIPS. A 64-bit version is currently in development and is expected to become available later this year so the future prospects for the program look good.

The other point worth mentioning is licensing. The AppGuard license is lifetime, covering up to three PC's and all future software upgrades for a single one-time payment of $24.95. A free 30-day trial is available if you want to evaluate AppGuard for yourself.

23. southcat

Hello Pegr, Thanks for introduction of AppGuard. Because from my signature you can see that i am using some HIPS already, So i just looking for a good anti-executable software to replace Process Guard only, but i will take a look onto it, if AppGuard really worth to consider, i will think how to put into my security setup.

Hi Gullible Jones, thanks for your replied. After i did some researched in wilders forum, is the accused sandboxie of spyware is because their website problem ?

Thanks for concerns.

Regards
    southcat

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  24. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

In fact SandboxIE free is not adware! If the aim is to be rigorous, then we can say it is nagware.

And there are no need to "eliminate the free version altogether" if the ads make it obnoxious - the user can do "a one-time registration fee of €26 Euros to get a life-time registration key to this and all future versions of the Sandboxie program". Why? Because it is mainly a shareware product that allow to users enjoy the use of it for free with a few restrictions.

BTW, there are too many free app. that are adware, or comes bundled with it - SandboxIE isn't in these combos definitely.

25. dlimanov

dlimanov Registered Member

\

I forgot all about SafeSpace. Tried it for a week and all was good, but IE8 was slowed down considerably for me to drop it. Opera and FireFox worked fine though. Nice product, too bad it's dropped an no longer developed/supported, it had a lot of potential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.